Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
As I was reading about the new, smartcover-style Yoobao: Isn't there anybody out there, who has this thread's case? I mean the Yoobao Lively? I'm actually still waiting for mine to arrive. I'd love to hear from you guys what your experiences are!

I have it and its my favourite case to date with just one single flaw - the bottom iPod xommecter is rendered useless due to the front of the case blocking anything with a plug that is bigger than the port itself. For me this is pretty much every cable. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will answer them.

orschinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
Okay mine finally arrived today and I gotta say: it really is the closest thing to the original apple ipdad case yet. and to me it's the best ipad 2 case so far - the switcheasy canvas being fantastic as well and providing more protection, but doing so at the cost of added weight and bulkiness.

The Yoobao Lively is very well produced and puts its sibbling the Yoobao Executive Leather case (as sold by AYL) to shame, even though the latter is real leather, whereas the Lively is fake leather.

Sleep/wake works like a charm.

The connector cutout really is the only little flaw, being kind of a "tight fit" - but nevertheless, for me, the cable connection still works just fine.

I'll post a video review as soon as possible (which - unfortunately for most of you guys - will be in German then).

swishbrade

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
The Yoobao Lively is very well produced and puts its sibbling the Yoobao Executive Leather case (as sold by AYL) to shame, even though the latter is real leather, whereas the Lively is fake leather.

fake leather is a deal breaker for me :(

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
Okay mine finally arrived today and I gotta say: it really is the closest thing to the original apple ipdad case yet. and to me it's the best ipad 2 case so far - the switcheasy canvas being fantastic as well and providing more protection, but doing so at the cost of added weight and bulkiness.

Sleep/wake works like a charm.

The connector cutout really is the only little flaw, being kind of a "tight fit" - but nevertheless, for me, the cable connection still works just fine.

I'll post a video review as soon as possible (which - unfortunately for most of you guys - will be in German then).

Thanks! Along with the video, mind posting some close up shots here?

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
fake leather is a deal breaker for me :(
you should really reconsider that statement considering the quality of leather Yoobao usually uses is the lowest grade known to man, and then to make matters worse dowses with them with some kind of highly toxic chemicals that no doubt are cancer causing and produce an odor worse than a decomposing body!

They're manufacturing and production process has no oversight what so ever, so who really knows what's coming out of the factories, certainly not made with any environmentally friendly elements. All the complaints for the different cases they make, should be a huge red flag for any one considering a purchase.

It may be cheap case for folks to get in the short run and look like a good value, but I wouldn't let any of your children touch these products.

Why someone has not had one of them analyzed is amazing to me.

Last edited:

orschinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
you should really reconsider that statement considering the quality of leather Yoobao usually uses and then dowses with them with some kind of highly toxic chemicals that no doubt are cancer causing and produce an odor worse than a decomposing body!

Having both, the Exececutive Leather Case AND the Lively Case, I gotta say: the latter with the fake leather is WAYWAY nicer to touch and use than the real leather one. It's very well produced and sturdy - whereas the Executive Leather is floppy as hell. Is hell floppy?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Having both, the Exececutive Leather Case AND the Lively Case, I gotta say: the latter with the fake leather is WAYWAY nicer to touch and use than the real leather one. It's very well produced and sturdy - whereas the Executive Leather is floppy as hell. Is hell floppy?

Completely agree.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Just make sure y'all wash your hand throughly after use!

The Lively doesn't have that issue. I've had leather rev1, rev 2 and Liveley. rev 2 was way better than rev 1. Lively is the best yet - no smells or residue left on the hands.

orschinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
The Lively doesn't have that issue. I've had leather rev1, rev 2 and Liveley. rev 2 was way better than rev 1. Lively is the best yet - no smells or residue left on the hands.

Same here. That greasy, oily feeling leather rev1 and rev2 left on the fingertips was really kind of scary...
None of that with the Lively.

swishbrade

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
you should really reconsider that statement considering the quality of leather Yoobao usually uses is the lowest grade known to man,

That actually makes sense ;) ok I will stay away from their stuff.

