you know you're a nerd when...

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Jul 16, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

...you move house, and it doesn't feel like home until you've hooked up with peeps on MR! Ok, i'm a geek.

Its good to be back though! NTL (my ISP) have been screwing me around with my broadband so i've only just got back online.

What other scenarios bring a sense of realisation of your nerd-dom? (-dom used as an affix, not the acronym. oh crap, i got that "i'm a nerd" feeling again)

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Are you saying you are more a of loser than the pop stars that when they stop being famous they spend all their time drinking and taking drugs because their lives are so sad. Being a loser is going down the bar every day with the sole purpose of getting wasted because your life is not worth living.

So what you like talking to others (even if they are online), you just like socializing. You are only a loser if you waste your life doing something pointless or something that causes you or others harm.

3. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

sorry - loser means a different thing to me & my peers; just a synonym of nerd for us.

point taken; post editted.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Haha, thats not too bad.

Geek: When you go out of your way to get ___ (most-likely a computer)

Nerd is totally different man.

You might be socially a nobody, but you study alot.

5. medea macrumors 68030

medea

you know your a nerd when.....
    you start making "you know your a nerd when..." jokes.

no this post does not make me a nerd....

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

when more than once a week you have conversations with "real" people and have to explain to them who "wdlove" and "3rdpath" are... hah

also when you have dreams that center around computer related things, especially macrumors or upcoming apple events.

when you are driving around and see some forest... and think "wow, i need to clear that forest and build a road there... then i can decide if i want to mine it or irrigate it"... ala civilization 3...

i'm guilty of 1 and 2. my brother's girlfriend was the last one. hah

7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I have to say I have thought of the last one, when I see a car with the sound playing too load, I think of getting my rocket launcher out and shooting them (like in GTA3).

8. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

This isn't exactly a 'nerd' thing, but I feel that some of the points are valid with many nerds...

10. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

hehe - related quote taken from bash.org:

man i love that site!

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You know you're a nerd when you post at an internet message board about computers. :p :D

*points at you and laughs maniacally, until he realizes where he is....*

Ah damn, that backfired on me. :(

12. job macrumors 68040

job

Is there really a difference between the two?

Is a geek just a nerd who is into computers?

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah generally thats about it, but a geek might have a life outside of computers.

haha good one.

14. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I'm guilty of number 2 because I dreamed about my signature on MacRumors a few days back...:p

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...when the curves on a mac seem more sexy than the curves on a supermodel

...or when your idea of a supermodel is a tibook or G5

personally, i prefer the look of the quicksilver G4 and i think the G5 is a step backwards;)

16. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

"if when your professor asks you where your homework is, you claim to have accidentally determined its momentum so precisely, that according to Heisenberg it could be anywhere in the universe.
    if the Humane society has you arrested because you actually performed the Schrodinger's Cat experiment. '

How about "if you actually know what Schrodinger's Cat and the Heisenberg Principle are"

Even more so if you can actually explain the theories behind Schrodinger's Cat and Quantum Superposition.

There is a reason that physics majors are so out of it, quantum physics will put anyone into a permenant haze :eek:

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You know you're a nerd when someone asks you how to turn a woman on, and you look for the On/Off button. Coincidentally, you know you're a nerd when someone asks you how to turn on a computer, and you start rubbing up against it in a sexual manner.

Yes, women and computers are easily distinguishable, but nerds get confused about stuff like this quite easily. :D

18. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

You plan a trip to St. Louis and then get excited because you realize that there is an Apple Store there.

There isn't one in the Kansas City area and I travel so frequently (not) so I've never been to one. Actually, I'm about %15 excited and %85 ho hum. I do hope they have one of G5 machines there when we go in mid-August.

Is there one near El Segundo, CA? I've actually been there a few times on business, but its more like airport, hotel, office, hotel, office then airport. Maybe I'll sneak out one time.

19. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have done that after playing carmageddon for hours. I saw a person walking and thought, Ooo 200 points! Then I realized I wasn't playing. :rolleyes:

By the way Mrjamin, I have one up on you, I am moving tomorrow, but I made sure that I have a dial-up and Cell modem as backup to feed my internet desire.

20. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

yeah - i had dialup, but i couldn't deal with it! i hated it and thought i'd be better off waiting for NTL to come and hook me up with some 1mbit/s lovin'. Dialup is enough to make the internet a waste of time - oh wait; its the biggest waste of time even on broadband.

My girlfriend is the worst when it comes to distinguishing between games/reality; she got way too hooked on the sims and even ended up walking around talking like a sim, and when she got frustrated, she did that weird stamping on the floor thing. Very concerning...

Hope the move goes well stelliform!