You guys think this is fraud???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jumpman25, Mar 25, 2004.

1. jumpman25 macrumors regular

Was just looking on ebay and noticed this. This guy is listing tons of items on ebay for more than half off, all at once. I have seen this before, and it looks like fraud. All his previous auctions are spread apart, and now he is listing tons of expensive items all at once including a brand new 17" PB for 1800.00 buy it now. What do you people think about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16119&item=2899735187

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm guessing fraud or stolen goods. If it's too new and too cheap, it's likely a bad idea.

3. xhost_plus macrumors newbie

And all the feedback gives him AAA+++++++++ and SMOOTH transactions with no negative feedback.

Sounds fishy indeed.

4. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

If you look, all his feedback is from sellers, he did not sell anything himself. I would recomend anybody in the market for a PB steer clear of this guy.

5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

6. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not going to bid on any of his stuff. I just figured I would post this to show other people what to look for when buying things on ebay as their have been numerous topics on when not to buy things on ebay. This is a perfect example of a skam. I got skamed about six months ago on a video card and it was a mirror image of this.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not being an eBay buyer, I don't know the answer to this:

Is there a place to report such obvious fraud?

8. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not sure if you can report fraud without being involved in the transaction. I am almost positive this is fraud though. Everything in the listing is funky. Look at where the guy listed the powerbook. He listed it in the adult clothes section. If anybody knows how to report this without being involved in the transaction let us know. Poople like this really tick me off. This guy is going to screw people out of a lot of money. Unfortunatly not everybody knows ebay that well, and wouldn't know that this is fraud.

9. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I do a large amount of business with eBay.

He has been reported

- Doc

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you don't mind telling, how did you report him? In case this comes up again (and it will).

11. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

i saw this on eBay today as well and it seemed fishy.

Notice the note at the top of the page reading:
    "Note: This listing is restricted to pre-approved bidders or buyers only.
    Email the seller to be placed on the pre-approved bidder/buyer list."

what is that all about? i saw a $1600 Dual 2GHZ G5 that had the same prerequisite. is it one of those pay this person $600 to get info for an $1800 17" PB? but just a new way to disguise it?

12. Frisco macrumors 68020

I just registered for ebay the other day and sold a few small items. I was surprised at how in depth their security measures, Id Verification, etc.
    It's hard to imagine how so many scammers make there way on to ebay? I agree this listing is definitely fraudulent. Macs, unfortunately, are frequently targeted because of their high value so people are looking to jump at a steal, but please if you want a Mac save yourself some aggravation and buy from Apple or a reputable reseller. You're hard earned money won't be stolen, but will be well worth it.

Good Luck to All!

13. majus macrumors newbie

There have been a large number of listings in the last month or two, usually high-dollar Macs, digital cameras, etc. It's usually pretty easy to spot the frauds. I first became aware of them when I saw an eBay listing which was identical to a spam email I received from someone in Russia.

Ask yourself these questions when reading the auction listings:
    1. Is the location of the item even in the same country as the lister? Many times these items are being listed using hijacked accounts of innocent eBayers.
    2. Does the alleged seller have a history of being a seller? This raises a red flag if they've always been a buyer. That's how they got those 100% ratings. Possibly a hijacked account in this case.
    3. Does the alleged seller have a history of successful sales of such expensive items? If not, if they've never sold anything of much value and suddenly they're offering high-dollar items, they're very suspect; very likely a hijacked account in this case.
    4. Is the Buy-It-Now price of the item ridiculously low, lower than wholesale even? If so, it's bogus. These are *so easy* to spot: who in their right mind is going to sell a 2Ghz DP G5 with 2gig of ram plus a 23-inch Cinema Display for $2700? And in some listings I've seen, *the full retail version of Final Cut Pro* is included at no extra charge. What a deal! It would be, if it were legitimate.
    5. Has the seller been inactive for quite some time and then suddenly is online offering all these high-dollar items? A red flag here, folks -- probably a hijacked account.

There are other questions that could be asked but these are just a few that have occurred to me over the last month or so. Look at all the angles of the listing when trying to determine its legitimacy.

Most, if not all, of the fraud listings I have seen and reported have had some common features: 1) a requirement to Pre-register (Authorized Bidder). This is one of the ways these scammers obtain legitimate eBay IDs; 2) frequently very short duration auctions -- 1 or 3-day listings; 3) Buy-It-Now at a ridiculously low price.

It is certainly possible to report these listings if you are an eBay member even if you are not involved in the transaction. You go to the eBay Site Map, find the link to "Investigations" and when that page comes up, click on "Contact Us" at the left side of the page. You have to use the complaint categories they provide, but if you follow through on it, eBay will investigate your allegations promptly and they definitely will void the listing fairly promptly if they agree, so be specific about why you think it is a fraudulent listing. If you allege that a hijacked account is involved they will follow up on that and take appropriate action.

