You know, the news.......I just don't know anymore...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 28, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's that last line that really bugs the hell out of me. Really, NBC? And this is posted (from the website front page, no less) under "US and World News"?

Cripes, and I all but gave up on CNN's website because it was becoming too tabloidy.

2. macrumors G3

Huntn

Humor, I like it , although probably not completely appropriate for a serious news organization, lol. :)

3. macrumors 6502a

copykris

i can appreciate it

4. macrumors 65816

dec.

At least they didn't come up with something tacky like "ban ceramic squirrels!!,,!!,!"...

5. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Cracker Barrel announced this morning that they are removing ceramic squirrels from their shops.

6. macrumors G3

Huntn

Mandated Squirrel Safety Course seems appropriate... :p

7. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Yeah. I'd personally leave that comment for the water cooler.

It doesn't belong in the story.

Poor form, NBC.com. Poor form.

8. macrumors 6502a

copykris

there should probably be a ten day waiting period for buying ceramic squirrels though

9. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The NSA has their lobbyists in Washington working on blocking that move already.

10. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Oh come'on!

That last line is a hilarious kick and a sign that someone is actually thinking about the details of the story.

Crime reporting is for tough people who can endure a hundred impossibly sad and cruel truths about human behavior, so when someone writes a story about a guy who got stabbed by a ceramic rodent (and survived) for screwing up the beer run, you can bet that the reporter laughed a dark little laugh and showed it to his desk editor.

11. macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Ceramic squirrels don't kill people. People kill people.

12. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

this should be in current events.

13. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

No, no, no no, no.

As much as you may have enjoyed that little bit of levity, it concerned a crime where someone was seriously injured. That is never a time to bust out a little humor.

Had the victim been a woman or a child, I doubt anyone would have remotely considered that ending. How is it possible that in this case, adding a humorous twist to an otherwise ugly story is appropriate?

It's not.

14. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I might be concerned if I knew the people, but, there are a lot of things going on in this world that I don't know about, nor do I have time to know about.

Your real annoyance is that this was in the "news" as opposed to The Star (does it still exist?), the Mail, or, Fox News?

I agree with you that most "news" these days is much more about entertainment than it was from 1945-1980. But then, a lot of things were better back then. We sure have better computers and phones now, though; you have to admit that.

15. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

My annoyance is that news stories are not meant to be vehicles for comedy when the story involves pain and suffering.

16. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It is tough. "News and entertainment" is a category now. People today won't take bitter medicine without some NutraSweet to get it down.

17. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Is it even news to begin with?

18. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Dark humor is appropriate sometimes. Had the story been about a child, certainly that's an entirely different story.

People wound each other all the time, but understanding the story, even through humor is important. Try being around the rest of the gallows crew, like nurses, firefighters and police officers, not to mention soldiers, and you start to get where the lines of appropriate fade.

It's crime reporting, which is basically a reporter looking at the blotter of local crimes and writing up the most unique, prominent, or impactful crimes. This is a good news service, you want a reporter looking at crime to ensure that police are responding appropriately and that trends in crime are covered.

This means that someone writes up the ceramic squirrel story and it gets some attention nationally.

It beats giving more grafs to Sarah Palin.

19. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Does this explain why we are having a "pervasive epidemic" of the Knockout Game?

20. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, the crime reporter could actually tell you whether the act was actually the "Knockout Game" or a mugging, or two guys getting into a fight over a girl because she's read the blotter from the night. (Note: many police departments use a crime reporting/tracking system, but I like blotter as a description).

The trend reporters can look for a series of events and try to do some analysis and figure out if there's a "pervasive epidemic" or just happenstance.

And, then there's Fox News, which searches through local reports for something to keen about.

21. thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The thing is, if you want to make a smart-ass crack because the story is a little odd, then put the story under "News of the Weird", not in the (supposedly) hard news section. If I were the editor of the story, however, I wouldn't have let that last line into the article at all. The story is odd enough on its own. It doesn't need the reporter's attempts to channel Henny Youngman.

I was raised in the day when news was news and entertainment was entertainment. Then the TV networks started making the movie "Network" come true, crossing entertainment with news all over the place. Look at how people like Tamron Hall and John Quinones are asked to jump back and forth from solid news reporting to features on the Today show or programs like "What Would You Do?"

22. macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Sigh.

One week.

That's all I ask.

Can my state please go one week without being in the news?

At leasat I can be comforted by the fact that it didn't happen in my OH WTF!? SERIOUSLY CHARLESTON? C'MON!

23. macrumors 65816

24. macrumors 68030

.Andy

You'd have to be incredibly naive to believe this. The article is by no means written as a means to reflect on the adequate nature of law enforcement. Especially given what this thread is discussing.

Such an article is completely designed to get page views for advertising dollars. There is zero merit for public need to know the contents of such a domestic dispute. It is entirely for entertainment purposes.

News journalism is in it's death throes.

25. macrumors Core

MacNut

Journalism died with Cronkite. There was no sensationalism or a reason to report a story for 24 hours.