"You need to restart your computer"-error message, computer freeze

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Poff, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Hello,

A while ago, this happened to me several times. And now it has happened again, three times during the last two days, so I thought I'd ask you about it.

Suddenly the computer freezes, and I get a message on screen, in several languages, that I have to restart my computer. I've attached a mobile-shot. (I didn't rotate it, because I don't know how much time I have before the computer freezes again)

I entered this question in hardware discussion and help because it doesn't seem to have anything to do with os x.

Do anyone know what's happening?

edit:attached a rotated version of the pic.
    my computer is a G4 iMac 700MHz 640MB ram, plenty of free disk space

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

This is a kernel panic, and is generally pretty rare on OS X. I think I've seen them 4 or 5 times on my machines, and I've been running OS X since the beta versions.

If you're getting a lot of them, it could be a number of things:

1. Logic board problem
    2. Software corruption
    3. Preferences problem (unlikely)

Try running disk utility, repair repair permissions (I'd look up the Stickie link from MR, but it's too unreliable right now) and also boot from the OS X Install CD and try repairing the drive. If you have the Hardware Tools CD, run that as well.

Have you installed any new software lately, or new hardware?

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It could also be an issue with RAM. If you installed new RAM, that's a likely culprit.

Linkety has a section on Kernel Panics. I think its on the link for Part Two...

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

iBook G4/800 or iBook G3/700? I thought the G4 started at 800 MHz. Especially if you have a G3, go to this Apple link and check your serial number against the listed numbers. You can get your SN by clicking on the Apple menu, then About This Mac, then More Info.

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

If it is a G4, then I'd look at the repair permissions, etc, as listed in the previous reply.

5. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Have you tried booting from the iMac Hardware Test CD that came with your computer?

Run the extended test, if there is a problem with the memory (most likely cause of kernel panics) it will PROBABLY find it.

6. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

First of all, thanks for all the great replies! You are very helpful!

Hmm.. I repaired disk permissions now, a lot of things were wrong, it seems. Here's a summary. Will look more into the problem tomorrow if it doesn't disappear.

