you turn off your mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, Aug 22, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

hi, simple poll... I turn off my mac pro every night... wake up every morning, if I let always turn on can be get some problem? basically the questions is how much time is recommendable use the mac pro without turn off? :confused:

thanks

2. macrumors 6502a

camomac

i never turn my computers off. (G5, and G4 QS).

it was explained to me like this, true or not-
    turning on/off the computer is like bending a paper clip back and forth,
    after a while the circuits get hot and brittle and can break easier.

3. macrumors 6502a

mine usually runs 24/7, doesnt effect energy consumption much either way.
    I believe the PSU is capable of handling the long usage, i mean the system is practically server grade' meaning always on mode - and its more than capable of handling that.

the fact that it draws more energy on every power on and cold boots, unless theyre infrequent cause heavy impedence on the system ... though theyre able to handle it otherwise it would be clearly noted "DO NOT TURN MACHINE OFF/ON EVERY SO OFTEN ETC ETC"

the technology is so advanced now, its safe to leave them running.
    you may benefit from just putting it into sleep mode then pressing a key to wake it up, generally gives the hardware and circuitry a flux power draw and doesnt stress it too much.

4. macrumors 6502a

I never turn mine off. It's been running 24/7 since I got it.

5. macrumors 6502

Because I have the Apple RAID card my MP won't sleep so I do turn it off if I am not going to be using it for more then a few hours.

6. macrumors G4

Damn RAID! Causes bugs rather than kills them. ;) :p

7. macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I only power it off if I'll be away from it for more than a day or two. Otherwise I just sleep it every night.

8. macrumors demi-goddess

costabunny

9. macrumors G4

You forgot?!? That's what happens when you don't use it. :D :p

10. macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I turn it off at night. I notice it works better after a reboot.

11. macrumors member

I used to just put it to sleep overnight, but I experienced some issues with OSX dumping the tablet driver on wake up, causing it to crash. I have regularly turned it off at night ever since.

12. macrumors 601

I turn it off when I leave for work at night. It seems I don't use it for much anyways other then seti@home and iTunes music and video storage.

13. macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

If it's going to be idle during the night I suspend (same when I go to work), it wakes up at 8am. It's only ever switched off if I need to move it, or if I'm going to be away for a few days.

Sometimes I have my Mac Pro running 24/7 for a few months at a time with high processor usage. Mostly doing batch video conversions.

14. macrumors 6502a

Off at night, I guess I don't want it accidentally waking at night, and waking me up at the same time.

15. macrumors regular

The off/on thing being bad/good really went away by the late 90's - before that you could make a case for the circuit cooling/heating thing was bad over time , but honestly I've probably been around over a hundred thousand workstations and servers ranging from Dell to IBM to crap whiteboxes between all our clients and it really makes no difference now

Some turn their machines off every night and theres really zero difference in fail rate than those who leave them on all 24/7 - its more of a power saving issue and personal preference nowadays , if you look at articles in the past several years most all will tell you its not going to make much of a difference as to being good/bad for your computer anymore

16. Guest

iGary

17. macrumors 65816

Darwin

Usually have it running all day, except when I go out for the day or when I go to sleep.

18. macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Turn mine off. When I put it to sleep I always come back to a woke up mac. It does not stay asleep. Too busy to troubleshoot.

19. macrumors 68030

gibbz

I often run a high-resolution weather model that can take 2 weeks - month to complete a run. So.... no turning off for me usually.

20. macrumors 68000

kgarner

What is this "off" you speak of. I haven't turned off a machine of mine in years. I just let it go to sleep and be done with it. I will turn them off if I am going to be gone for a few days but that is about the only time.

21. thread starter macrumors 6502a

its a shame that can works the modem connection and put sleep... you know for put sleep in night and let torrents downloading...

22. macrumors 6502a

I find it really shocking that so many people don't turn their machines off. What a waste of electricity. The Mac Pro uses at least 200 watts just sitting there idle. Would you leave a 200 watt light bulb on 24 / 7 for no reason? That just doesn't make good sense.

I've got my set to sleep at 15 minutes, and I always sleep it manually if I'm going to step away for a while.

23. macrumors regular

I only turn mine off when I reboot for updates, does that count? :D

24. macrumors 68000

It's not like energy is expensive or anything.

25. macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I restart it after patching, otherwise it's on all the time!
    Similarly the MBP is always on too!