Yoshi's Island 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by twistedlegato, Nov 10, 2006.

1. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Yoshi's Island 2

That game really wants me to buy a DS, but i dont have the money...at least its going twoards omething good...the Wii.

The thing about the different babys is awasome, each with different powers!

What are you thoughts about Yoshi's Island 2?

2. ClassicFitness macrumors member

Yeah! I think Yoshi's Island 2 will be awesome. I bought my DS for the new Mario Bros game and it's really great. And the machine is not that expensive. And look how good looking it is...
    [​IMG]

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Frankly, I don't think it's going to compare to the original. The first Yoshis Island was heralded as the greatest 2D game ever, and with 2D virtually gone now maybe it still holds that crown? When I was like 9 I remember looking at pictures of it thinking "what have they done to Mario World?", being one of them kind of players. But I finally got to play it on the GBA in 2003/whenever it came out and absolutely fell in love with it.
    I doubt any song in the sequel is ever going to be better than the underground music in the first game. Best soundtrack ever, IMO.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

quite probably NO 2D platformer will EVER compare to the original.

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I agree, I'd say it's the best 2D game ever. I think it's also the best Mario game ever. I also said WTH? back when I played this on my SNES. It was so crazy, but so awesome. Those were the days.

6. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

I've always been a huge fan of the original Yoshi's Island game, and I agree. I think some of the things they're doing in this game are amazing, like playing on two screens at a time.

Oh, and I agree about the music... that underground music was is haunting. I still hum it after I play my gameboy like once every few months.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't like that about Sonic Rush, I really don't like the 2 screen simultaneous approach. But we'll see.

8. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

GAH!!!

I beat the first game...BEST EVER!

I want money so i can get the second!!!!

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I played Yoshi's Island for the first time only a couple of months ago, and enjoyed I completed it in about three of four sittings only. That game has the most gorgeous design I have ever seen in any 2d platformer. And the gameplay concept is so simple yet enjoyable. I never really heard about it when it first came out (I only ever played the Snes games my friend owned) - I don't know whether that's down to me not knowing anything about gaming or that the game was completely underrated though.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

There is no game called Yoshi's Island 2 coming out for the DS.

11. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

And you can't figure out what he means?:rolleyes:

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

13. belovedmonster macrumors regular

While the art design of Yoshi on the SNES was great I couldnt stand that game. The biggest annoyance for me is that stupid baby. When ever I get hit I dont wanna listen to some annoying brat that has the worlds most annoying crying and makes me wanna throw my TV out of the window.

So Mario World gets my vote for the best SNES platformer.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well that wasn't surprising, the DS game has an almost identical feel as the SNES original. I'm still in the first world and it doesn't feel like a proper sequel yet. It's certainly very good though! Only major downfall so far is the music. The overworld theme is genuinely soft and beautiful but the cave music? gah. A variation on the original cave music would have been massively appreciated.
    A worthy sequel. Especially if the game picks up later on (other babies, wifi etc).

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm looking forward to this I must say. When's the release date by chance?

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yesterday. It's on shelves now.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK cool. I think I'll order my a US copy now :)

It's not out till December I think in Europe.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well that didn't last long. I just beat the first dungeon (it really is styled off the old Yoshis Island from the title screen and level select). I'm more upset by the music now. The initial overworld theme is pleasant, but that really is the pinnacle so far. The caves sound rubbish and the dungeon/castle music is just so unmemorable. The actual sound is nice, the faux-surround is pleasant to listen to.

Right now if I had to pick one - the SNES game has it. This might get better, but I'm very fond of music in games and I've been let down so far. WiFi might be interesting.

whoa! just found out who made this-

Shigsy! I expected more from you.

20. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Disappointment in the same way NSMB was?

I'm wondering if this is the same disappointment NSMB was for me. Ok, I know that sounds pretty damning (and I'm a huge Nintendork), but it's how I feel.

NSMB? I don't know where it fits. It's not original like SMB1. Not crazy/fun like SMB2. And it pales to SMB3 or World (obviously). Now I'm not saying NSMB wasn't good. It was. It's just that it was ridiculously outclassed by its much, much finer predecessors.

I have the same reservations with Yoshi's Island DS. Why did I like Yoshi's Island (original, SNES) so much? The perfect combination of a revolutionary platformer with great visuals and great music. While Yoshi's Island DS has gotten fairly decent reviews, many of the low-ratings already echo my sentiments.

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm thinking about it...but I'm having trouble as I'm going to drop 500USD on the Wii this week end!

Maybe come xMas I'll pick this up with FFIII, the new kirby game.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know exactly what you mean. It was love/hate with Mario DS with me for a bit. Eventually I grew to really like it but when I finished it nothing was pulling me back in. Ah well. It was a good romp but nothing compared to the classics.

This game is very similar. The old game had so much detail, like slushing through water or the foreground tricks. This game lacks that. Minor I know, but when there was no slushing water I sobbed. forming my own I suppose. I will say it's incredibly alright. I can see this easily getting 7-9 in reviews, maybe even 10. But has it got the original feel? nope. Another Halo 2? Another "more of the same".

23. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Heh, one thing that I think causes most of the fan dissappointment in these new sequels to classics is simply the lack of nostalgia to them.

NSMB is a better game then SMB1, imo. I still play SMB1, though, because of the nostalgia factor.

Nostalgia can really make something seem a lot better. Personally I loved NSMB, even if it's little more then fanservice (it is, in fact, very much like an idea i had for a new mario game, the goal of which was pure fanservice).

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

25. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

If its better than the original then I'm game...I didn't like the 1st one much but I'll still give it a shot.

Bless