Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
For what reasons one should prefer to install Yosemite and not El Capitan and why? Questions stands vice versa also of course!

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
Personally I prefer Mavericks, both Yosemite and El Capitan have too many bugs.

If Apple seriously improves El Capitan it might become good OS, on the other hand if they keep the current release schedule odds of it happening are very low... :(

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
If you are currently using Mavericks I would strongly suggest that you stay there. I tried both Yosemite and El Cap. and I was disappointed with both of them. Yosemite (for me) was just awful, the UI was laggy and Safari + Wireless was horrendous. El Cap. was an improvement, but it simply does not compare to the snappy response and feel that I get running Mavericks.......and here I will be staying for the foreseeable future.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
What kind of bugs are you talking about Ebenezum?

Too many to list all of them, major examples:

1. Spotlight cant find all files, reindex is only a short bandaid and problem is back within one day.
2. Time Machine is too unreliable, restore wont work most of times I tested.
3. USB devices are unreliable.

You may want to look at El Capitan bugs thread...

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
We have some systems on 10.10 and others on 10.11. There is a trackpad issue on a MBPr and the website roll20 that I've not looked into yet. Other than that 10.11 works fine though the 2 desktops are still at 10.10 and running smoothly for us.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I've used everything from 10.7 onwards on my 2011 MBP. After mavericks, performance went downhill.

Mavericks is still supported I believe. I'd stay on that if you can and don't need/want the new features.

Between Yosemite and El Capitan - El Cap has some bugs I have witnessed, but performs better than Yosemite in my experience. YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.