you may say i'm a dreamer, but i'm not the only one

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Dec 23, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...someday we will catch sony, and the world will live as one"

i like apple products first and foremost

but why can the japanese companies like sharp, sony, and others make ultra thin, ultra light laptops and apple's lightest offering is the ibook at 4.9 lbs

our thinnest laptop is the tibook at 1" but those same japanese makers have laptops that are 20 to 30 percent thinner than the tibook

all things considered, the ibook and tibook is the computer field's best one-two punch for laptops, but i do sometimes like certain design aspects of the japanese super thin, super light machines

every year in the mobile computing field, lighter and thinner gets the attention of almost every mobile user

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: you may say i'm a dreamer, but i'm not the only one

Its a matter of priorities. these thinner notebooks tend not to even have an optical drive, and certainly not a super drive in there. Apple chose a niche. Its going for a full featured notebook thats as portable as possible, not a laptop thats as portable as possible with whatever features they can fit in there. You can't have both. not yet anyway. I'm sure apple is working on thinner, lighter stuff, but they aren't going to give up features to achieve it, and the products life cycles just aren't over yet.

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: you may say i'm a dreamer, but i'm not the only one

you are right that most don't feature on board optical drive

but these machines do have a good array of ports in an amazingly small form factor