You might want to wait on the Xserve...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Rower_CPU, May 15, 2002.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I watched the video footage of the Xserve introduction today (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/xserve/), and was struck by a question asked by one of the audience members.

Since Xserve ships in June, and Jaguar won't be available until late Summer, the guy in the audience asked what the upgrade situation would be for Jaguar Server. Steve Jobs flat out told him that it would be a paid upgrade.

For those on a tight budget, this means paying twice for the server software...and those extre few hundred bucks make a difference. It also indicates that Jaguar will be a paid upgrade for the client users as well.

Thoughts?

2. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Did he say how much it would be? It's unlikely it will be an expensive upgrade.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: You might want to wait on the Xserve...

But will the Jaguar Server software come out at the same time as Jaguar for the rest of the Macs? It does sound like it would be good to wait. But I could also think that some people might be waiting anyway to see how the word of mouth about the XServe comes out.

I'm sure Apple will be posting stories on their news section once these things start shipping, but the impartial reviews might be just as important. If I was dumping a bucket load of money on a new server, I'd want too know it was field tested.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I would imagine it would be in the 200-300 range, since the software costs 1000 to begin with.

Hey beej, congrats on making it to the top 10!

5. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: You might want to wait on the Xserve...

Agreed. SJ and Schiller both discussed benchmarking and said something to the effect of "initial numbers are good, but we want do some more tests".

The Genentech rep also discussed performance and said that the performance increase over other platforms is not only measurable, but meaningful. High praise, there.

The other interesting thing is that the Xserve RAID won't be coming out until end of the year, and I see that as an integral part of Apple offerring a "complete" server solution. I'm really excited by all this, but it feels a little piece-meal to me.

6. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'll second that. Not to be mean or anything, but I find your posts much more valuable/funny than the person you replaced. :D

7. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

*Takes a bow*

Thank you, thank you! Aw, shucks you guys... you really make me feel special!

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oh, don't even get me started there. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Good points, too, on the benchmarking. The RAID support is key to gaining larger acceptance, but Apple's always brought things out at their own pace, even if it can be frustrating at times.

9. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I bet we've sent everyone scurrying off to look at the top 11 posters now! :)

Love to stay and chat, but I'm off to Uni now :( Damn that education stuff. Just telling you cause I might have lost my top 10 position by the time I get bac tonight... :(

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Hmmm.... mac15.... :D

11. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Shhh...;)

12. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Getting back to the topic, IIRC, the 10.1 server upgrade was the same as the regular upgrade, $20.

13. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I just hope that the upgrade doesn't cost much. You do have to admit, though, that Apple is doing a good job with keeping the OS up to date, and they deserve something (maybe not 120 bucks, or 1000 for the server, but something more like 20-40 for the regular, and 100 for the server)

But... A free update would be nice too :D