You know it's a small world when...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Applespider, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Inspired by this thread on small towns, you know that it's a small world when...

...walking across Union Square, San Francisco one Monday evening in November while on vacation from London, you hear your name being called. Turning round you discover that it's an acquaintance from Amsterdam who is also on holiday in San Francisco - and that you both have tickets for the 49ers game that night which despite coming from entirely different sources, are within a section of each other.

2. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

That's amazing! Makes you wonder, what are the statistical chances for that event? I've had serveral instances where I talk to people and find out we know several of the same people, but I've never bumped into anyone when far away on vacation. I think, I'd be a likely candidate for such events though because I'm 6'7" (2.0 m) tall... a tall, goofy looking fella tends to stand out! :)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Last year I was on a wine tour, and I saw a couple in their 50's with 2 nice dogs. Seeing as how I'm in Australia and I miss my 2 dogs, I went over to talk to them. I told them that I was Canadian, and they told me about their recent trip to Canada. They were there for 4 weeks, and then flew to London for a week to visit old friends before coming home. Their friends in London were their neighbours in Australia for 18 years before they moved back to the UK.

They told me that one of them just came to Oz to visit. "He's smart," they told me. "He's a professor in Nuclear Physics." They asked me what I did, and I said I was studying "Medical Radiation Physics," so its cool that their friend was a physics prof. I told them that I was thinking about applying to University College of London (UCL) for my PhD. "Yes, that's where our friend works!" I told them that I wanted to work in Nuclear Medicine. "You know, come to think about it, our friend isn't in Nuclear Physics. He does Nuclear 'something', but its medical related." That's weird, because I was emailing someone the head of the Nuclear Medicine department at UCL. He also used to be an adjunct professor at University of Wollongong (my Uni) the previous year.

It turns out that I had been contacting THEIR friend at UCL about a PhD position. :eek: Also, he was coming from UCL to my Uni to teach us SPECT imaging for 2 weeks because he used to work for my professor. I had also met him 2 days ago. :p

This wine tour was 3 hours from where I live in Australia, and around 22 hours away from London. :D

4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Closest i ever got to experiencing the small world was bumping in to a friend while on holliday in Lisbon.
    Another one (not as spectacular) was meeting a guy at a wedding of one of my girlfriend's nieces. I met him on a snowboard trip (a friend of a friend who joined us), never met him again after that. Untill that joyfull day.
    He sure was funny though, he was a member of a jokes-club, they have a booklet full of jokes, every joke having a different number.
    When they met once a week they would just call numbers :eek: :rolleyes: and start laughing. Every 6 months the numbers would change. Offcourse they did add and delete some as well. (sorry, this post took me back)

haha
    BRAHAHA
    -ok ok 54
    HAAAAhahahaha

oh yeah, one more thing. This thread reminded me of this. Scientific research on how small the world is.

5. MacPlace macrumors newbie

MacPlace

Wow, that's pretty cool :). I've never had anything like that happen though.

6. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i met my primary school teacher whilst holidaying in the caribbean. she was also on my flight! (not sitting together thank goodness).

it is a very small world. and getting smaller.

tasticcc

7. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

Randomly discovered a girl in the Dears International Gackt Fans community lives two floors above me. :)

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Many years of hard partying ensures that I remember only that I have many similar experiences, but cannot recall the details or the people involved, only that it happened. Ah.. wasted youth.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Lots of small world coincidences in our family, although mostly within the U.S.A.

My wife's best friend moved away from Los Angeles. In her new city, she walked dogs together with her next door neighbor. After a bit of conversation, they somehow figured out the neighbor is a close friend of my wife's brother.

My wife had an e-penpal in Florida who she met in a non-Mac-related forum (yes, there are such things). After many months of talking about shared interests, they discovered that my wife's mom had met, and done business with, the penpal's son.

My parents ran into the same friends twice, once in San Francisco and once on a mountaintop in Switzerland.

At the local school where I help out, another volunteer has been helping kids with reading regularly for years. I'm there in the morning and he's there in the afternoon, so we didn't meet for a long time. One day, however, I was there in the afternoon and we finally met and discovered that he was a pal of my parents from their college days in another city. I'd been seeing him in my parents' old home movies for years but never made the connection.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

My kids were touring the Hawaiian volcanoes with their grandparents. The ranger asked where they were from and their names. "North Carolina? Munger?" he said. "I used to know a guy named Munger, but he lived in Seattle."

