You can't use giftcards to gift apps? How stupid

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by hreyhrey, Jul 3, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Everytime apple does something good its ****ing stupid policys like that which drive me crazy and make no sense

Why the **** cant my cousin gift me an app with giftcards? whats the ****ing point of getting the gift card instead of selling it and getting a visa giftcard

2. macrumors regular

jenni122701

I wanted to gift an app once with my iTunes card and was so mad to find out I couldn't. I don't know why we cant. :-/ I don't see why it would matter if we were able to.

3. macrumors 68040

This is dumb because either way I am speeding money, but I don't like to have a credit card on my iTunes account.

4. macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

What exactly do you mean giftcard?

I added two of the $100 giftcards I got from last summer back to school promotion and used that balance on my iTunes account to gift an app just fine...

5. macrumors regular

jenni122701

When I tried to use my iTunes card credit to gift an app it wouldn't go through, it just kept asking for/wanting my credit card approval. It wouldn't take it from my credit like it does if I'm just buying myself an app. Unless its changed. I last tried several months or so ago.

6. JoshGlzBrk, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013

macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Interesting. Maybe try linking a credit or debit card and then try? It should use your iTunes balance before any cards.

edit:

Actually I guess you cant:

7. macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know why this policy exists? Maybe iTunes credit is more difficult to refund or something?

8. thread starter macrumors member

Because apple likes doing stupid **** like this even though we buy there ducking phones at 70% profit margin for them

9. macrumors 6502a

i guess you can always get back at them by pirating the app

10. macrumors 603

Do you guys not have a credit card that allows setting up secondary virtual credit card numbers for on-line use? See http://lifehacker.com/5831160/use-v...p-safely-online-keeping-in-mind-the-downsides

(and FWIW, 70% "profit margin" is either gross exaggeration or shows a misunderstanding of all the costs to run a business in addition to the estimated bill-of-materials costs. )

----------

Yeah, take money away from the developer. That'll show Apple! :rolleyes:

11. macrumors 6502a

Where's a downvote button when you need one?

12. macrumors 65816

Switchback666

It have been like this since i can remember, i have accounts in different countrys and only use giftcards; what i do is buy a vcc with X balance and gift that way.

Reasons ? Other than they can do what they want in regards of the appstore i dont see any other reason :eek:

13. thread starter macrumors member

http://m.cultofmac.com/cultofmac/#!...cent-profit-margin,50ec9988d7fc7b5670e00a68/2

Are you forgetting apple sells these for $600+ to carriers?

14. macrumors 68000

Defender2010

Cursing, a really great way to complain. Bravo.

15. macrumors 601

The point's always subjective. Ask the person that gave your cousin the gift card.

As always "I can't see the reason" != "There is no reason".

Are you forgetting that it takes more than just parts and labor to create these devices? There's certainly still good profit in it for Apple but 70% is overestimating. If you can run a business only accounting for parts & labor then by all means go ahead.

16. macrumors 603

Not at all. Are you forgetting that materials/parts cost is just one small part of the overall costs of running a business? Or do you not understand all the costs involved in running a business?

Apple does do pretty well, but claims of 75% "profit margin" is grossly inaccurate and indicates either willful misuse of the term or ignorance of business cost structures.

http://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/profit_margin