Your 2003 Top 10 Movie List

Discussion in 'Community' started by Awimoway, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    I heard a movie critic doing this on NPR and it got me thinking what my top 10 list would be.

1. American Splendor
    2. Lost in Translation
    3. Whale Rider
    4. Angels in America
    5. 28 Days Later
    6. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
    7. Kill Bill Vol. 1
    8. Matrix: Reloaded
    9. LOTR: ROTK
    10. A Mighty Wind

I'm probably forgetting something from early in the year, so I reserve the right to edit my list if I think of anything I've missed, but what did everyone else like?
  2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Yeah, I also heard that movie critic on NPR. I saw Wale Rider, that was a great movie.
  3. mc68k macrumors 68000

Apr 16, 2002
    these are the movies i saw this year with respecive ratings ouut of 10. this is copied from my imdb list:

American Wedding (2003) 5
    Bruce Almighty (2003) 5
    Finding Nemo (2003) 8
    Hunted, The (2003) 3
    Italian Job, The (2003) 5
    Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003) 6
    Last Samurai, The (2003) 9
    Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The (2003) 10
    Matrix Reloaded, The (2003) 3
    Old School (2003) 2
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) 6
    X2 (2003) 6

i would like to see master and commander and/or cold mountain this winter break
  4. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    1) The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
    2) Elephant
    3) Angels In America
    4) Kill Bill, Vol. 1
    5) 21 Grams
    6) House of Sand and Fog
    7) Finding Nemo
    8) Pirates of the Caribbean
    9) Lost In Translation
    10) Big Fish

I know, I know, Angels In America was a television movie, but nonetheless... it was incredible. And also, to be fair, there are three movies I haven't seen that I suspect would be on this list or close to it: Cold Mountain, Monster, & Mystic River. Maybe I'll revise the list when I've seen them. But in any case, there it is.
  5. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    Angels in America was outstanding. And you reminded me of one: Kill Bill. Have to go edit my list now.
  6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    Imo it hasn't been a great year for movies
    ... good action movies but not much else and i was liked the matrix movies but they weren't as good as they could have been
  7. bryanc macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2003
    Fredericton, NB Canada
    The only movies I've had time to see this year have been:

Finding Nemo - pretty good, worth renting. Entertaining. 7/10

Pirates of the Caribbean - disappointing...I wish they'd worked harder on the screen play. Adequate. 5/10

Return of the King - bloody awsome! Not quite perfect, but as good or better than any film I've ever seen. 9.999/10
  8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    [sarcasm] Legally Blonde 2 [/sarcasm]

Worst film EVAR!
  9. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

May 17, 2003
    Boston MA
    The following is my current top 20 of 2003. The rankings somethinmes fluctuate. Of course, there are many films I have yet to see.

1. Irreversible
    2. 21 Grams
    3. A Mighty Wind
    4. May
    5. Lost in Translation
    6. Morvern Callar
    7. Swimming Pool
    8. House of Sand and Fog
    9. Elephant
    10. Millenium Actress
    11. The Return of the King
    12. Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary
    13. Kill Bill Vol. 1
    14. Owning Mahowny
    15. 28 Days Later
    16. Party Monster
    17. Paycheck
    18. Identity
    19. Spun
    20. Die, Mommie, Die!
  10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    you, my friend, are a damned fool, a damned fool!

wow. a damned fool....
  11. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I agree with "The Return Of the King." From what I have heard "Cold Mountain" should also be added.
  12. voicegy macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Oh, this is easy:

1. Kill Bill, Vol. 1
    2. 21 Grams (hard to makes "Dancer In The Dark" look like the Sound of Music...but fantastic, if you can handle the subject matter)
    3. Terminator 3
    4. LOTR:ROTK
    5. Big Fish
    6. Lost in Translation
    7. Master and Commander
    8. American Splendor
    9. Seabiscuit
    10. The Cooler

