You think you're so smart?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by idkew, May 24, 2004.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    I am tired of hearing people bitch and moan about how things are going poorly in Iraq, but few offer ways to fix the situation. Mostly it seems that Bush=bad and Not Bush=good.

So- this thread is for people to voice their opinions about what to do in Iraq. (You can't take back that it happened, because it has. We can't immediately pull out and leave the region, because complete anarchy would reign and more would die.)

Sample questions:
    How would you fix the situation?
    How would you stop militia fighters from implementing another dictatorship?
    How would you protect the innocents?
    .... you get the point

I am hoping both sides of the fence will jump in the fray.

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

1st. You have to have a larger force. IE impose a draft, and get enough men there to do the job. Controlling the influx of anti-US forces is key. Seal the border with Syria and Iran, and make it know that anyone caught coming accross the border will be met with extreme predjudice.

You stop the militia fighters by killing them for forcing them to surrender. Period. It is tough, but it is neccessary.

Protect the innocents by eliminating the militia's. They are the ones that are fighting behind children and women.

You have to get control, and you have to get control in the hands of Iraqi's.

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The first step is to increase goodwill among muslims/Arabs/Iraqis. Show them that we are committed to peace, democracy, and justice in the middle east: stop funding Israel, support the immediate creation of a Palistinian state and the withdrawl of Isreal from the occupied territories (inlcuding all "settlements"), protect Palistinians from Israel (and vice versa), spend the money we gift to Israel on schools, infrastructure, social development, business, etc. in Palestine.

Make all efforts to internationalize the occupation of Iraq.

Fire Rumsfeld.

4. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I would have never gone in the first place. An ounce of prevention and all ;)

5. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

and how would you fix what has happened now?

or, how would you have prevented?

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

My plan for fixing it is to get Rid of Bush come November. No country in their right mind will trust him ever again. Without a new leader we can't get support from other countries or the UN. Hopefully when they see the US public as ousted their own dictator and put in a democratic leader (vs. dicatator) they will be willing to work with us again.

Prevented??? I wouldn't have gone in. There was no justifiable reasons for going in.

7. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

getting rid of bush does not change anything for iraqis. maybe for you, but not for the people in the war zone.

8. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I disagree. If the International Community will deal with us because we have gotten rid of Bush we will be able to turn over power to the UN forces and to the Iraqi's. If not, were stuck.

9. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

but giving UN the control does not make problems disappear magically.

let me phrase it this way for you: if you were the UN, how would you fix it?

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

For starters I'd bring Bush to trial. Then I would try and work with the Middle East community to bring self-rule to the Iraqi people.

11. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i could sit and speculate about what i would do, but i doubt i'd come up with a good answer, in the end i'd try and find out what the iraqi people would want to do... however my guess is that since the majority is shiite they would end up with the most power, which isn't fair to sunni muslims or the kurdish people...

its complicated, i'd need a lot more info than i can get from the damn twisted media to even think about deciding.

i'd have to agree though that getting rid of bush is a good step that i can take as a citizen of america. and for what its worth now i would not have gone in. but as you said its to late now.

another thing i would do in the future is try and educate the people of the us more about the culture and society of Iraq, something that i certainly missed out sorely in my education unfortunately, and i know i'm not alone. Incompetence is exactly what we don't need when we read newspapers about Iraqi's and Americans killing eachother, it only brings about a bias.

12. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

This thread is OBVIOUSLY not about Bush. Rather, this thread serves to provide a 'forum' for discussion regarding different strategies for stabilizing and securing post-war Iraq. If you want to spout off about how Bush has ruined the world, get a job as a reporter or at least use one of the other umpteen anit-bush threads on this site and stop misguiding this one.

I'd follow the coalition plan to a T, except i'd get us some of that new Iraqi oil. Then, I'd ask congress to give everyone who served a huge bonus. Next, I'd help the Iraqi's prepare a team for the summer games, and let them light the torch, in front of the world.

Finally, I'd allow more foriegn investment and more multinational corporations to set up shop in Iraq. If they could begin to use of that oil capital to create other profitable industries, perhaps the use of force will not be required in other middle eastern nations. hopefully, Iraq's huge economic success could serve as an example to other nations in that region. "Capitalism makes everybody richer, our system makes all the bin Whoever's richer. Hmmm. Whatever shall we do??"

