You and your vehicle... or not?

Discussion in 'Community' started by _bnkr612, Jan 25, 2005.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    Who uses/owns a vehicle in a big city and why? I am moving to Chicago and I am debating on whether I need my Jeep or not. If I sell it, I can get some nice cash for other things.

Who is doing what around here?

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Well, I lived in Chicago for four years without a car. I'd say it's a borderline no-car town. There are a lot of places that a car puts within reach or makes convenient, but there are also a lot of times when it's just a pain. It's not as bad as New York for parking, but its transit system is not as good as New York's either. Certainly if your job doesn't require a car you can definitely do without, but it's not the kind of place that really caters to carless people.
  3. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    That's like waving something very red infront of a very miffed bull to some folk on here. ;)

I guess it all depends on how close you live to work, how often you'll need to get to places where public transport doesn't service, etc etc.

I live and work in London and although I miss a car, the traffic is so bad, the parking so expensive that I know that I wouldn't drive in the city anyway, if I want to visit somewhere, and public transport is out of the question I just hire a car.
  4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    ROTFL - thanks I needed that. It ranks up there with "poking the angry badger with a spoon".

You are right, it depends on how close you are to transit and such.

I used to live in a section of DC. Never owned my own car while living there. For a while I rented a car (great weekend rates were available at the time), then I bought a neighbors motorcycle. Both were a hell of a lot cheaper than owning my own car.
  5. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Very Off Topic

Reminds me of a joke;

"My Dog has no nose."

"How does he smell?"

"Of badger blood!"
  6. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Back On Topic

I live in Jersey where we have one of the highest car ownerships per capita of anywhere in the world.
    It's an island 5mi x 9mi with a speed limit of 40mph yet everyone owns a car. My old boss had 20+ cars!
    I know people who seriously live a 20min walk from their office yet pay £110pcm($200) to park 5mins from the office after 15mins crawling through traffic.
    If anywhere was perfect for electric vehicles or the kind of monorail systems you see in city's like vegas this would be it but try getting people to part with their status symbols.
  7. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2003
    The exurbs, MN
    Any time I see "monorail" these days, I'm reminded of "Marge vs. the Monorail" (Simpsons season 4):

What's it called?
    That's right! Monorail!
    (crowd chants "Monorail" softly and rhythmically)
    I hear those things are awfully loud.
    It glides as softly as a cloud.
    Is there a chance the track could bend?
    Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
    What about us brain-dead slobs?
    You'll all be given cushy jobs.
    Were you sent here by the devil?
    No, good sir, I'm on the level.
    The ring came off my pudding can.
    Take my pen knife, my good man.
    I swear it's Springfield's only choice...
    Throw up your hands and raise your voice!

What's it called?

Classic episode :D
  8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    I live in central London and own a car. I don't drive to work. Some weekends I don't use it either. I use it to go shopping and sometimes to go to the cinema at the weekend. If I want to go anywhere outside London then it's great!

So why do I own a car when I obviously don't need one? Because I love driving it. Because it's better than any car I could hire. Some people play golf and spend a fortune on that, I have a car instead :)
  9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    it depends on where in chicago you are going to live, and how far away from work you are going to be. The CTA isnt horrible, but it could be much better. In all probability you probably dont need a Jeep at all, perhaps downgrading to a smaller, more economic car would be your best bet for weekend trips, etc. I have lived in Chicago my whole life, with the exception of when im away at school, and i think it really depends upon where you will end up being located, and how much parking is available there, along with the public transportation in that area, and where you will need to go to work
  10. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2003
    As some have already said, it depends on where you are going to live in Chicago and where you will work. Wriglyville, Lincoln Park and Wicker park are tough to find parking in. I had to park my car two blocks from my house due to limited parking. After a big snow it gets even worse. Chicagoans are militant about parking places they have shoveled out. If you live near an el (elevated train) stop and work downtown, there is no reason to have a car. Taxies are everywhere when you need to use them and will cost a lot less than owning a car.
  11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    California also has more cars than people. (I guess they can thank Jay Leno et. al :D)
  12. joetronic macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2004
    New Oxford, PA

Watched it last week, F'n funny. I love it when the simpsons bring up enviromental issues.

Now for ontopic. WhenI lived in Canton/B'more. I didn't have a car, and had no urge to. I just walked to school or where ever, or used public transporaton. Even now when i go back for whatever reason, I use the metro or light rail then take a taxi or bus to my destination. Thres enough smog in that city, and I don't want to be one to add to an already growing problem. Where I live now its kinda hard not to have a car, since I'm in the middle or butt-rack nowhere, and work a good 30 mins with traffic from work. When I move next month, I will be closer to evrything but work, so will probably not drive unless I'm leaving hte town(a small historic town with all the pubs and stores within a two mile radius.)
  13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2004
    London, UK
    I lived in Chicago several years ago, and when I first moved there I didn't own a car. I lived in Wrigleyville, so I was just a 30 min L-train ride from downtown. I was working as a freelance designer, and the L took me just about anywhere my jobs were.
    The only problem I ran into, though, was that the jobs I wanted were increasingly out in the suburbs, and the METRA train was highly inconvenient in most cases. Finally I broke down and bought a car. It was expensive to own and parking near my apartment was scarce, but it gave me the flexibility to go anywhere I needed to for work.
    Now I live in Tempe, AZ and you can not get by here without a car.
  14. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    I think that is the case all over the west. There is no way you could survive without a car here in the Salt Lake Valley. The public transportation is laughable at best. We have light rail which isn't bad but it doesn't run frequently enough (in my opinion) nor is it in enough places (one line runs north to south from the Delta Center in SLC to a large shopping area in the southern suburb of Sandy and the other links into the N/S line in SLC and goes to the University Of Utah to the East). The western suburbs (the largest being West Valley which has the largest land area in the valley and only about 70-80,000 less people than SLC) have to rely on a bus service that doesn't even come close to covering enough area nor runs frequently enough. Even more laughable is that the Airport (25th busiest in the nation and one of Delta's major hubs) has only 3 seperate buslines running to it: one from downtown, one from West Valley, and one from a city about 30 minutes outside of the valley. I would love to live a car-free existance but with my work schedule (start at 3:30 AM...busses don't start running until 5:30), it would be impossible.
  15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    This should have come from Duff-Man, oh, yeah! :D
  16. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Jun 6, 2003
    Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?