You have 500+ posts but no avatar. Why?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue Velvet, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've noticed quite a few long-term forum members with high post-counts but without avatars... I don't intend to use a hectoring or accusing tone but I'm just plain curious as to why you haven't bothered especially as a few others are clamouring to get theirs.

Personally, I find them the handiest way of spotting an individual and view the 'tar itself as a 'brand' which says something about the poster and clearly marks them out to other forum members... which is why I get confused when long-term posters radically change theirs. Visual memory, I guess.

Anyway, just an idle question to while away the hours...

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I'd imaging that some simply do not care to have one and others may not know how to scale an image to the correct size and upload it.

3. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I want something that i'll keep, not get bored with and change every few weeks.

Haven't found anything "individual".

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Some members simply choose not to I suppose, I noticed one of our longest serving members, Jelloshotsrule (a close, personal friend....) has stopped using his avatar. I think that's the first time I've seen someone go back to avatar-less posting.

Sure it's rare, some people like to be different.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

like bluevelvet, i find it handy to identify a poster with the avatar, though after being around for so long, sometimes you can tell who they are just by what/how they post :D

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Mine was down for about a week, as i simply hadn't gotten around to making a new one. I never understood the must-get-an-avatar thing, they're handy for identification, sure... but i have other creative outlets too :)

7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    That was my sentiment. It took me ages after my 6502 score before I plumped for the 'tar I've chosen. Stuck with it, still like it.

In fact it would feel weird without it. So get busy and get one ... just so long as it's not another Family Guy based one .... :rolleyes:

8. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I got to the 500 post level yesterday, and I haven't hesitated to use my newly found avatar abilities :D I might change it though, I'm not quite sure.

I too agree that an avatar helps "define" the poster; I guess the avatar is what we image the poster to be like (which could be scary in a few cases :eek: ). I have a much easier time remembering posts and their posters if the poster has an avatar.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If I'm going back to a thread I posted in and want to find my last post, I don't look out for my screenname. That just takes more effort. Instead, I look for the green and orange avatar.......the one with Puss da Boots. Nothing is easier. I'm glad the colours in my avatar are not often seen in other avatars. It makes mine easy to find, which is exactly why I won't change it. :)

I couldn't do this without an avatar. I would have to read quickly scrolling text when I'm looking for my last post, so no thanks. Avatars rock.

10. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Too far from title

I hate to admit it, but I find that with the design of this forum, I almost never pay attention to the user name or the avatar. They're both waaaaaay over to the left, and I'm reading along the right. Only if a conversation gets really complicated do I go back and figure out who was saying what.

I've always wondered about people who talk about "patterns" that they notice in other users' attitudes or posts. How on earth do you ever associate a person with a post with the username and avatar not "in the line of site" of your reading? Am I the only one who just can't train myself to look left first?

That said, as soon as I reach that point, I'll be avatarring myself. :)

At a half a post a day average, though, it'll be a while.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I've always seen an avatar as little symbol that you've been around for whiel...I feel that it's something that sort of "puts a face to a name", so to speak...it gives people something to visually recall when they see posts.

And to those who don't recognize me, I haven't posted here in a long time. :)

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm one that looks to the left first like many others. The Avatar is the first thing that I see and then the name. Get to know the member by the Avatar. To have or not have an Avatar is just individual choice.

13. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I always notice avatars but I also associate signatures with certain people too.

If you don't have an avatar - get yourself a good sig :D

for example watcher2001. He/she has these lyrics that get stuck in my head all dang day:

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
    You can choose from phantom fears, or kindness that can kill.
    I will choose a path that's clear.
    I will choose free will.
    Neil Peart 1980

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'll use 'tars sometimes as a marker for "Oh well, I've read through these posts-- ah hah! There we go, this is where I left off reading." But yes, certain members' 'tars catch my eye and I'll stop to read their posts more carefully, but I don't reallly mind if people don't use 'tars. Keeps the place looking a bit more tidy. ;)

15. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

You have a great avatar by the way. Your posts always stand out - it's like a red flag (in a good way :) )

16. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Aargh... too many 'tars on this thread. :D

Let's hear more from those regular and dedicated forum members who until now have resisted the siren song of the colourful 75 pixel square.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Any of you boring people out there with the ability to have a 'tar, but that don't currently use it. This is for you :D ;)

[​IMG]

18. mac-er macrumors 65816

I have several reasons for not getting a 'tar yet:
    1. I haven't found anything that is really interesting or exciting enough to make a good avatar.
    2. I have absolutely no idea how to scale it down.
    3. I suck at making things like that, and I don't want to look dumb or have something corny when everyone else has these exciting animations and stuff (I have no idea how to do that either) :)
    4. I didn't post 500 posts to just get a 'tar.
    5. It took me 2 weeks to pick a name for my dog...it will take even longer to pick an avatar I like.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You could always take a photo.
    Easy with Photoshop or Graphic Converter (free)
    I haven't a clue either. Animations are so last year, anyway.
    You can always change it.

20. mac-er macrumors 65816

I know. I just want to have something good.
    I'll get one..in time.

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i wondered that too. leekholer (sp?) has been able to have one for ages but never used one that i know of. i've noticed a few others but he especially stood out because he's an interesting guy and i always wondered what he'd pick.
    [shrugs]

if any of you have trouble sizing or editing a potential avatar i'd be happy to help. just drop me a PM with the image and what you want done with it and i'll help ya out. i know my current is not the best representation of talent but that is just sheer laziness... it's my 'tar and i don't have to make it nice ;) i'm a bit more careful with other people's images.
    just say the word... i'll be happy to make a more avatar rich environment.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think he had his taken away for bad behaviour.

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

haha... NO WAY... really?! :eek:

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, if it wasn't, it damned well should have been...
    :D

Pace, LK, only kidding! ;)

25. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

an avatar is like a trophy that you have to earn...:D