You Mac guys have to check this out...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by theISHkid, Aug 4, 2005.

1. theISHkid macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2004
    Moore, OK

You have to go read this article... these "tech" guys are absolute morons. Obviously people that are pissed off that Apple is better and more inovative then their wonderful pc's. First they are claim that an e machines is packaged better than a mac mini... EMachines? What the crap??? I used to work at Sams club when they were stocking emachines... we went through three different computers just to find one with a working mouse.
    Then their brilliant tech guys can't figure out after 15 minutes that their monitor is not plugged in. It doesn't take my girlfriend 5 minutes to figure out when her monitor is not plugged in... What the Crap??? These are "tech" guys! I wanna know what school NOT to go to.
    I think it shows that when you complain because a computer is not loud enough... you have problems. Even if you're not a mac person... it really makes you wonder how smart these guys have to be that it takes 15 minutes to figure out a monitor is not plugged in.
  2. Verto macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2005
    Denton, TX
  3. Verto macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2005
    Denton, TX
    Other gems:

"The Mini has got some built-in software for basic computer functions, but it can’t do many common things as well as its grown-up brothers in the Windows world can. The little things can add up to big frustration for someone who might accidentally buy a Mini expecting it to be just like Windows. For example, there is no Outlook Express for email, "

"Secondly and possibly even more glaringly, there is no antivirus program shipped with the Mac. In today’s climate of non-stop worms, trojans and viruses, releasing a computer with no virus removal software is irresponsible on the part of Apple. The OS X comes with some system maintenance utilities, but essentials such as a defragmenter or a registry cleaner are notably absent. I would expect a Mini to get really slow and unstable within a couple months if you can’t perform any routine maintenance tasks on it."

"To see how much industry support the Mac platform has these days, I did a google to see if there were Mac versions of any of my favorite applications; unfortunately I ended up disappointed every time. There are very few first-person shooters for OSX. There is no Mac version of WeatherBug to check the temperature anywhere in the world. Nor is there a Mac version of helpful web and email enhancers like Hotbar. Or any equivalent of the DealHelper software I use to keep track of my passwords. My Office 2003 CD would not install, despite claims I had heard from Mac fanboys that OS X is compatible with Office. Heck, the Internet Explorer icon isn’t even out on the taskbar by default, it’s buried in the c:\applications folder. "

Oh no! No WeatherBug! Instead Mac users must go without that spyware infested waste of system resources and get a Firefox extension or simply a Widget! Same with DealHelper and...whatever Hotbar is. And IE ISN'T EVEN ON THE TASKBAR BY DEFAULT! I need to cancel my iMac order! Steve Jobs' reality distortion field tricked me into thinking it came with Windows Vista!
  4. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2002
    Anywhere but here
    It is clear that the guy who wrote this article is being sarcastic

Take this example: "When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform--it doesn't make sense for me to "switch" to a Mac at this time."
  5. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
  6. orfanotna macrumors newbie

Jul 30, 2005
    You guys ever heard of satire?

Edit: Heh.. 2 people beat me to it.
  7. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
  8. Verto macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2005
    Denton, TX
    I don't know which was better, it being a joke or it being serious. On the one hand, the guy wasn't a complete idiot..on the other hand, now I'm a complete idiot.
  9. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation

But they have a real review of the PB G5!!!!!1111ONE1111!!!! OMG

10. ThatSoundAgain macrumors member

Apr 10, 2005
    It's satire. Read his concluding paragraph:

Done just obscurely enough to generate a lot of hits.

On preview:taeclee99 and lacero beat me to it.
  11. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Looking at your quote, I see this guy hasn't realized that printers are USB there says, not that huge ugly thing.
  12. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    posted to soon without reading enough!

Thanks for the link, theISHkid!
  13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    the story is a few month or so old. this guy is not funny, he is an idiot. you could have noticed the failed attempt of humor in there but you can also miss it. you're not the idiot, he is. the whole site is a waste of virtual space. somebody should create the internet domain .trash and move crap like this there.
  14. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I still like the picture of the hands holding the Mac mini, a representation of prayer. Also good to have some satire to end the day!
  15. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    Salt Lake
    DUH... Can You Spell "PCee"

Holy $*** I can't believe that people can be so ignorant and misleading... Has anyone else seen the Mac Mini advertised as smaller than a pack of gum, or a few quarters in weight (Maybe people should really look at the differences between different products i.e. Shuffle and Mini). Does anyone else here not understand that a VGA and DVI connection differ? Maybe you need a Parallel to hook up your dad's or grand-dads printer?

I'm sorry but this is the most poor article on the net I've ever wasted my time reading...

Oh and the Best Part (Taken straight from the Article itself.)
    "When I consider that a good deal of my time is spent running applications like Disk Defragmenter, Scandisk, Norton AV, Windows Update and Ad-Aware--none of which are available for the Mac platform"

-WE DON'T NEED THEM (... because your the one in the "reality distortion field")

... Do any of you "Switchers" out there miss these programs. (from my limited Windoze experiences I sure don't)

*** This Article does indeed raise the query; How many Mac OS X users, use anti-virus Software?

*** As for Satire... well this guy needs to learn how to do it.
  16. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    After I read the whole thing I am totally confident that he was poking fun. Read some of the other articles on that site.
  17. coalquay404 macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2005
    I recall Slashdot and OSNews had articles on this site a few months back. It was obvious to all then that it's satirical so why isn't it obvious to people now?
  18. kainjow Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    At the end it says "Jorge Lopez is a DeVry graduate with an MCSE certification..."

lol Whether that's true or not, I'm a DeVry student so .. -> :(

19. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
    It was a joke when we talked about it here three months or so ago too.
  20. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

May 13, 2005
    It turned into obvious satire at this point:

Funny :D
  21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I agree... this website is attempting to be satirical but fails.
  22. easymac800g4 macrumors member

Dec 14, 2004
    tuscaloosa, Alabama
    it certanly got people to take a second look. the funniest part is everyone's reaction to it! the people that originally thought it was real!
  23. theISHkid thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2004
    Moore, OK
    F N A... I was tricked! Sorry for the freak out guys... I was in a hurry and only read half of it before it pissed me off enough to post the link. The sad thing is that all I did was type "mac mini review" in safari's google bar and this was the first return. I was trying to find a review for a friend I'm trying to switch to macs and this did not help any.
  24. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    Can you say Chi-City??
    the thing that i laughed the most at is the fact that the author is a DeVry graduate. i was beginning to think that was only a school that existed on TV...