Honorable Mention: Monster (Oscar time for Charlize Theron? You bet!)
  13. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2003
    Here is my list of movies I attended in theaters:
    1. Return of the King (5)
    2. Kill Bill Volume 1 (4.5)
    3. Pirates of the Carrabien (4.5)
    4. The Matrix Reloaded (4)
    5. X-Men 2 (4)
    6. Finding Nemo (4)
    7. Terminator 3 (4)
    8. The Matrix Revolutions (3.5)
    9. Bruce Almighty (3.5)
    10. The Italian Job (3.5)
    11. American Wedding (3.5)
    12. Charlie's Angles 2 (3.5)
    13. Anger management (3)
    14. Willard (3)
    15. Legally Blonde 2 (3)
    16. S.W.A.T (2.5)
    17. The Recruit (2.5)

I plan of seeing cold mountain, house of sand and fog, 21 grams, thirteen, lost in translation, monster, Elf, Big Fish, Peter Pan, the last samurai, and master and commander durring my last few days of 'vacation'.

Films I'm looking foward to in 2004:
    1. Shrek 2
    2. Spiderman 2
    3. Kill Bill: Volume 2
    4. Envy
    5. The Incredibles
    6. The Passion of the Christ
    7. Hidalgo
    8. Jersey Girl
    9. New York Minute
    9. Troy
    10. Harry Potter and the Prisioner of Azkaban
    11. Around the World in 80 days
    12. Garfield
    13. King Arthur
    14. A Cinderella Story
    15. I, Robot
    16. The Bourne Supremacy
    17. Catwomen
    18. Alexander
    19. The Polar Express
    20. The Ring 2
    21. SpongeBob SquarePants
    22. Ocean's Twelve
    23. Cinderella Man
    24. Phantom of the Opera
    25. Meet the Fockers

I really can't wait for 2005 though!

Happy New Year ya'll

14. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Top Ten Movies Of 2003...

10. Hollywood Homicide (*** 1/2)
    09. American Wedding (*** 1/2)
    08. Tears of the Sun (****)
    07. Scary Movie 3 (****)
    06. Paycheck (****)
    05. Bruce Almighty (****)
    04. LOTR:3 (**** 1/2) [Will be better as 6 hour Special Edition]
    03. Matrix Reloaded (*****)
    02. Matrix Revolutions (*****)
    01. Open Range (*****)

15. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    That was a great movie. Dammit, now I have to go back and edit my list. Can't believe I forgot it.
  16. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    Ditto Passion of Christ. Despite all the odd naysaying, I think it's going to be outstanding. Judging by the rest of your list (as a way of gauging your taste), I'm a little surprised The Day after Tomorrow isn't on it. That's at the top of my anticipated list.
  17. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I looking forward to the "Passion Of Christ" also, beside "Harry Potter" & "Star Wars II"
  18. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    last samurai...4 stars
    legally blond 2...2 stars
    tears of the sun...1 star
    the hunted...2 stars
    seabiscuit...4 stars
    tomb raider II...3 stars
    the hours...3 stars
    about schmidt...2 stars
    punch drunk love...3 stars
    i am sam...3 stars

i believe these ten movies were released in 2003 or possibly late 2002 but these are the most recent movies i have seen in the cinema or on video or dvd

and i saw the band of brothers with extras on dvd...4 stars

otherwise, i didn't see stuff released in 2003 but mostly rentals from movies made before or even classiscs

i think this year will be tom cruise's year for the oscar
  19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    As a father of two teenagers, my movie choices usually come down to the latest movie based on a comic book. Sometimes that's ok. Daredevil wasn't horrible. At least Jennifer Garner was very nice to look at. Here is my round up of the few good to ok movies I saw this year.

1- Modern Times I know this is cheating but the recent release of this great Chaplin classic in a digital remastered, 35 mm format is wonderful. If you haven't seen it in a theater then run to the next showing.

2 - Lord of the Rings: Return of the King I've been a huge fan of the books since I was a teenager myself and this version was excellent, even if I have a few nitpicks.

3 - Finding Nemo best animated flick of the year and the best one in quite a few years.

4 - Seabiscuit - a very, very good flick. Great choice by Toby McGuire.

5 - Love Actually - not great cinema, but fun. I can't believe they gave it a "R" rating. A feel good kind of movie.

6 - Pirates of the Caribbean only on my list because I went expecting a horrible movie and found an ok one. Depp gives a great campy, over the top performance.

