Yoga bad for kids. Naughty, naughty.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iJohnHenry, Nov 18, 2012.

1. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Only in California. :confused:

OK, this is way out there, not to mention mutually exclusive IMO.

Shower, 'devil', 'soul'?? Better not try that in a seminary. ;)

2. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

All I have to say to Mr Broyles is...

[​IMG]

3. macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Only problem I see with it is yoga pants. :coolface:

4. macrumors 603

What's next? Lawsuits to ban gym class?

5. macrumors 603

thekev

That is just so silly. They took the positive aspects of yoga and stripped out any cultural reference, yet it's somehow a practice of religion:rolleyes:?

6. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Unno, they're comfy as hell and my girlfriend's bum looks amazing in them.

All joking aside, I have to agree with thekev, they've stripped most of the religion out of it here in the US. There is tho, a touch of spiritualism left though, but nothing inherently "anti-Christian", unless you count veganism as "anti-Christian" (tho, veganism is just evil to me). My GF's gotten me into yoga, she's worried that with my health issues that I'm going to be an old lady before my time, and I've got to admit, it's helping. If yoga can be used to help the children of our country to fight the obesity problem, then Mr Broyles and his clients need to ****.

7. macrumors 603

thekev

Well I was going by this portion.
    If it's a healthy exercise, I don't see anything wrong with this. I can remember weight training in high school (part of gym). The gym teachers had no idea how to teach lifting form or supervise such things, especially on stuff like cleans or deadlifts. Some of the kids put way too much back into it. I have an issue with that. I just see this as a religious group acting out of spite.

8. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

This is stupid. We need to be adding MORE physical activities into the school system, not removing them... especially something as beneficial as yoga.

Agreed. Yeah it was like that back in school for me as well. Form is crucial and the teachers didn't have the credentials to properly teach it.

9. thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If you look a little deeper, you can see that the values of yoga are in stark contrast to the constant dogma of religion.

Inner peace, contemplation, reflection, questioning, all these and more are an anathema to religious control.

Some aren't so lucky. :eek:

10. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

What? Your buns don't look hot in yoga pants?

I'm sure you're being too hard on yourself.

11. macrumors 603

thekev

The other dumb thing is grading on improvements to max lifts as opposed to factoring in form. It's possible to push more weight in a really bad manner if form is ignored. I agree that things like yoga could be beneficial.

Maybe that is what they hate:p.

12. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

This is true. There's a woman in my class... I give her props for coming to every class and she is genuinely losing weight, but ye gods, it's like 20lbs of potatoes in a 10lb bag.

13. macrumors 6502a

Does she know you're such a judgmental dick?

14. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Judgmental bitch. Get the insult right, darling.

15. macrumors 68000

Well any yoga pants greater than size Medium should be burned.

---

The flip side is I do laugh at the countless stories of yogis and yoga goers hurting themselves because not everyone is really cut out for the intensity of the workout. It's a bit funny for all the yuppies that picked it up only to get hurt.

16. macrumors 6502a

LOL, my bad...

17. macrumors 68000

Sydde

What I think they hate is that yoga is supposed to be done shy of the body's limits. It is not supposed to be painful, each person should only do what they can. That makes it rather difficult to grade. And, of course, young women are not supposed to do inverted positions while the are having their period, lest stuff leak backwards and cause endometriosis :)rolleyes:).

Personally, I think it might be worth trying yoga, tai chi and other forms of low-impact physical activity in the classroom, concurrent with academics. Kids would probably be more receptive to learning in such an environment.

18. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

This changes everything :p

19. macrumors 603

thekev

I don't know on that one. I get you on yoga form. I was referring to lifting before when it came to form. I think when it came to that, the emphasis was completely wrong. Strength training isn't a bad thing at all. The same goes for Yoga. In both situations they need to be taught properly. I have no idea how your suggestion would work out. It's interesting in that sitting for hours doesn't really make kids more receptive to anything.