Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OZMP

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2008
runs rather averagly if i dont shut down or restart daily... think its coz i play WOW tho

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
hi, simple poll... I turn off my mac pro every night... wake up every morning, if I let always turn on can be get some problem? basically the questions is how much time is recommendable use the mac pro without turn off? :confused:

thanks

We shutdown and turn off all the Macs (MacPro, MBP) and PCs (except the server and the backup NAS drive) unless they are being used.

Cheers,

monkey86

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
London
i turn mine off every night, like the fresh system in the morning :)

although - os x is based on linux which was designed for servers to run constantly - so running it all the time should have no adverse effects!

D3LM3L

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Detroit
I never shut mine down unless I'm going away for an extended period of time. Otherwise, I just put it to sleep or reboot for updates.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I find it really shocking that so many people don't turn their machines off. What a waste of electricity. The Mac Pro uses at least 200 watts just sitting there idle. Would you leave a 200 watt light bulb on 24 / 7 for no reason? That just doesn't make good sense.

I've got my set to sleep at 15 minutes, and I always sleep it manually if I'm going to step away for a while.

You do realise it uses a tiny amount of electricity when it is sleeping don't you?

TheThirdMan

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
London, UK
You do realise it uses a tiny amount of electricity when it is sleeping don't you?

A tiny amount over a long time is a large amount. I can't believe how many people leave it on! It's just good habit to turn off a computer when you're not using it. How big are your energy bills?

phrac

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2004
A tiny amount over a long time is a large amount. I can't believe how many people leave it on! It's just good habit to turn off a computer when you're not using it. How big are your energy bills?

Its not that expensive:

Roughly 230 watts to stay awake:
230 watt hours x 24 hours = 5520 watt hours per day
5520 x 30 days = 165,600 watt hours per month
165,600 / 1000 = 165.6 kilowatt hours per month
My average price is about $0.07 per kilowatt hour from my electric provider

165.6 x $0.07 = $11.60 per month roughly to leave it on.

Not really that bad considering my MP is usually up to something whilst I'm away (downloads, encoding, etc)

Lord Zedd

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I run my G5 24/7. I only restart when app installers or software update requires it.

It downloads torrents all day/night (250GB in the last 20 days) so it has to be on. I do set CPU performance to "reduced" when I am away. Setting it to "automatic" caused software crashes.

The longest I had it on without a restart was 4 months until the 10.5.4 update was released.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
i turn mine off unless i'm doing something with it that takes a long time... (convert videos, et.)

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I'd love to leave mine on because it's often busy doing stuff, but it's in my bedroom and it makes the room too hot if I keep it running! Gives you an idea of how much power it consumes by how much heat it give off. Of course, it might be because I have 4 drives and 6gb of ram... but still! In the wintertime, I don't need to have heat on in my bedroom because my MacPro keeps it nice and toasty. In the summer, I have to sleep or turn it off unless I run the AC to keep the room cool.

I read somewhere from a reliable resource that turning your computer on and off causes the circuits to expand and contract, which in turn, wears them out quicker. I also heard/read that hard drives last longer if you keep them spinning at a constant temperature. Not sure how true that is... makes more sense to me to turn everything off to save wear and tear if your going to be away from your computer for more than 12 hours. Those 12 hours of non-use really starts to add up over the long haul and could really save on energy costs and your computer wearing out early.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
apart from the fact i couldn't understand a word the OP said, I'm shocked at the number of people who leave their computer on all the time.

Aside from the cost of electricity (which judging from the average age of forumites these days, mummy and daddy pay for) there is the constant wear on your HDDs, fans, PSU, Graphics card fans etc. All of that is getting unnecessarily worn out from leaving them running 24/7. Why shorten the life of it?