2005-01-12 06:07:03 +0100 - Reparasjon av rettigheter har startet
    Permissions differ on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util, should be -rwsr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util
    Permissions corrected on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/hfs.util. New permissions are 33261
    Permissions differ on ./private/etc/hostconfig, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -rw-r--r--
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/etc/hostconfig
    Permissions corrected on ./private/etc/hostconfig
    Group differs on ./private/var/db/SystemConfiguration/preferences.xml, should be 0, group is 80
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/db/SystemConfiguration/preferences.xml
    Permissions corrected on ./private/var/db/SystemConfiguration/preferences.xml
    User differs on ./private/var/db/locate.database, should be 0, owner is -2
    Permissions differ on ./private/var/db/locate.database, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -r--r--r--
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/db/locate.database
    Permissions corrected on ./private/var/db/locate.database
    Permissions differ on ./private/var/db/netinfo/local.nidb/Clean, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rw-------
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/db/netinfo/local.nidb/Clean
    Permissions corrected on ./private/var/db/netinfo/local.nidb/Clean
    Group differs on ./private/var/run/utmp, should be 0, group is 1
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/run/utmp
    Permissions corrected on ./private/var/run/utmp
    Permissions differ on ./Library/Documentation/Services/apache/install.html.es, should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r--
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Documentation/Services/apache/install.html.es
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Documentation/Services/apache/install.html.es
    Permissions differ on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/QuickTime Plugin, should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/QuickTime Plugin
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/QuickTime Plugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/QuickTime Plugin
    User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Shockwave Flash NP-PPC, should be 0, owner is 501
    Permissions differ on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Shockwave Flash NP-PPC, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r--
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Shockwave Flash NP-PPC
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Shockwave Flash NP-PPC
    User differs on ./Library/Perl/darwin/auto, should be 0, owner is 503
    Group differs on ./Library/Perl/darwin/auto, should be 80, group is 20
    Permissions differ on ./Library/Perl/darwin/auto, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Perl/darwin/auto
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Perl/darwin/auto
    User differs on ./Library/Perl/darwin, should be 0, owner is 503
    Group differs on ./Library/Perl/darwin, should be 80, group is 20
    Permissions differ on ./Library/Perl/darwin, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Perl/darwin
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Perl/darwin
    User differs on ./Library/Perl, should be 0, owner is 503
    Group differs on ./Library/Perl, should be 80, group is 20
    Permissions differ on ./Library/Perl, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Perl
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Perl
    Permissions differ on ./System/Library/Sounds/Glass.aiff, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rw-rw-rw-
    Owner and group corrected on ./System/Library/Sounds/Glass.aiff
    Permissions corrected on ./System/Library/Sounds/Glass.aiff
    Permissions differ on ./System/Library/Sounds/Purr.aiff, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rw-rw-rw-
    Owner and group corrected on ./System/Library/Sounds/Purr.aiff
    Permissions corrected on ./System/Library/Sounds/Purr.aiff
    Permissions differ on ./System/Library/Sounds/Submarine.aiff, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rw-rw-rw-
    Owner and group corrected on ./System/Library/Sounds/Submarine.aiff
    Permissions corrected on ./System/Library/Sounds/Submarine.aiff
    Permissions differ on ./usr/bin/more, should be -r-xr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./usr/bin/more
    Permissions corrected on ./usr/bin/more
    Permissions differ on ./usr/libexec/MiniTerm.app/Contents/version.plist, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -rw-r--r--
    Owner and group corrected on ./usr/libexec/MiniTerm.app/Contents/version.plist
    Permissions corrected on ./usr/libexec/MiniTerm.app/Contents/version.plist
    Permissions differ on ./private/etc/slpsa.conf, should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are -rw-r--r--
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/etc/slpsa.conf
    Permissions corrected on ./private/etc/slpsa.conf
    Permissions differ on ./usr/share/man/man1/more.1, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -rw-r--r--
    Owner and group corrected on ./usr/share/man/man1/more.1
    Permissions corrected on ./usr/share/man/man1/more.1
    Permissions differ on ./usr/share/man/man3/db.3, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -rw-r--r--
    Owner and group corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/db.3
    Permissions corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/db.3
    Permissions differ on ./usr/share/man/man3/DB.3, should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -r--r--r--
    Owner and group corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/DB.3
    Permissions corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/DB.3
    Permissions differ on ./usr/share/man/man3/db.3, should be -r--r--r-- , they are -rw-r--r--
    Owner and group corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/db.3
    Permissions corrected on ./usr/share/man/man3/db.3
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/PkgInfo, should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r--
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/PkgInfo
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iMovie.app/Contents/PkgInfo
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/ContactSheetPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter/Contents/MacOS/ContactSheetPrintFormatter, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/ContactSheetPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter/Contents/MacOS/ContactSheetPrintFormatter
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/ContactSheetPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter/Contents/MacOS/ContactSheetPrintFormatter
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/FileExporter.iPhotoExporter/Contents/MacOS/FileExporter, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/FileExporter.iPhotoExporter/Contents/MacOS/FileExporter
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/FileExporter.iPhotoExporter/Contents/MacOS/FileExporter
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/FullPagePrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter/Contents/MacOS/FullPagePrintFormatter, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x

7. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/FullPagePrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter/Contents/MacOS/FullPagePrintFormatter
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/FullPagePrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter/Contents/MacOS/FullPagePrintFormatter
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/GreetingCardPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter/Contents/MacOS/GreetingCardPrintFormatter, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/GreetingCardPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter/Contents/MacOS/GreetingCardPrintFormatter
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/GreetingCardPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter/Contents/MacOS/GreetingCardPrintFormatter
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/HTMLExporter.iPhotoExporter/Contents/MacOS/HTMLExporter, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/HTMLExporter.iPhotoExporter/Contents/MacOS/HTMLExporter
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/HTMLExporter.iPhotoExporter/Contents/MacOS/HTMLExporter
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/QTExporter.iPhotoExporter/Contents/MacOS/QTExporter, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/QTExporter.iPhotoExporter/Contents/MacOS/QTExporter
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/QTExporter.iPhotoExporter/Contents/MacOS/QTExporter
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/SizedPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter/Contents/MacOS/SizedPrintFormatter, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/SizedPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter/Contents/MacOS/SizedPrintFormatter
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/PlugIns/SizedPrintFormatter.iPhotoPrintFormatter/Contents/MacOS/SizedPrintFormatter
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Books/Catalog/book.xml, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Books/Catalog/book.xml
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Books/Catalog/book.xml
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Books/Picture Book/book.xml, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Books/Picture Book/book.xml
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Books/Picture Book/book.xml
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Books/Portfolio/book.xml, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Books/Portfolio/book.xml
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Books/Portfolio/book.xml
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Books/Year Book/book.xml, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Books/Year Book/book.xml
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Books/Year Book/book.xml
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/Mail.scpt, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/Mail.scpt
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/Mail.scpt
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/Music/Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring.mp3, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/Music/Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring.mp3
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/Music/Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring.mp3
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/Music/Minuet in G.mp3, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/Music/Minuet in G.mp3
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/Music/Minuet in G.mp3
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/Mail.scpt, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/Mail.scpt
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/Mail.scpt
    Permissions differ on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/PkgInfo, should be -rwxrwxr-x , they are -rw-rw-r--
    Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/PkgInfo
    Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/PkgInfo
    User differs on ./Library/Application Support/Adobe/TypeSpt, should be 0, owner is 501
    Permissions differ on ./Library/Application Support/Adobe/TypeSpt, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Application Support/Adobe/TypeSpt
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Application Support/Adobe/TypeSpt
    User differs on ./Library/Application Support/Adobe, should be 0, owner is 501
    Permissions differ on ./Library/Application Support/Adobe, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxrwxrwx
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Application Support/Adobe
    Permissions corrected on ./Library/Application Support/Adobe
    2005-01-12 06:32:54 +0100 - Rettighetene har blitt reparert på det markerte volumet.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It says "iMac," and yes the "iMac" line did start at 700 MHz.

9. tykles macrumors member

I was getting kernel panics when plugging in and syncing my 4G 20GB ipod with isight plugged into the other firewire port.

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if you have apple care you should tell them thats happening because that isnt a normal thing

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Eeep, sorry. :(

That, by the way, is an insane list of fixed permissions...typical is to get two or three...

12. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

first kernel panic

My Ti PB (bought new three years ago) just had a kernel panic with Safari. I think this is the first time my Ti experienced with a kernel panic, even though it had some "freezes." My 1 year old Al PB is yet to have the kernel panic (knock on wood).

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Are there any USB devices connected (other than keyboard/mouse) when it goes/wakes up from sleep?

When do the panics happen? When you open an application? When you quit one? When the machine wakes from sleep?

14. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

yes you said it.
    I came across this kernel panic for a couple of times.
    Sometimes it happened just after waking up, but i forgot whether i plugged USB devices... and, a lot more likely to happen during some games. I remember this happened twice in the same game: The Ford Racing 2 on my pm dp2.0...
    I fix the permissions and do all the maintainous job everytime i crashed like this.
    I'll go through the hardware test....

By the way, I added additional ram onto my machine, 2x256 ddr400 pc3200, from kingston. Is that allright?

15. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

well, I've done through the hardware extend test which reports no problem. ...I hope so...

:)

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

They may/may not be defective. RAM is the usual case of a Kernel Panic (aka, hardware). I have yet to get a software kernel panic... only one being right after I installed RAM and it passed hardware tests, etc. Still going fine without one. :)