Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Ordered mine on Monday from Amazon ($37 shipped) & got it yesterday. The middle of the ride side (where there's a magnet) is sticking up about 3-4 mm. I packed it right back up to return, but will try your method of bending it inward and stacking books on top. That sticky pad looks like a good idea too. The smell is bad and I'm not looking forward to the bits of the interior material coming off all over the place (especially in bed).

My edges are laying down better now, not sure if they'll ever lay down completely flat but they aren't sticking up enough to bother me. I actually don't mind the smell but I'm sure it will fade with time. I am still getting little black specs coming off the felt material and it sucks, I would have preferred a leather interior like the PDAir rather than the felt.

AGEC2008 - This Amazon seller is showing 1 left in stock, but price is on the high side: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Yoobao-Genuine-Leather-Kickstand/dp/B003LJK81I

AGEC2008

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
My edges are laying down better now, not sure if they'll ever lay down completely flat but they aren't sticking up enough to bother me. I actually don't mind the smell but I'm sure it will fade with time. I am still getting little black specs coming off the felt material and it sucks, I would have preferred a leather interior like the PDAir rather than the felt.

AGEC2008 - This Amazon seller is showing 1 left in stock, but price is on the high side: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Yoobao-Genuine-Leather-Kickstand/dp/B003LJK81I

Thanks. My boss just picked up one from that seller, but I just didn't want to spend that money, but I might have to. I should have just bought the one from the seller in CA that was posted earlier, but oh well. Thanks for the link.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Does the stitching look like it was done by a 3 year old? or would you say it's straight lines all around? It doesn't look like that at first glance.

My Yoobao case arrived this afternoon!! I purchased it from eBay from the seller "sm_wireless_store", total shipping time was 3 days. I am posting some quick pictures I took this afternoon and I will post a full video review when I get home tonight. First impressions are as follows:

- Leather is very thick and a lot of texture/grain. Feels great not cheap.
- Case keeps the thin feeling of the iPad (like the Apple case does).
- Has 3 magnets along the edge to hold the cover closed, very nice in my opinion.
- There is no flap along the spine edge where you insert the iPad (a bummer).
- All ports are accessible and side coverage is pretty good (but corners are exposed).
- Rigidity of the cover is good but not great, has more bend/give than the Apple case.
- Flip over and tuck stand works great, just like the Apple case.
- Interior is a soft felt material and is shedding a bunch, I suspect this will stop after a few days but right now I have little black specs all over my screen and on my desk.

More details will be in my video review.
Thanks, Richard

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
The stitching looks fine, lines are straight and stitching is even, definitely a professional looking case, gets a lot of compliments and iPad owners with the Apple branded case are jealous.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Downsides. edges are more exposed. I'm not convinced the ipad will stay in the case.

Crap! I literally just ordered the other yoobao case and now this. This always happens to me. I must have like 5 iPhone cases floating around.

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
did anyone end up buying from this eBay seller?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200471025426#ht_3466wt_1122

For the price and free shipping looks like a good case, but you never know before you get one.

To me it looks even better than Yoobao case?

That does look good , however I'm wondering what keeps the flap in place when using the stand feature ? It shows all kinds of angles yet there aren't any locking pieces. It has a magnet in the flap but is the whole back magnetic ? I sure would hope not !

What am I missing ? :confused:

Formul

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Czech Republic
maybe the back has some thin metal layer inside? and thats why the flap is so huge, because the magnet needs bigger space to be effective?

cy88

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
What makes you think it has the flap along the spine edge? None of the pictures show the opening and the ones that show some part of it look like the edge is open just like the Yoobao. I have seen that case for a while on eBay and based on the price I can't image the leather is high quality. If you look closely at the pictures of the inside frame it appears the leather is very thin and poorly cut. In any case, whoever gets one of these please post pictures and commentary.

To be honest, I don't think the Apple/YooBao case was that high quality either!

With that said, you are probably right - This $12.50 case is going to made up of cheap quality. However, if it turns out to be only the same/close enough quality of the YooBao, and no flap on the opening, at least you've only spent $12.50! :p

Like Formul said, I just think there's a flap based on how the bending of the "leather" is. I bought this case before seeing this thread so this whole flapper thing wasn't in my mind at all. I just went back and check the pictures :)

I will do a quick review once I get it. It was shipped on May 19th, so I should be getting it by the end of next week, hopefully.

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
mcdj said:
"NOTICE:
This is the upgraded version, Compared with the older versions, the most important improvement:prevent the sliding out!"

With this improvement and my final sheer frustration with the outside of the apple case getting dirty, I ordered one. While I love the functionality of the Apple case, I just can't stand trying to keep it clean anymore!

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Pretty amazing how quickly they added a flap, huh? It seemed like such an obvious design oversight in the first place and now just a week or so passes and they have flaps? That's a FAST production run!

tikidoc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2010
Wow, that was fast. I already had one on order from the guy in CA, but I guess the flap is not worth an extra $15-20 to me. I can't see using the ipad stood up in the landscape mode much anyway, and there is always the sticky stuff designed for dashboards.

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Well it's great that Yoobao is responsive to issues with their case but sucks for those of us who already have one! I love the case and the flap will only seal the deal for me so I'm going to order the newer version and then put my old one on eBay or CL. Another bummer is that I get to go thru the shedding of the internal felt all over again.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Has anyone tried to move icons from one screen to the other? It seems like it would be difficult since the leather frame goes right to the edge of the screen.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Has anyone tried to move icons from one screen to the other? It seems like it would be difficult since the leather frame goes right to the edge of the screen.

This is why I'll never use a case that comes up to the edge of the screen. I hated iPhone cases that did that, it's so much nicer to have the full face of the iPad unobstructed.

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
FYI, The leather does NOT come to the edge of screen. I ordered one of the new versions with the flap and paid a little extra to get priority shipping from China so hopefully I'll have it next week.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I got lucky. I emailed the seller I bought the first case mentioned in this thread from on ebay, who it seems is actually Yoobao or their factory direct reseller. I inquired about the other case mentioned in this thread...

http://yoobao.en.alibaba.com/produc...k_Leather_Case_Folio_Book_For_Apple_iPad.html

I was told my case (the pre-flap version) was just about to ship today, but that they would stop that order and just send me the Executive instead when it becomes available at the end of the month.

/blog post

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Space
I think this is the perfect case with the flap added. Not surprising they would increase the price considering the older version was selling great without the flap.

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
FYI, The leather does NOT come to the edge of screen. I ordered one of the new versions with the flap and paid a little extra to get priority shipping from China so hopefully I'll have it next week.

We're talking about the same case pictured in the original post right?

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
vynn said:
We're talking about the same case pictured in the original post right?

Yes I am typing on my iPad with the Yoobao case right now and can tell you that the leather border does not come right up to the edge of the display, there is about a 1/8th inch gap all the way around.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
Yes I am typing on my iPad with the Yoobao case right now and can tell you that the leather border does not come right up to the edge of the display, there is about a 1/8th inch gap all the way around.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Greg

vynn

macrumors member
May 18, 2010

1/8th inch is enough to get in the way when moving apps from one screen to another. Not that it's done frequently but it's enough to be annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.