You Control: Tunes keyboard shortcuts -- help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rogersmj, Jan 27, 2007.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

So this is a nice piece of free software, albeit the method for setting keyboard shortcuts (my main reason for using this software) sucks and results in severe limitations. Let me explain.

To set a keyboard shortcut in YC:T (and this took awhile to figure out), you open the menu, bring your mouse over the control you want to make a shortcut for, and press the desired key combination. Not a bad idea in principle, but it sucks in practice. For example, I wanted Control-Command-Space to be play/pause, but I couldn't set that because whenever you hit "Space" in a menu it acts as if you clicked on that menu item. Then I successfully set Next Track to Control-Command-RightArrow, but I couldn't set Previous Track to Control-Command-LeftArrow because the LeftArrow just causes the menu to collapse back up to the previous level. So I decided to try using the angle bracket keys (< and >) as my previous and next shortcuts, but this time I can't set Control-Command-> (actually period, '.', because I'm not pressing the Shift key too) because the period apparently acts like a click, just as the space bar does.

ARRRGH! I can't get a single combo working the way I want it to. Anyone know a way around this? Or have a suggestion for better software (that's free)? I really like YC:T other than this, so I'd rather not switch. Any help is appreciated.

2. rogersmj thread starter macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Nevermind, I figured out how to make the keys I want work through QuickSilver.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

Quicksilver is the way to go. Glad you figured it out ;)