Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
I love it when companies do stuff like this. I'm a technology junkie and I hate that it's held back by people who refuse to upgrade. 3 years is a LONG time to own a computer regardless of if it works or not. It's not a car, it's a computer. Even a brand new computer is typically already outdated by the time it makes it to the shelves for sale. Hate my logic all you want, but I love this kind of stuff.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Sorry to say this, but being able to see the writing on the screen is important; size matters y'know.

Performance is about the same as a "modern" machine; but whatever, at least I can max out my CPU by ripping a DVD using HandBrake.

Having the ability to change the disk, now SSD, whenever I need is also a bonus. With the same RAM as is available now, I can still run 4 VMWare VMs and still use the machine for something else.

Now stop drinking the kool aid and check out the lack of new features in the "latest" machines -- as pushed by the appropriately named Mr Shiller. They're smaller than necessary; don't have replaceable parts; have shiny shiny displays (no choice of the matt screen for you); don't have an ethernet chuff for secure networks. My machine's battery life's long enough for me (4+ hours, more if I turn off JavaScript). Oh, and have a look at the benchmarks -- three years has moved performance on from 11,051 to 14,418 woo hoo.

Oh well, back on my head...

To focus on performance for a second... You do realise Intel hasn't focused on performance since Sandy Bridge? Since then it's been a massive drive for performance per watt. That's the measure you ought to be really looking at and is the reason laptops have gotten thinner, lighter and much much longer battery life. Performance is already more than I need. So long as Skylake onwards focuses more back towards performance then I'll be happy.
I know ARM chips look like they are making insane performance gains year on year but that will hit a wall soon enough. Same thing happened to Intel. Plus the performance has definitely improved.

I can see the writing on screen crystal clear, you can't seriously be suggesting that the display on the 17" MBP is superior to the 15" retina display? High DPI + excellent scaling make it look just incredible. Plus I don't like matte displays, but having one or the other doesn't make that display intrinsically superior or worse, its personal preference.

Being able to change out the parts myself would be nice but it's a trade off and one which I'm happy to accept for the stunning design. Mac's never appealed to me before the rMBP, now I wouldn't have anything else. As for lack of new features, they update them with the latest tech, I have thought long and hard about what I would like to see next and tbh I mostly come back to just upgrading the silicon which is what they do, maybe a better FaceTime camera, that's about it. Yosemite with the new calling features is really useful to me. What new features would you be wanting?

I'll agree with you on the ethernet port, but I get why they did not include it. It's huge compared to the thickness of the Mac's body, plus there are adapters for it and when compared to the cost of something like this its a pretty small purchase.

Apple would have made a 17" if it had been profitable for them but clearly it wouldn't have been worth their while. For me the 15" is perfect and the blend of hardware and design is second to none. Just glad OS X is getting a UI makeover.

Tony.Skid

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Italy
Well, seems that my early 2011 MacBookPro will not work... But, Removing the "old" airport/bluetooth card and put in a newer one from a MBPro Mid 2012 could solve the problem! Actually, both have same connections and same size, so it could be a good workaround! Better than "trash" my customised MacBook (8 Gb Ram 1600 + 500Gb Ssd)... Plus, here in Italy, a new 15" rMBP cost about US$ 3400, too much

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
Well, seems that my early 2011 MacBookPro will not work... But, Removing the "old" airport/bluetooth card and put in a newer one from a MBPro Mid 2012 could solve the problem! Actually, both have same connections and same size, so it could be a good workaround! Better than "trash" my customised MacBook (8 Gb Ram 1600 + 500Gb Ssd)... Plus, here in Italy, a new 15" rMBP cost about US$ 3400, too much

Shame there isn't a way to normalize price. It's a shame that the cost is that high making the product so costly to other countries.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
How frustrating!

Without the continuity and airdrop features, I really don't feel like they did anything for OS X or iOS this year aside from change some fonts and icons.

Don't get me wrong, they're great releases for developers, but until they take advantage of these features, is there actually anything relevant for the end user aside from some widgets in notification center?

I guess i'm just bitter because the only reason I won't have access to the features is because my crappy old Dell laptop died a couple of months before the retina MBP's came out, leaving me with the Late 2011 model.

:(

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) lets you detect devices and communicate with them without requiring that you pair them. It also uses very little energy to communicate.

