Yitzhak Rabin, rest in peace

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mechcozmo, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Ten years ago, Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated. He had been in the military, defending his country since the age of 16. After the high point of his military career, "the capture of the Western Wall," he began to wage a new war for peace.
    "We are embarking today on a war in which there are no fallen and injured, and not blood nor suffer. And it is the only war in which it is a pleasure to participate - the war for the peace." --Yitzak Rabin
    He was shot over his attempts to give up land for peace, by an Israeli extremist.
    Personally, this is his most moving quote: "Military cemeteries in every corner of the world are silent testimony to the failure of national leaders to sanctify human life."
    Some of you will note that he died November 4th, not the 6th, the day I am posting this. On the Hebrew calendar, however, it is 10 years ago.

I thought it would be nice to remember him and his efforts for peace. I hope that he has found peace of his own.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It was very said. He had just been to a peace rally and then assassinated. One of the truly great men in the history of Israel. I wish him peace also.

3. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Perhaps the saddest thing was that the "Song of Peace" (Shir haShalom) had blood on it afterwards. One of the most horrifying things...:(