I've already said what I think of Daredevil and most of the rest (including both of the Matrix movies) should be on the 10 worst list.
  20. voicegy macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Cheating, maybe...but you're right. I'm SO glad I caught this a few nights ago...what a piece of work!!
  21. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    Having read the book, I really hated Seabiscuit the movie. Awful adaptation, IMO. But rare are the times when adaptations are as good or better than the book, so I wasn't especially surprised or disappointed.
  22. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    Your guess is right, I didn't read the book so I liked the movie quite a lot. My experience is the same, it is very rare when a movie does justice to a good book. By the way I just finished my and my kids traditional New Year's viewing of my favorite movie Casablanca - Happy New Year to all and to every movie fan out there "here's looking at you, kid." ;)
  23. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    In college I studied with a philosphy professor who was finishing up a second PhD in film theory. He was writing his thesis/a book that talked about the collaborative nature of filmmaking--every one must bend and compromise their vision, their version of the story, to make the project work. His contention was that novelists are left out of this collaborative loop. They rarely if ever write in such a way that their books can be easily transposed into great films. Most novels these days are rife with internal monologue, long rambling passages of exposition that would be terrible for film, etc. But if they wrote their novels for film, then you would have a great novel that stands by itself, and if it is made into film, it will be so much better than a lot of original films and a lot of adaptations.

(Anyway his book goes on to show writers how they can write novels that better translate into film, and also argues pretty powerfully for why that kind of novel writing is better from a purely literary standpoint. As an aspiring writer, I was actually more influenced by the latter set of arguments because I try to be a realist and the chance that anything I write would ever be made a film are, well, pretty slim.)
  24. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Pardon the long post in advance, I provided feedback.

These aren't even my top ten, but these are the 2003 movies I remember seeing in the year. (Since I don't follow movies much anymore, I only have my top 5.)

(5/5 = best, -5/5 = worst)

Homeless To Harvard = 4/5. The Liz Murray Story. My number one is not an action film, it is a visual demonstration of reality, just as it is. It is the only movie that I have seen (ever) that not only shows internal determination, but shows an individual's personal experiences, views of reality, and the changes of these views, directly to the viewer in an enlightening manner. (Some details in the movie came a bit quickly; they could have been spaced out a little more to let the viewer take in the details, as well as increase the dramatic nature of these details.)

Finding Nemo = 3/5. Well animated movie, solid graphics and sound. Needed a bit more comedy and a better full circle effect.

The Towering Inferno (DVD) = 3/5. The DVD came out April 15, 2003, and I think it was worth the wait. And I like the old-fashioned 60s/70s movie explosions so much.

Terminator 3 = 2/5. That movie was just too sad to beat out T2. Speedy plot, so very little of the movie dragged you to watch it. Some of spinoffs of T2 (such as the glasses) were "out there" and are worth seeing for the first watch of the movie. Oh, and after hearing Nick Stahl's drag, emotionless and effortless voice for the first time in a movie, quite a bit of the movie pissed me off. (In a final rating comparison, T3 gets about 3/5, but the specific aspects of the movie are quite different.)

The Core (sue me!!!) = 2/5. Fairly nice graphics and plot, as well as the dramatic scenes in Rome and L.A., but I had to watch the film more than once to understand the plot. (You think the producers could turn down the volume just a little more so you missed out on many of the important details...that pissed me off.)
  25. zuffen macrumors member

Nov 16, 2001
    cold mountain

Saw it last nite (12/31) and it was ok, not great.

Too many meanderings of the story line and unreal situations. My wife's cousin's husband is in the Alamo due in March and he is also a daniel boone era re-enactor and was claiming how the movie was historically spot on. I beg to differ with him on several points.

If your expecting a love story there really isn't much of one in my opinion, plenty of action first on and points of tention till the end

Odd thing is that I hear all this buzz about Nicole Kidman going for the Oscar on this, Renee Zellweger does the best acting out of all the characters in the film, I think she deserves a best supporting nomination.

On another note, I have a top 20 list and may be adding Fight Club to it.

For some reason I just never found any interest in seeing the film in first run and as rental, I guess the trailers turned me off as well as brad pitt.

But a co-worker loaned it to me a few weeks back, I was very surprised after the first viewing and plan to watch it again soon to see if I'm still impressed.