Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
New PowerBook 1GHz has arrived....

Very fast....

Much brighter screen

Much louder in terms of the fan stakes... (does the graphics card have one too now?? as the right hand side vent seems to indicate that something is lurking there!!

Better quality finish (paint and overall solidness compared to Rev A!)

Wicked Mercedes quailty clunk on the Superdrive when sucking in a disc (this I find reassuring compared to the wheeze of my old rev A) and it even suckered me into thinking it was faulty at first, because I had to push discs almost all the way in!! (Instructions says 80% of disc needs to be pushed in)

However.... it has 2 stuck pixels (still annoying...... I've yet to own any PowerBook with a perfect screen, even the replacement screen Apple stuck on my old Rev A TiBook, had 2 dead pixels and a stuck one!!

Superdrive is abit squeaky when accessing discs.

DVI to VGA connector doesn't tighten up on the PowerBook side, so my external monitor is always on the edge of disconnecting....

All in all, not bad.... but because of the connection problem, I've decided to reject the machine and ask for a new one, only thing is, Apple Store UK is closed till December 30th, luckily the refunds and replacments is 10 working days, not 10 days.... heh heh!!

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Re: Yipppeeee!! PowerBook!!

I dont like those dead pixels and stuck connections :(

BTW, there is finaly Apple Store in croatia, yeaaah!!
I can try any mac in there now! :D

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
i had no dead pixels on my ti800.. and still don't. Let's hope i just didn't jinx myself.

Congrats on the TiGig. It will serve you well as mine has and still is serving me.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Glad to hear you finally got your 1Ghz Ti, even if you have to return it :( I know you've been waiting for a long time to move on from your Rev A. :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by edesignuk
Glad to hear you finally got your 1Ghz Ti, even if you have to return it :( I know you've been waiting for a long time to move on from your Rev A. :)

Cheers buddy!! It really is a storming machine, and side by side benchmarks with my rev a in After Effects, it's totally crushing it, in the region of 3-4 times faster over a render...... I'm well chuffed with the performance!!

It' a shame about the DVI connection and the 2 stuck pixels (A red and a green one), mainly the DVI connection though, I've checked the connectors 2 screws and the threads are fine, so something is a miss on the PowerBook, luckily though Apples refund policy (and hence replacment) is 10 working days and 14 days respectively so with Christmas getting in the way, I should be okay for awhile yet!! I'll be calling the Applestore when they re-open on the 30th!! First thing..... then I can sort all this jazz out!!

But hey, at least I get to use my mac this xmas, unlike last year when my old TiBook went to Apple in November, and I didn't see it again till the following year!! heh heh!!

Bitter.... me...... :p :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.