"You need to restart your computer" ???

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Lz0, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Lz0 macrumors regular

"You need to restart your computer" and then instructions on how to do that just appeared in several languages in the middle of my half greyed out screen.

I could do nothing but restart, and there is no log of this event.

What just happened???

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

That's the Jaguar version of a kernel panic. I've had it once before, too.

A kernel panic is a freak out in the UNIX part of OS X itself, meaning that something SERIOUSLY went wrong.. but it's not anything you shuold be worried about.

irmongoose

3. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Dude that would happen to me anytime I unplugged the USB devices and the power.... but not anymore.... I think I'm going to have to name my iBook HAL.

4. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Yop, kernel panic.

Look for a file called panic.log (in finder). That has a log of it and the error reason ... that can be deciphered.

5. Steradian macrumors 6502

Might be good to run fsck, or a repair permissios :) i have only had one Kernal panice...ever...in 2 years...I am sooo lucky :)

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

reboot your computer and run fsck by pressing command (the apple thing)+s to start up in single user mode, then type in "/sbin/fsck -y" don't forget to leave a space between fsck and -y and just wait.
    If it tells you "(name of hard drive) seems to be OK" then type in "reboot". If it doesnt and says it needed to modify some files run fsck again until it tells you it's okay, then reboot.