"Really?" the kids say. "Our dad's from Seattle."

Turns out I went to school with the guy in fifth grade.

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

My story is not quite so...global.

Went to Wildwood, New Jersey for a long weekend a few years back. There were several other beachfronts we could have gone to, but we picked this one on the fly. We get there and walk out to the beach, which is thoroughly packed with blankets. It's a pretty wide beach, maybe 150-175 yards, at the spot we were standing. Thousands of blankets. We see one tiny space to set up our own blanket, and park there. The blanket directly adjacent is empty of people. 20 minutes later, one of my folder operators and his wife come walking up from the ocean and flop down on that blanket. Now, we're only perhaps 125 miles from home, so it's not a complete miracle.

Of course, we could not have coordinated that meeting in a million years.

12. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Working at Disney World, I had a number of instances like that, but considering Orlando is a big vacation spot. The best one was when I walked on stage at the Land in Epcot and was walking over to pick up a tour group when I heard someone shout my nickname (which no one at Disney even knew). Turnes out it was a guy that lived down the hall from me in a dorm at college.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

My grandfather in law was visiting my wife and I in Washington DC a couple months ago. He's from a small town called Reese in Michigan, with a population of about 500 people, at most. He's familiar with DC so he went off during the day to roam around the museums by himself. We met later that night for dinner and he told us that he had struck up a conversation with a native American guy at one of the museums (because he's the kind of guy who strikes up conversations). After talking for a while and mentioning that he was from Michigan, the native American guy told him that his best friend when he was in the army, 60 or so years ago, was a guy from small town Michigan. He died during the war, but he was from a town called Reese. Had my grandfather-in-law ever heard of it? My grandfather in law said that was where he was from! When told the name he thought he knew the family and swore he'd look them up when he got back to Michigan.

To add to the story, when my grandfather-in-law was telling us and his wife this story, we were at a fairly large restaurant near Dupont Circle in DC, which is fairly well off the Mall and not necessarily one of the main tourist spots (although not completely obscure either). And who should sit down at the table next to us but the native American guy he'd run into earlier in the day.

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I went to a mass given by Pope John Paul about 12 years ago and the people that I sat next to were from the same town as I was. I did not know them, but its just so weird out of how many towns in the whole US, these people would be from my town: population 30,000.

15. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I was sitting in my friends place in Switzerland - half a world from where I live - and her sister comes in with one of her friends - who just happened to have grown up in the same neighbourhood in Canada I did...oh yeah!

16. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

No, tell me it's not true Applesider!!!

Please don't tell me that you traveled thousands of miles over the pond to go to a football game!?!?!??

The opening of an Apple store, to visit friends etc, but a football game?

Never the less, I hope that you had an enjoyable vacation.

17. toaster_oven macrumors regular

i went to nursery school in Reese!! I grew up around there (moved to Detroit when i was 10)...

-to

18. Kushiro macrumors member

After college, I spent 3 years living in a small town in Eastern Hokkaido (the Northern island of Japan). Not much to do in town, but there was this great bar, Beifuu, and restaurant next door, Akatogarashi, where I used to go pretty regularly.

Fast forward 5 years: I've moved to a small town just outside of Geneva (CH, not US), and find that there's a new Japanese restaurant a block from my apartment. So I hop over to have a look, and it turns out that the chef/owner is from the same town, and was the guy who originally founded both the bar and the restaurant.

Then he broke out the sake.... :D

19. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    In SF, I spend time with local friends too. But I do have a group of friends with whom I'd tour a different part of the US each year and see lots of football games. :D Driving between NFL cities is a great way to explore the US rather than just flying into major cities.

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Small world indeed...

21. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Try this on for size. My wife's best friend dated my father a couple of times. This isn't that odd, but all of this happened 400 miles away and 40 years in the past.

The friend is 10 or 15 years older than my wife who is 8 years older than me so there were no real big age differences in there. When the friend first me she thought I seemed familiar and that the name was familiar (I'm a Junior) but nothing really clicked until her son went on a vacation to what seems to be the karmic center of the universe, Ashland, Kentucky.

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Does that make you [playlistId=4268716&selectedItemId=4268712]your own grandfather[/playlistId]? (iTMS link)

Sorry, but reading your post reminded me of that song! :)

23. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

i once ran into an ex-gf in italy... in the same hotel. that wasn't so fun.

24. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

What are the statistical chances you in the picture