You know you've lived in the cold for too long...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by masterapple04, Dec 15, 2005.

1. masterapple04 macrumors regular

when you look at one of those bank time/temperature signs, it says 28 F, and you think "Wow, the weather's getting warm..."

For reference, it was -2 F at my house this morning, and it was down to -5 at my girlfriend's. :eek:

Brrrr.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

wooo go MA people *highfive*

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

haha. i agree completely.

but its not the cold that bothers me. or the grey days. its the crappy stuff coming from the sky. snow, freezing rain and ice.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Pffft, that's nothing. it was -25 celsius here a week ago. Although it's "warmed up" for now, we're getting ready for -40 in about a month... and at -40, it doesn't matter whether you're in celsius or fahrenheit - literally. :cool:

5. masterapple04 thread starter macrumors regular

That -40 C/F thing I know. It gets hard to breathe at -2, and I can't imagine -40. There are times I'm VERY glad I don't live in Canada.

6. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Yeah and that damn Canadian air coming off the lake.

7. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

You Americans are all wimps. :D I forget exactly, but it was somewhere near -65 with windchill a few years ago.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

We get the extremes here on the Prairies - -40 in the winter for a couple weeks, but in the summer it hits +40 and +45 (100-120 fahrenheit), so we get it all! On the west coast it isn't that bad, up north it can get worse, but I guess there's bound to be quite the diverse climates when you're dealing with the second largest country on Earth. ;) :cool:

9. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

you guys must be kidding me, i need to where 4 layers at night in socal when its 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Gotta love that socal weather, i dont see how anyone coud live anywhere else. Plus i live in 45 minutes of everything geographically, the beached, mountains and snow, and the dessert. ::Content sigh:: Hooray socal !

10. applegirl macrumors regular

applegirl

My last semester of college I was surprised when my car started at -23 F in upstate NY. I got used to it after a while, but I still didn't like it; the best part was the secret pleasure I got out of first-semester freshman coming from California and complaining that 45 degrees in October was "absolutely freezing", unfortunately I didn't get to see their reaction to -14 in January :( . Am I cruel?

11. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I know exactly how you felt. My buddy at McGill had a couple Californians in his residence and they were wearing their obnoxiously big parkas in late October, and I'd just chuckle to myself.

I also got a kick out of how nearly every asian immigrant was walking around with umbrellas in the snow.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Haha - wimps... :p ;)

Now that's a new one, can't say I've heard that before - that's absolutely hilarious! :)

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I used to love looking at the forecasts in Canada and thinking "beauty, -10! I won't need my jacket today!!"

Now it's a billion degrees outside (well, 32 - not too bad I suppose), a million percent humidity and still. Not a breath of wind. I HATE SUMMER!!

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, I know what you mean - our summers are stupidly hot as well, but as well, a few years ago I backpacked through Australia during November, December and January - very hot. Especially in the heart of the Outback - I still remember climbing Ayers Rock at sunrise and it had gone down to a low of 28 celsius that night, and was already 35 celsius at 6:00 AM when we climbed. It hit about 55 celsius on top of The Rock that morning.... :eek: Perhaps even more scary is that I enjoyed it for some strange reason... :eek: :cool:

15. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I DESPISE the grey days.. so blah and miserable. Tonight it is freezing rain/raining but it is 25 degrees outside so it will all freeze. My girlfriend called me and said the roads were like a street of ice and she was stranded at the bottom of the hill because cars are sliding down. I hope there's no school tomorrow...

16. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Such a touching sight to see Canadians finally having something to feel proud about...living in miserable weather. Hehe, just kidding guys! Please, no one ban me! I love Canadians too!

Originally from NC, I'm really getting tired of this Ithaca, NY weather. Thank God I'm a senior. One year I had school up here in the winter and spent the summer down in San Antonio. THAT sure was backwards. Weather is for sure a good reason for me to return home to NC someday, not to mention the gravy and biscuits! :p

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

So you think you can just insult an entire nation and then make it alright by saying "just kidding"? :mad: ... Kay, now I'm just kidding... :p :D Just watch it though, it would be shame to see you get banned... :eek: :cool:

As for living in miserable weather, yeah, that +40 and +45 celsius weather in the summer is so miserable... hot sunny days, ick... :rolleyes: :p

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i don't know how you do it... i'm definitely a warm weather creature

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Ain't it just? I hope you're not kidding. Cause I'm bloody not. I'd actually prefer the -48-at-10am-with-the-sun-out I had last Christmas/New Years to the +35-and-cloudy-feeling-like-it's-about-to-rain-but-then-doesn't-and-there's-no-wind-to-cool-you-down that I'm getting this Christmas/New Years.

I'm moving to the Snowy Mountains. That's it, mind's made up. I'll even put up with the March flies that can bite you through a pair of jeans for the opportunity to never feel like I'm breathing in water instead of air ever again.

Give me somewhere dryish, cool and at some sort of altitude any day.

Yup, midnight. Still 30 degrees.

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Haha - as I sad in my above post, I, too, have experienced them both, and I do indeed know what you mean! :)

I'm used to the dry heat here on the Prairies, which I can manage. What really hit me hard when I was in Oz though was when I was in Darwin in December - the humidity was debilitating, I've never felt anything like that before...

21. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i agree... i do like it cold for the holidays... something wonderful about curling up next to a warm fire with snow on the ground...

but i wish the nasty weather only lasted for a month:D

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

today is just bad, frozen rain, and well us at the lab are well....totally fracking insane -_-, totally and utterly on the happy pill

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Lived in a tent at around minus 20F (without wind chill). Does that count?

It is really hard to poke your head out of your fart sack, er. sleeping bag, to get up.

BTW, starting a helicopter at those temperatures can be challenging.

Sushi

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I lived in Singapore for three and a bit years when I was younger. The humidity there is just amazing. You would step out of an air-conditioned building and be instantly sweaty and you felt almost greasy, as though you were suddenly doused in a thin film of detergent.

The cold of the Rockies didn't worry me so much as the dryness. I broke my hand skiing and had a sort of soft cast on for 7 or 8 weeks. A soon as it came off all the soft skin cracked right down to the flesh. It was excruciating, worse than the original injury. I'm looking for somewhere in the middle of Singapore's "vertical ocean atmosphere" and the "suck the liquid from your eyeballs" dryness of the Rockies. That's why i figure the Snowies are the go.

25. jdechko macrumors 68040

I'll stick with the weather here in Georgia, thank you very much. I hate the cold. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. Give me sunny and 75 any day of the week.

Did I mention that I hate the cold?