I've reported a couple dozen of these listings, and a number of them have been cancelled within only a few hours and the rest within 24 hours. eBay is very aware of these problems and is trying hard to minimize their impact. I've had some email correspondence with Apple about these listings and they have indicated that they are very aware of the problem and indicated that they do take appropriate action when they receive reports about them. It's actually just as easy to report it to eBay because you will get results a lot quicker.

Sorry to be so verbose, but these scammers really make me angry because there *are* going to be some unlucky people who will fall into their trap and end up losing their money -- money which most can not afford to lose.

Play it safe -- buy the expensive stuff from an authorized Apple reseller.

14. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Items were taken off eBAY

Well, the items were taken of eBAY, so Majus was right when he said that they act quickley. Thanks for your help everybody. Now whenever we see fraudulent listings we will know what to do.

15. mac-in-fool macrumors newbie

Poople like this really tick me off.

Poople like this?

16. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

17. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Skammers, people that could care less about other people and their money. Dishonest people. It just makes me angry. Back when I was new to ebay I was cheated out of $500.00. Now I know what to look for but most newbies to ebay don't.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Darn it, you guys killed another eScam auction.

Now how are these guys supposed to get money for drugs?

19. Frisco macrumors 68020

It makes me angry too, to think about all the dishonest people out there who have no guilt or remorse cheating/stealing people's hard earned money. I don't know how these people live with themselves, or how they sleep at night. I would love to be rich, but if I got rich by defrauding and hurting others then I'd rather be poor and be able to live with myself. I will never understand these people without a conscious.

I for one feel for those cheated on ebay and elsewhere in life. Just to let you know that most of humanity is basically good (I hope) and it's the cheaters who make the good people even more special.

ps: Thank You for reporting and getting this pig's fradulent auction off ebay--it's nice to know people care!

20. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Anytime bro

You want to call some women I know and tell them Im ok :)

- Doc

21. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac-in-fool
    Poople like this really tick me off.

Poople like this?

Skammers, people that could care less about other people and their money. Dishonest people. It just makes me angry. Back when I was new to ebay I was cheated out of $500.00. Now I know what to look for but most newbies to ebay don't.

Uh, i think mac-in-fool was just pointing out that people had been incorrectly spelt as poople in an earlier post.

22. SwitchHitter macrumors member

I've noticed a lot of scam on both eBay and Amazon.com for PBs over the past month.

I've bid on a few items on eBay and every single time - I get emails from other people, saying they can offer me a PB at a low (unrealistic) cost - for one, new in the box.

AND HERE'S THE KICKER - they say they will use an intermediary ESCROW service and also provide a link to the service. What the issue is though, is that the Scammers have been a mirror image of a legit escrow service and have modified it to capture all your personal data and transfer the funds.

Primetime (or Dateline) just did a news piece on this aspect - and I didnt' realize it until I watched the show - and since it had happened only a few days prior, I still had the email, with the link to the fake escrow service, which I sent into Ebay.

And the kicker is - the reason I didn't bid, is because in both instances (I had requested information from two sellers), they said they were both in Europe, one in the U.K. visiting a grandmother and the other in Vienna on vacation - is that BOTH OF THESE PEOPLE said that they had "best friends" that worked at UPS and that the computers were sitting at a UPS location with their friends and that they would ship them free. THAT'S WHY I DIDN'T CONTINUE TO BID.

So, had I not received almost two IDentical emails back from supposedly two totally different people - I could have been had. The UPS thing tipped me off that something was fishy - but the ESCROW aspect would have gotten me.

If anyone asks for money to be put in ESCROW, I would make sure it's a PayPal approved Escrow service - and also link to it through PayPal or eBAy and NOT THROUGH AN EMAIL YOU GET FROM THE SELLER (which is most likely a scam site).

I was seriously thinking of buying a PB 15 or 17 on eBay or Amazon.com, but at this point, I'll go for a refurb or new from an approved reseller. It's almost just too risky - and those that are legit seem to be so expensive (too many bidders?) that the deals are better through a reseller on the refurbs.

23. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

This is nothing but a Thank You to all those people who wrote in to this post...I know I do, and have done, a lot of selling on eBay, mostly of recordable media (minidiscs!). I have often questioned the effort to prevent fraud, considering the volume of sales that go through their system... it's nice to know there are a lot of independent watchdogs looking out for one another, aside from just the eBay folks. You guys rock.

edit for spelling

24. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I was wondering what was up with that. I never even noticed that I spelled people wrong. LOL

25. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

HEY! there is nothing wrong with a good solid drug :)