You are a gun control hypocrite if...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Dec 28, 2012.

1. glocke12, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013

macrumors 6502a

glocke12

2. bradl, Dec 28, 2012

macrumors 68040

bradl

So would this not include such future conservative greats as Ronald Reagan, John Wayne, Errol Flynn, and Clint Eastwood?

Oh yes.. hypocrites, the whole lot. At least Sharon Stone had the testicular fortitude to turn the zipper around to the front, and turn in her guns, her CC permit, and her NRA membership.

BL.

3. Iscariot, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012

macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'll save everyone some time:

"You are a gun control hypocrite unless you agree with me 100%"

There is nothing to discuss here unless you're interested in eating red herring for dinner.

As long as the goal of the discussion is to make a convincing caricature of the other side, nothing is going to change. Meanwhile, 277 more people have lost their lives to a gun since Dec 14th. Roughly 21 more will be dead by this time tomorrow.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

well, I don't see Clint coming out demanding people turn in their guns...and I am not aware of John Wayne or Errol Flynn demanding people turn in their guns either.

Sorry, but for these hollywood elitists to call for more gun control, while raking in millions starring in, or producing movies that are saturated with gun control is simply the height of hypocrisy.

5. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This isn't a very well thought out argument. It seems to me that making movies that depict the violence and death caused by guns can be entirely consistent with a personal conviction that gun control is a good idea.

6. macrumors 601

Moyank24

No more hypocritical than those who rail on and on about the 2nd Amendment while completely disregarding the 1st Amendment and all of the other rights we Americans have.

The problem I see is that everyone is so busy trying to be right that we lose sight of the actual problem. How will anything be solved if a discussion between two sides (who are probably closer than they think) devolves into a war of name-calling and tit-for-tat?

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

my argument is not well thought out? :confused:

these people are essentially using the glorification of violence to make themselves rich, and than turning around and demanding that law abiding gun owners who have done nothing wrong turn in the their guns and give up their hobbies. That is absolutely the height of hypocrisy.

8. Guest

OP quoting youtube vidoes is the lowest form of argument

Feel free to actually post something of individual time and worth

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

to be honest, the majority of gun owners I know support anyones right to free speech...

and before you or someone brings up that piers morgan thread I started, I posted that in jest as I clearly pointed out in the first post...

----------

oh please spare me...

how is that any different from anyone else here posting links to a commentary on another site...

10. Moyank24, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012

macrumors 601

Moyank24

And most of the "anti-gun" crowd you're talking about don't support taking all of your guns away. Gun control is different than no guns. It seems you're so busy being outraged that you can't see the difference.

And if you're going to single out a small group of people (Hollywood Elitists) than what's wrong with pointing out the extreme hypocrisy of the NRA and some of its top people?

11. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

You're right but you stopped at gun control to point out hypocrisy of movie stars? What about the stars who tell us to unplug out unused charges so we don't waste a drop of electricity and then get into their private jets and limos and go home to their mansions? Or the stars who tell us not to pick on one group of people while making movies that completely stereotype another? The comedian who says I'm black and proud and gay joke gay joke gay joke?? They are the do as I say not as I do people.

----------

Speaking of hypocrisy, I have seen more than one post today telling someone to post something of worth. But how is a post doing that, worthy?

12. NickZac, Dec 28, 2012

macrumors 68000

NickZac

My favorite is George Clooney who has 'blasted' his way into his multi-million dollar house and yachts in which he hosts political fundraisers and discusses stricter gun laws (although I bet his guards carry guns...).

I'm waiting on Eminem to begin hosting marriage equality events next...

13. macrumors 65816

OK, seriously... You and several others keep beating this drum of "demanding law-abiding citizens turn in their guns". I've heard it so many times, I'm beginning to think it's my legal name. But I have seen little mention of people who support gun-CONTROL, support complete BANS. You see, those are different things.

Control: Require more comprehensive checks, training, testing, requirements, etc
    Ban: Stop all sales and make ownership illegal

How to you keep turning the above into the same thing?? They are not. And most gun-control advocates are NOT clamoring to come take your guns away, unless you own some really shady weapons. So can you please, please, pretty please stop with the hyperbole and scare tactics????

14. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

If someone made a movie about a rape (probably showing that rape was a bad thing), they would have made money off of rape. Would it then be hypocritical of them to oppose rape?

15. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

Did the producers glorify the rape? Were the rapists the heroes of the story? Do you see the point of those two questions

16. macrumors 6502

MadeTheSwitch

I have to wonder what people like you would think about guns and what "hobby" you would have if guns had never been widely available in the first place. Pretty sad that people make a "hobby" out of something that is used to kill.

17. macrumors 65816

Like I said in another thread...I wonder how much of the US gun culture is based solely on the fact that it's a right that some people feel they must exercise. I can't count the number of times I ask someone why they are so infatuated with guns, and they say "it's my right and I wish to exercise that right".

18. macrumors 68000

hulugu

The first video seems to have the same trouble with hypocrisy that Alanis Morissette had with irony.

19. macrumors 65816

I should go buy my pistol soon and get my CC permit before it's to late.

Gun Control is everyone's fault, parents and the shop that sells them.

Parents need to teach kids at a young age the importance of gun control.

The shop's need to do a thorough background check, and obviously not sell a pistol to anyone until 21. I don't know other states, but you can't buy a pistol until you're 21 in California.

20. macrumors 603

You should learn how to differentiate between fantasy and reality.

Stop trying to blame entertainment for the ridiculous gun problem this country has. The rest of the western world has access to the same entertainment yet the rate of people dying as a result of firearms is astronomically lower.

21. macrumors 6502

I can only underline that. Here in Europe we are fully aware of the fantasy world the entertainment depicts us even when it's "based on reality" but when it comes to the real world, we know where the boundaries are. In some countries over here we have a gun in almost every house but they never dictate our daily lives.

22. macrumors 603

Exactly.

There's a big difference between wanting to watch a Rambo movie and actually trying to pretend you are Rambo.

23. macrumors 68000

hulugu

The NRA will bang this drum hard because it's an attempt to cast the blame elsewhere. They've thrown a flare and remain hopeful that the American public's attention aims for Hollywood and the video game industry rather than the firearms business.

And, gun supporters will make the same arguments. It's Miramax, it's Electronic Arts, it's single mothers, the lack of respect, and a hundred other causes.

We're just following a script.

24. macrumors G3

Huntn

I'm not saying I have the answers. Irresponsible/sick/bad people with guns and we want a system that keeps the guns out of the bad peoples' hands. In many cases the first time someone goes crazy and shoots up a school, mall, or movie theater is the first time they break the law. Is there a way to control guns or screen ownership of guns from those who could be a problem without keeping records of those who are currently good law abiding citizens? Or do we say public places being shot up is unfortunately acceptable to guard our right for everyone to own a gun? Based on expense and perceived effectiveness, I don't think an armed guard in every school is a good answer because you'd still have to cover all public places with armed personnel. Do we really want to live in a police state? Do we want most people in public to be armed with concealed carry permits? My gut feeling is to say no, we don't.

Happy New Year! :D

25. macrumors 65816

MrWillie

And how many people have lost their lives due to alcohol ? We still have drive up windows at daiquiri and beer stores in some places. People get 'lucky' every day (not kill someone), yet drunk driving is an epidemic, plus others that die from alcohol related illnesses.