Your 14" G4 iBook! Help!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by john111, Feb 5, 2004.

1. john111 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about getting a 14" G4 iBook. Is there any third p[arty adapter that would let me hook up my 20" Cinema Display to it? Thanks for any answers!

Also, how many of you have 14" iBooks? What do you think about them? If you have the RAM maxed out, does it make for a good computer (if it were to be your only one)?

Thanks!

2. laserbeahm macrumors member

I have the 14" iBook and it is really nice. I have it equipped with an AirPort card and an extra 128 MB of RAM. That's really all I needed for what I do. The difference in screen size between the 12" and 14" models is huge. The 14" screen is actually quite impressive. I'm glad that I went with the bigger screen.

I'm not sure, but I think you can hook up a 20" Apple display with one of the connectors.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Found this VGA-to-DVI adapter, but it seems prohibitively expensive. Perhaps you should consider a 12" PB if you already have an Apple display.

4. Dogdog macrumors newbie

I have the 14" ibook, and though lots of people on here seem to diss it for the bigger screen/same resolution, I honestly don't see much of a difference...and if you're into watching DVDs, the bigger screen is a must. True, for 100 more I could have got the 12" PB, but for me the bigger screen makes a world of difference, and with the extra cash I put an Airport card in! I love this little machine.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, considering that the adapter I posted a link to costs about $800, you might as well drop that on a 15" PB and get the best of both worlds, and a much better screen resolution as well. And if this guy's already got a 20" Cinema Display that he'd like to use, it would seem silly to buy a 14"iBook and then pay $800 to get the VGA-to-DVI adapter and still have to shell out another $100 for the DVI-to-ADC adapter. Might as well get the 15" PB, or if you don't want to spend all that money, just get the 12"PB that has a mini-DVI out.

6. freeflydrew macrumors member

the g4 ibook only supports video mirroring, so the pic quality on a big screen probably won't be too great... I would upgrade to the PB and extend the desktop.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well I haven't tried it yet, but I doubt the picture on a big screen would be any less quality wise, although I don't know for sure if the iBook video card supports anything more than 1024x768. And apparently it will support both mirroring and monitor spanning if you apply a software 'hack' to counter Apple's disabling of the video cards natural spanning ability.

FWIW, my PB (native screen resolution 1280x854) will drive the 23" CD at 1920x1200. I don't know if the new iBooks can drive a monitor at a higher resolution than their built in screen, but my PB can.

8. john111 thread starter macrumors newbie

<<<And apparently it will support both mirroring and monitor spanning if you apply a software 'hack' to counter Apple's disabling of the video cards natural spanning ability.>>>>

Where do you find this hack? Is it safe?