Also don't you start with a clean slate when you reboot? The RAM empties etc. If you never restart you must have badly fragmented drives too

Chilz0r

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
mine usually runs 24/7, doesnt effect energy consumption much either way.
I believe the PSU is capable of handling the long usage, i mean the system is practically server grade' meaning always on mode - and its more than capable of handling that.

the fact that it draws more energy on every power on and cold boots, unless theyre infrequent cause heavy impedence on the system ... though theyre able to handle it otherwise it would be clearly noted "DO NOT TURN MACHINE OFF/ON EVERY SO OFTEN ETC ETC"

the technology is so advanced now, its safe to leave them running.
you may benefit from just putting it into sleep mode then pressing a key to wake it up, generally gives the hardware and circuitry a flux power draw and doesnt stress it too much.

If the technology is so advanced, then why can't you turn it off every so often. What your saying doesn't really make any sense?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本

Technically speaking, I could leave all the equipment on! My air conditioner is on constantly from experience that uses the most amounts of electricity, controlling the environment keeping it lovely and cosy around 26-27°C ... My fuel bills are constant written in the contract, works out to be about £25 a month (in your currency) for gas, water, electric and building maintenance. Even if i go away for months I still have to pay the same amount!! :rolleyes:

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
laptops i can understand putting to sleep, but desktops i don't see the point.

My MP takes about 30 seconds to boot, probably less in fact so it's not like you're saving any time.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I generally keep mine running. i just dont see a reason to shut it off everytime i dont use it.
My energy bill isn't really affected as i have barely a few things plugged in and ever used at once or at all.

I leave IM's up and projects rendering as well as downloads and uploads consistently going so to me, its more of a gotta be available 24/7

I just dont really have an issue with it, to each their own.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
but how much power is used when asleep? only the RAM is powered. you could also use hibernation which uses no power at all (i think) and it resumes quicker than a boot.

They are supposed to use less than 10W when sleeping. From an individuals perspective the difference between this and being off for 8 hours a day is maybe like $5 a year cost. A bigger difference between idling and sleep though where you are looking at about $65 a year @ 15 cents per KWh. Of course the enviromental issues aren't about single users, they are about everyone doing such things.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
They are supposed to use less than 10W when sleeping. From an individuals perspective the difference between this and being off for 8 hours a day is maybe like $5 a year cost. A bigger difference between idling and sleep though where you are looking at about $65 a year @ 15 cents per KWh. Of course the enviromental issues aren't about single users, they are about everyone doing such things.

interesting thanks. sounds about right. where did you get the numbers? was it just a guesstimate?

well you cant get everyone to do this but i think an idividual's effort is better than nothing.

how about this? what if webservers had one section of servers for the northern hemisphere and another for the southern hemisphere and both would be at full power during the day but during the night they could shut down a few servers to save energy. would this even work or save any energy?

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
I try to keep my mac pro on as much as possible. I will put her to sleep over night, or when I when I will be away from her for 30 minutes or more.

She does get a reboot every few days when I need to boot into different OS.

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
Turning on and off any electronic device is not a good idea. The inrush of current that charges capacitors and energizes inductors does shorten the life of components. This is a fact, not a hypothesis. I always put my MP to sleep after 10 min of inactivity using energy saver. Yes, the hard drives spinning up after sleep do get the same inrush of current. Their MTBF (mean time between failure) is so high, at least 50 000 hours, that they should last at least 5 years. I'd rather sacrifice hard drives than the motherboard of my MP. The only time I shut off my MP, monitor, or printer is during the threat of an electrical storm. Lightning strikes that can and do get into the house electrical distribution system are MUCH nastier than any on-off surges. The POCO's (power company) inability to regulate lightning and transformer overload surges almost guarantees electronics damage in the event of a close power line lightning strike. The main disconnect in your electrical panel can never react fast enough to limit the effect of an overcurrent surge. Whole house surge protectors sound nice, but also are not very effective. The safest thing you can do during an electrical storm is to unplug any electronic device that is of high value. You generally don't have to worry about non-electronic devices like motors (fridge, dryer, A/C, freezer) or heaters. If they have mechanical switches and timers rather than electronic they can take surges that would destroy electronics. BTW, I am a high school electronics instructor and electrician with lots of training and experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.