13. yahooz macrumors member

Even 8th graders know the proper definition of dictator.

14. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Yup. So do I. Bush is a dictator.

15. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

It *is* about Bush because Bush is the reason we are in this mess. Dealing with him is step 1 for dealing with the problem *he* created in Iraq.

16. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

kuyu- how observant of you!

neserk- please start a new thread if you want to complain more about bush. that is not the point of this thread.

17. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

i agree that ignorance causes problems, but i do not think that it is possible or correct to teach in compulsory school the history of every nation in the world. yes, we could use more middle east history in the books, but we can't focus on each and every country and get our children out and working within 18 years. there is a point where you have to say "good enough".

18. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Construction of a device for the sole purpose of travelling back in time is against the laws of the Federation.
    If your middle name is Tiberius or you are a British-sounding French captain are you allowed to travel back in time to undo something that was done. ;) :D :D

But if you do, you have to smooch every female guest star, even if they are of a different race... err... species. :eek:

19. howard macrumors 68020

howard

as far as education goes, in middle and high school the only history education children receive is western history. Maybe some highschools have the advantage and at least offer eastern culturn courses, but they are few and far between as are the students attending those classes. throughout my public schooling i learned western and us history probablyt about 3 or 4 times, every time regurgitating the same things. I personally think there should be a world history or split all these classes into regions, eastern western and US history. whatever, anything to start of the process.

The fact that there is NO education about the middle east in most public schools when that is arguable the most influential area of the world scares me.

20. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

You brought up the subject and asked the questions. I answered them. If you don't like my answers that is your problem, not mine. As far as I can tell getting rid of Bush is the solution to the problem, or at least the start of the solution. If you don't want to know what others think, don't ask.

21. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Sure we can. You pick one region a month and let the students experience pieces of different cultures. And you don't have 18 years. You have 13.

22. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

In high school I had (trying to remember) Far Eastern Studies, US History, and Western History. Never was even given the opportunity to study the Middle East. In College I had Western Civilization (Yawn) and US History. Again, no opportunity to study the Middle East. I did do ancient studies of the middle east in Graduate School as I was a Theology student. But that goes back too far to help today.

23. howard macrumors 68020

howard

no chance to study the middle east in college either? thats crazy, we had an elective that i took on the middle east in college, but no courses on anything but western culture in high school...

btw this also applies for art, all the art history i have ever had the chance to study has been western. this bugs me

24. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Okay, forgive me my one diversion from the thread, but that was to reply to Neserk who couldn't wait to commence with the Bush-bashing and not even forward a credible solution to the problem at hand.

Let's see...

Increase the number of troops in country.

Recruit some of the Iraqis to augment US troops in doing border patrol and stopping of *ANY* border incursions.

Border entry, if not done via border checkpoints, are to be considered a hostile act and will be met with immediate devastating force.

Get the Army Corp of Engineers to start laying mines, starting with the favorite entry corridors from Syria, Iran, etc.

Institute a bounty system whereby the capture of known terrorists/fugitives from justice will be rewarded.

Subdivide Iraq into tribal areas, and ask to have elections be held for each tribal area, for delegates to a Constitutional Convention to be held at a future date and place.

Insurgent uprisings, that threaten the peace and tranquility of the area will be dealt with in the following manner...
    a) the area will be surrounded by US and Coalition forces
    b) residents of the area will be encouraged to leave within 72 hours
    c) equipment and supplies will not be allowed into the area
    d) US and Coalition forces will innundate the entire area with bacon grease and pork byproducts... :p ... lacking the adequate amount of pork byproducts, the entire area will be demolished with judicious use of MOAB and other high-yield conventional explosive devices rendering the uninhabitable. Insurgents get their 72 virgins in a single joint ceremony. :p
    e) rinse and repeat when necessary :eek: :eek: :eek:

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what does it mean to "fix the situation?" if it involves iraqi self-rule w/o any commentary on the US' reputation, then that's a military pullout.

if the question is: how do we place democracy in iraq while maintaining (whatever that means) a good US reputation, then i'm highly doubtful it's even possible.

however it ends, i don't think it'll end better than vietnam, the ramifications of which are debated to this day.