Yikes!! Stanford calling my computer!!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Sailfish, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Sailfish macrumors regular

What the hell is this? I though Folding is supposed to be working offline and when finished then sending it's results when I'm online?

I got a attempted dial-in and after further narrowing down it was my Folding@home attempting to also reestablish a connection to the Stanford server.

Is Folding@home creating a backdoor for anyone to access?

What the hell is this business?

Someone hacked the Folding app?

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Check your settings. I'm pretty sure that F@H tries to connect on its own when needed.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It could simply be that it was unable to return results earlier and it was trying again after 6 hours.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Sometimes the servers are down.

there are 2 times it (tries) to connect to a server.

Downloading a new WU or core

Uploading the results.

anything else... well there is nothing else.

5. Sailfish thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm experiencing some kind of strange behavior, attempted dial outs before the WU is finished and attempted dial-ins.

I was under the impression it downloaded a WU, finished it and asked for more. Not try to dial out beforehand.

Well I'll keep a eye on it, it's isolated machine anyway, still don't want it hacked. Smart boys at Stanford, hacking away in their computer labs. ; )

6. vannote macrumors member

I seriously doubt anyone in the Pande Group is interested in hacking into your machine. You have other issues.

7. Sailfish thread starter macrumors regular

Seti and Folding both call out prematurely I've noticed before a WU is finished.

Was a bit upsetting on a voice line, got a phone call I guess at the same time Folding was prematurely dialing out.

No big deal, just raised my paranoia.

8. vannote macrumors member

I don't use a dial out connection so I could be off the mark here but...

I suspect this is OS X trying to establish an IP connection for a requesting application, in this case it would be the folding and seti apps.

I did see settings in the network preference panel for modem and PPP that would prevent a connect on demand.

Regards

9. Sailfish thread starter macrumors regular

Just a update, the time and date were off on my dedicated folding machine, that was creating considerable problems and Folding was trying to call "home" all the time.

I must have received a incoming phone call while Folding was trying to dial out.

I've shut down the Lombard, it was completing a Seti WU every 28-29 hours, not really worth wasting the electricity and generating heat.

I got a folding running on the eMac 800.

But my real workhorse is my Dual G5 2 ghz, whacking out a Seti every few hours and a Folding every few days.

I just can't wait to get a Dual 3 ghz G5 this summer.

I'm addicted to the power.

10. vannote macrumors member

I don't know about the electricity, I never noticed much of a difference on my electric bill, but I do agree on the heat issue. I don't fold on my PowerBook, only the desktops, for this very reason.

It's almost like grabbing a frying pan by the wrong end. :D I hate it when I do that...

11. Sailfish thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I kept open and raised to allow air flow, it has a smashed screen so it was mirrored to a TV, so I used the display off feature.

It was running just fine for months without ever having to do anything except having to jump off my dial-up if I heard it calling out.

But I got the EyeTV and ATI remote package for my 23" and really don't need that bulky TV hogging up space anymore.

I'm shopping for a nice 50+ large screen which I'll hook up to the G5 and mount over my setup.

I can't wait to get it all together and post pictures online.

Oh Santa? You listening? : )