"You cannot use this version of the application Install......."

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 617arg, Nov 2, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

So, I finally decided to try out Lion. Since I'm on Leopard 10.5.8 I opted for the thumb drive, which arrived today. Stick it in the usb, start the computer, open the thumb drive folder, click on the Lion icon (which has a nice big white slash through it), and get the message: "You cannot use this version of the application Install Mac OS X Lion with this version of Mac OS X."

Is this because I'm on Leopard and not Snow Leopard? I thought part of the point of the usb is to avoid upgrading to Snow Leopard only to go straight to Lion....... Or am I missing something??

2. macrumors P6

Intell

Restart the computer and hold down the option key right after you hear the startup chime. Then select the USB drive. This will allow you to install Lion. Warning: It may erase and install instead of updating your system.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Just tried that and it didn't work either. I couldn't use my hard drive with 10.5.8 on it as the destination for the install.

4. macrumors P6

Intell

You'll have to wipe the drive and install it that way or upgrade via Snow Leopard.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it. Thanks! Now to get used to this......