you like my pets?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DisFrikkenWill, Apr 10, 2006.

1. DisFrikkenWill macrumors member

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

some people are just really odd. If i saw one of those things, I would run away in a hurry. Anyone who owns one... well they wouldnt be my friend.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

*runs to Walmart to get some industrial strength bug spray* just in case...

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

poor mouse

Imagin being the mouse who has done nothing and gets fed to those things for the enjoyment of the owner.

After a few seconds of watching each vid I had to close the windows. I can pretty much easily watch some wild animal/critter eat another on say the Discovery channel in a nature show. But not in a closed captive environment like that.

5. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

creepy

That's nasty. The world should be rid of those things by tomorrow. Congress should get involved with this and the guy who does own those pets should be dropped off in the middle of the ocean to survive. That was just sick to even watch.

6. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Hmmm...maybe the owner fed the centipede for the survival of the centipede? As someone that has made a living taking care of predators in captivity, and has a firm grasp on the reality of predator-prey relationships, I'd say that enjoyment doesn't have to enter the equation. Just as services like YouTube are used by others for posting valuable or interesting information about consumer electronics, people in other areas of science can use it to show others evidence of certain animal behaviors or habits to their peers, as with this centipede. That cenditpede is a wild animal that is living in captivity.:rolleyes:

Where does the video suggest that this specimen is a pet? Is it possible that this insect is used in education at some public facility?

PS: I work in a public aquarium (non-profit) that works diligently at educating people about their environment and the animals that live in the very same place. The lack of understanding of predator-prey relationships seem to be HIGH on the list of the fools that go out of their way to kill animals like seals, sea lions, mountain lions, bears and even bald eagles in my home county. Why do they kill these mean animals? Because they kill and eat other animals, as they have since long before Europeans graced the west coast of the US.

Being afraid of something isn't a reason to kill it. :rolleyes: Read the sig'.

7. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

I'll try to remember that next time I see an annoying teenager. Too bad they have the law on their side though eh? :D :rolleyes:

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

gross. just gross. sorry but if i see one of those it will be staring down the business end of my shoe. ;) that's the reality of "the food chain" and i reserve my right to be a destructive human in this case. i have the same level of empathy for spiders and other such insects. <shudders>

9. neut macrumors 68000

neut

I don't even want to think about what kind of dreams this will spawn for me ... :eek:

OT - iBlue Damn girl! That avatar is hot! :D

peace | neut

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yup. I have goosebumps all over now. :shudder:

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

While being born a white mouse is like wearing a red shirt on Star Trek - you're gonna die a horrible death, it's just a question of when - I find this to be very disturbing, and would feel an odd sense of satisfaction were I to hear of the owner's demise after leaving the cage accidentally open overnight.

12. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Jeez I really didn't fracking need that. I didn't even look at the 2nd link. Poor mouse!! :( :( :(
    *runs from room crying*

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I wish I did what my heart told me to-- but I watched part of the 2nd link-- I think it's even more sad than the first. :(

14. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I used to have a toad that ate mice. I found it was alot less diturbing if I fed him feeder goldfish. Yeah, he had to eat like 5 or 6 of them as opposed to one mouse, but it wasnt nearly as primitaive and his poo was easier to clean up.

At least the bug "kills" the mouse as quickly as possible before it sucked its essence from him like a Gelfling.

15. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Seriously. Those were some disturbing videos.

16. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Well to avoid this particular species just don't spend lots of time tipping rocks in the Peru. (or hanging out in bug exhibits or freaky pet stores) ;)

Even more fun? Mice are cannibals, but cute cannibals!

HA! I like the Gelfling part.

My ball pythons don't use venom, but then, they don't have to kill the freshly thawed mice that I feed them. How is feeding fish less primative though? They don't blink? Really, this is an honest question, not a challenge. I often wonder why it is that people visiting the aquarium want to see a shark tear apart another fish, knowing that they would probably pass out if they got the chance to watch a polar bear kill a baby seal. I'm convinced it's that fish (and reptiles like snakes, and insects too) appear somewhat soulless due to the lack of blinking. I think I even had one bright visitor notify me that fish don't feel pain, so watching one get torn apart wasn't as grizzly as watching a furry mammal get eaten. I nodded and smiled. So snakes, fish, insects and all the rest of them non-blinkers should all die horribly for killing anything cute, but an orca is just doing its thang when it plays catch with a freshly killed seal carcass, tossing it back and forth with a member of the pod. They are all just doing what they're designed to do right? It's sometimes hard to find the right words to explain how nature actually works to these folks, so maybe some of you can explain to me what I'm missing?

17. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

It called the food chain. We eat other animals, sometimes raw. Its not fun to watch this because the mice are mammals so we identify with them. If it was a video of a Racoon eating a shrimp there wouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, Giant Centipedes bites are very dangerous. As far as bites go they are below most venomous snakes, but above most tarantulas and the like.

18. aquajet macrumors 68020

19. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

While this is nothing new to me, I think its wrong of you to push the mouse into the Centipede the way you did with the feather.

What happnened to survivial of the fittest?

20. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I was kinda thinking the same thing, but its for sake of time I'm sure. Its not like the mouse is gonna magically get away, the centipede will get it every time. Given enough time that is. Whats worse is that I know with my tarantula, pushing it at her too much freaks her out and sends her into defensive mode, not offensive eating mode.

EDIT: I don't feed mice to my tarantula, only crickets and the occasional ball of meat. But she eats so infrequently that I usually don't have raw beef lying around to feed her with. She doesn't like chicken by the way.

21. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

22. aquajet macrumors 68020

The centipede or the rat?

While Coulter might be as ugly as the centipede (at least on the inside), there would be something delightful to watch a centipede devour her.

23. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

If you listen to the audio in the second one, I'm pretty sure you can tell its a pet and not for education purposes. Unless its the education of rednecks.

24. DCapple macrumors regular

DCapple

25. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Great. Just wonderful.

I can't even wear my shirt, now, because every ruffle of the fabric feels like the touch of an insect. Thanks a lot... I'm shivering, in pajama bottoms, with no quilt. At least it's too cold for those darn things to survive... *inches blanket tentatively over body*