Any other case with the same form factor and with better quality of leather used?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
Same here. That greasy, oily feeling leather rev1 and rev2 left on the fingertips was really kind of scary...
None of that with the Lively.
I did have the slightly greasy feel on my Yoobao rev1 Executive leather case but not the rev2. The rev2 smells like just leather to me now too(been using it off and on and lending it to others for about a month or so). I think the leather is very nice on it. I don't see why someone wouldn't like it. It has a very nice texture and soft feel which I really like. The vintage leather of the Melkco slimme case has a much better look but I still like softer leather of the Yoobao Executive leather rev2 case too.

How tight does the lively case fit the ipad 2? With the flap tucked in all the way can you move the ipad 2 right and left in portrait orientation without moving the flap that tucks in? I notice some of the other cases made of similar PU material seemed to fit a little loose. You could also tell that the most on the right side in portrait mode where the other case made to look like the original ipad 1 that I tried (Acase) bowed in a little.

cz9h3d

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
My Yoobao executive leather case is nice, but the iPad just doesn't stay put inside. Is this better on the Lively? The flap to secure the iPad still looks short. I'm about to tape or Velcro mine to try to keep it in the case correctly.

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
You can fix the short tab on the yoobao executive leather case by cutting an extended tab out of cardboard and taping it to the end of the existing leather tab. I used the white cardboard that was part of the packaging of the case. Just crinkle it back and forth for about an inch or two right next to the tab so that the cardboard folds in easily without making the tape come off. I will take a pic of mine when I get home. You can not tell that it was done unless you take the iPad out. It hasn't moved since I did that.

Update: added photos

Attachments

• Photos_0.jpg
    Photos_0.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Photos_1.jpg
    Photos_1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Photos_2.jpg
    Photos_2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

orschinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
My Yoobao executive leather case is nice, but the iPad just doesn't stay put inside. Is this better on the Lively? The flap to secure the iPad still looks short. I'm about to tape or Velcro mine to try to keep it in the case correctly.

Ipad2 stays put inside, yes. Not at all like Yoobao Leather Case. And the flap is longer also.

ddk121

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
Wales, UK
I just got this case this morning, I cannot recommend it highly enough. It does an awesome job protecting the iPad. If your looking for an iPad 2 case which fits in an almost identical way to the original iPad Apple case, this is the case your looking for!

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I took some snaps of the various holes in the case. They all line up perfectly - some photo angles don't illustrate this however the front section around the dock connector does inhibit the use of some cables in my opinion such as the Digital AV connector. You can plug it in but the case is pressing up hard against it and most likely putting strain on the connection. I think the front section of the case around this port needs cut away a little to make it perfect.

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
Does the cover have the other magnets in it to help hold it to the front of the ipad 2 or does it only have the sleep/wake magnets?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Does the cover have the other magnets in it to help hold it to the front of the ipad 2 or does it only have the sleep/wake magnets?

Not sure, it has the smart feature but the cover also stays closed on its own - most likely due to the whole cover being much firmer than the other Yoobao cases. If you hold it upside down and pull the cover open while grasping it on the left side and let the cover go it goes straight back to the closed position but it doesn't seem to click in place as if magnets were pulling it shut.

orschinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
I think the front section of the case around this port needs cut away a little to make it perfect.

Have you tried cutting it yourself? I think I might give it a shot...
Other than that minor issue:

Best case out there (for original apple ipad1-case-lovers, that is).

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Have you tried cutting it yourself? I think I might give it a shot...
Other than that minor issue:

Best case out there (for original apple ipad1-case-lovers, that is).

I'm very close to doing just that. I have a few similar types of case to try out but this is definitely the best alrounder.

waylay00

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
Just pulled the trigger on a Lively. Don't see why it isn't more popular, just judging by its features. It's clean, slim, and covers most of the edges. Isn't that what a case is for? I don't see why people complain about it covering the bezel if they are wanting a case to begin with...

Hopefully, it will live up to my expectations.

tofubean

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
I'd been using my lively case for a month or so. I have the white one and it's been useful so far. It's very light which is very good compared to certain cases. Its sleep and wake function also works well. But unfortunately when placed in a bag, it tends to wake the ipad upon the slightest movement because the lid will shift as well. It's that light...

Another annoying thing is after i place the ipad in standing position for many times, I get the black stains in the below picture.

Probably the best to get the black case instead...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.