You don't do Irony, do you?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Mar 20, 2005.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4878917,00.html

Priceless!

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's the Bush administration: one eight-year-long Saturday Night Live sketch.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha LOL ... oh god ... please make it stop ... it could have been out of the hands fro ma comic writer....

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh just add it to the irony pile. It also contains the fact that then-Govenor Bush apparently signed the Texas law allowing hospitals to allow patients with no hope of recovery to die if the patient's condition was determined by the hospital staff to be irreversible, and the patient had no means of payment.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Just talking about free speech in the context of either of the Koreas is ironic enough. Given the volatility of the situation there and the paranoia of the North, I'm surprised that she'd broach the subject of free speech. It's not something that would make Kim Jong Il a happy camper.

No doubt Vollertsen's correct in his view. I doubt anybody in the room disagreed with him. But, given the degree of insult to his Korean hosts, I'd bet he's on the next plane out. In a land where "face" is so important, giving insult is not a way to ensure tenure of any sort.

Hey, mac, I hadn't heard about the law you mentioned. But, if I'm "hopeless and irreversible", do me a favor and pull the plug, okay? Why bankrupt another hospital? We're running short as it is...

'Rat

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

What if you just can't find reverse? ;)

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The law I refer to is known as the Texas Futile Care Law. Bush signed it into law, yet now he's running around trying to circumvent it. I voted for the right to end a terminal life before I voted against it? Flip flopping is very very bad we're told. It betrays a weakness of character that makes you unfit to be commander-in-chief, right?

And hopefully you have someone closer to you than I to pull the plug should it become necessary. My wife and I have discussed this with not only each other but also our families and friends so that at least there would be coroboration in a case like Schaivo's.

Running short of hospitals? That I hadn't heard, although I'm well aware that we are running short of money to pay for visits to those hospitals.

Look up the case of Spiro Nikolouzos or Sun Hudson. This is the kind of crap the government wants to get involved in. True conservatives should be outraged that the government wants to get involved in both the states-rights area or the privacy area that they seem wont to trample on.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Thanks, mac; I'll look.

As far as government and personal affairs, I'm sorta like the guy in church when the preacher was talking about the Ten Commandments. When the preacher got to the Seventh, the guy mumbles to himself, "Now ya done quit preachin' and gone to meddlin'."

Too much meddling. Too much wanting power over the people on the part of Leviathan. IMO, too many "just folks" either don't notice or don't care or are right in there as part of the controllers...

Two things clobbered the world of hospitals in the late 1980s or thereabouts. First was the MediCare provision that reduced the amount of payment to small rural hospitals as compared with those in larger cities. Then, the bit about emergency rooms "must" treat anybody and everybody whether or not they could pay. Those combined to bankrupt the hospitals in Appalachicola and Blountstown, Florida, and Alpine, Texas--that I know of
    for sure.

I have an irrevocable Power of Attorney from my mother which includes a "no heroic measures" clause. I and my wife have both discussed this issue, as well, and my son's aware of our views.

Ever checked out http://www.deathclock.com/ ? They say I have ten more years, so I guess that's a pay raise for me. I was afraid I'd have to put up with all this BS for another 20 or so. :D

'Rat