Bluetooth advertises the presence of the device to tell everything that it is okay to start talking.
Call Routing then takes place via FaceTime Audio, bridged through phone.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
I can see the writing on screen crystal clear, you can't seriously be suggesting that the display on the 17" MBP is superior to the 15" retina display? High DPI + excellent scaling make it look just incredible. Plus I don't like matte displays, but having one or the other doesn't make that display intrinsically superior or worse, its personal preference.

This 17" Mac is my third or fourth, and alas, last. Whilst one can't deny the wonder of the retina displays, they're still too small to be able to code full screen. Maybe it's an age thing, but I'd sooner sit a way away from the screen.

In any case I use these Thunderbolt displays; in the office or at home. The MBP sits on a stand and is the secondary display for emails, diary & tunes.

For me, I'd rather we had square screens with 2000 pixels high and wide. That way you can see text. I really couldn't care about wide screens as I have a telly for that; my computers are for work, and work is coding. I guess I ought to buy another Thunderbolt display and stick two side-by-side vertically.

It's such a pity that the MBPs are just too small for me. But as this 17" works well, there's little/no point in upgrading any time soon.

darkelipse04

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2004
Philadelphia
Why would they use wifi? There would be no incentive for you to buy a new computer then.

Since they plan on using Wifi for the phone calling through the computer I don't see why Wifi wouldn't be an option or alternative.

From the Beta 2 Change Log:

"Phone call relay uses Bluetooth when it should be using Wi-Fi. Since not all devices have the necessary Bluetooth support, this may fail on some hardware."

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Since they plan on using Wifi for the phone calling through the computer I don't see why Wifi wouldn't be an option or alternative.

"-Phone call relay uses Bluetooth when it should be using Wi-Fi. Since not all devices have the necessary Bluetooth support, this may fail on some hardware."

They are in the market to sell you a new computer.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
They are in the market to sell you a new computer.

This just in, we have breaking news to report. It appears that a company wants to make a profit! This is absolutely unheard of and we can't believe the reports that are flying in. Stand by for further developments.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
This 17" Mac is my third or fourth, and alas, last. Whilst one can't deny the wonder of the retina displays, they're still too small to be able to code full screen. Maybe it's an age thing, but I'd sooner sit a way away from the screen.

In any case I use these Thunderbolt displays; in the office or at home. The MBP sits on a stand and is the secondary display for emails, diary & tunes.

For me, I'd rather we had square screens with 2000 pixels high and wide. That way you can see text. I really couldn't care about wide screens as I have a telly for that; my computers are for work, and work is coding. I guess I ought to buy another Thunderbolt display and stick two side-by-side vertically.

It's such a pity that the MBPs are just too small for me. But as this 17" works well, there's little/no point in upgrading any time soon.

What a faux argument.

Late 2008 rings in at 1920x1200.
A retina is 2880x1800.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
It won't.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if swapping a bluetooth/airport card from a 2012+ MBP into one of the older MBPs enabled it. Perhaps some software tweaking would be required as well, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

I'll be ordering one and testing.

How do you know the phone thing won't work?

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Probably not. Apple may limit Handoff to built-in bluetooth only.

There's already a precedent with PowerNap: it only works with MBAs and rMBPs that have always shipped with factory-installed SSDs. There's technically nothing preventing my 2009 MBP 13" with Samsung SSD from having PowerNap (since its firmware already supports Dark Wake mode), except for Apple's refusal to do so.

Speaking of SSDs, Mac OS X supported TRIM command since version 10.6.6 or so, but it artificially limits the feature to those that identify themselves to the system as "APPLE SSD". Of course, there are utilities that patch the system driver so that 3rd party SSDs work with TRIM, but still.

Another example: in iOS 3.0 (then called iPhone OS) Apple caved in to demand and added support for MMS, however it was limited to iPhone 3G and 3GS, leaving out the original iPhone. So the jailbreak community quickly discovered that one of the system frameworks had a check for model version, basically saying: "if you're not iPhone 3G or newer, then no MMS for you!" There was also a patch that enabled MMS on jailbroken 2G iPhones, proving that all required support was already in place.

Anyone want to give it a shot? Reasonable $12 gamble...

IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter
http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU521/dp/B007GFX0PY/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.