Your 5G iPod battery not lasting 20hrs too?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MacTruck, Nov 18, 2005.

1. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Gave it a full charge then turned it on to play music, died in 7hrs. Anybody else having this problem.

5G 60gb video white.

2. Konradx macrumors 6502

Konradx

60gb like in my previous post.. arond 6 hours of play and dead. I charged it sunday night..and i listen to it around 2 hours a day the rest of the time its off. It died on wednesday. i DONT use the backlight ever, dont use EQ or anything else to increase drainage. Just play music.

3. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Yeah, I like how they discount the battery by saying that eq, screen, shuffle all use more battery. But 13hrs worth? Comon. I'm sorry but if something like shuffle uses 13hrs battery than apple can't really state a 20hr battery life. Going to return it today. Maybe I'll get a black one this time.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Don't forget your iPod still uses juice even though it is "off", I like to call it sleep like our Macs. iPods won't fully shut off until 48 hours of non use. That might explain some of the shorter battery life. I bet if you left it running until it died, with no skipping songs and no back light, you will get a lot closer to the 20 hour mark.

5. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I think this is true, but it is no less deceptive when marketed as a "20 hour battery." My 3G was marketed with 8 hour battery life, and it did get 8 hours if you ran it till it died with no skipping songs,but who actually uses it like that? What good is it to have all your music if you cant skip around? My promised 8 hours was originally 5; I think now its more like 3.5. I know all marketing has a bit of puffery; but marketing 20 and producing 7 doesn't cut it.

6. Konradx macrumors 6502

Konradx

Are you trying to tell me that when my ipod was OFF during the 3 days i drained 14 HOURS of battery...buddy what are you smoking

yes it uses a bit of juice but not nearly anything compared it running.

7. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

I thought it was after 36hrs that it actually turned off..... but I have a 3rd Gen. and that is probably what I read.

You must have a defective battery or are doing something that is really draining the battery. I have been trying to decide what to replace my 3rd Gen with since I think its RAM batt is gone. The date keeps reseting to Feb 2099 and its getting annoying. Although I just (finally) updated the software to ver. 2.3 (for Dock Connector[3rd Gen.]) the update might be causing this. Although I doubt that since the update has been out since like June 04 or before. I might just have to go with a 30GB...

8. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Not me. 5G 60GB white also. I've not timed it but it feels like close to the 20hrs. I also got close to the 3hrs playing movies - again I didn't time it but I watched a full movie plus a bunch of music vids before it went red.

9. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Thats Exactly what I did. Turned it on and walked away checking every half hour. Lasted 7 hrs.

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Then you have a bad battery.

11. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Well took it back tonight and got the 60gb black instead. Guy just gave it to me and took mine, no name, paperwork or anything. I was pleased. Walked out of the store in the mall, found a seat and sat down. Opened up the ipod and turned it on. LOW AND BEHOLD, 4 dead pixels in the screen. I walked right back in and told one of the workers and he says " No its just the screen cover." I told him that I peeled it back to verify so he rips the cover film off. Now I was going to keep the film on for protection. Then he wipes it with his thumb. Oooohh, THEN he wipes it with his SHIRT! Now the screen has scratches on top of bad pixels. I take if from the MORON and go speak with the manager. She says, glad you came back as we have to charge you a restocking fee.

WHAT?

I tell her basically no. You are going to return this second one for another black 60gb and I am not going to pay. Standoff... she says ok. Gives me another one and I am on my way.

I open it up again right inside near an imac this time and its PERFECT. I go home and slap some packaging tape on the back, and put the new ipod in my new Speck Toughskin and it looks AWESOME. Its like a Tactical G-Shock Night Force ipod.

Lovin it.

12. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

yea i have a black 30GB and i forgot exactly how much they advertise for battery life on mine but i remember reading it and then testing it. and surely it did last as advertised.....

but just sitting on my desk, NOT skipping ANY songs and no backlight.

im sure a lot of people use their iPod's like that :rolleyes:

13. Konradx macrumors 6502

Konradx

test your new battery..and i got a ingraved ipod can i still exchange it?

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Doubtful.

15. Baked macrumors newbie

You're totally anal about scratches, yet you put packaging tape on the back of the iPod. Wow. GG.

16. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Anal? You like scratches? What is your point? Packaging tape protects it just like any other screen protector.

17. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have a 60 gig.
    I get at least 3 hours of video. I can watch 4 commercial free TV shows that average 44 minutes each before the batt dies on me.

As for music, I can fly from LAX to LGA (about 5.5 hours) and back again and still have some juice left.

I manage my playlists on my Mac so I do not skip a lot of songs or change EQ settings. I use the hold slider to keep misc. buttons from being depressed accidentally.

Compared to my previous gen 3 iPod, this one has amazing battery life. But I would say its safe to say I am getting what they advertise for video, and for audio, I am getting a minimum of 13 to 15 hours before I choose to recharge.

18. electronboy macrumors 6502

Apple is becomming the evil that we all dreaded in M$.

1. False advertising. They knew that 20 hours of battery life was a complete lie!

2. Materials. I believe that they have chosen materials that scratch easier for the nano and other iPods to create sales of all this protective gear. There are a whole plethora of options for protective finishes that are highly scratch resistant and Apple has chose NOT to use them and still charge premium prices for iPods.

3. Quality Control. How could an iPod with 4 dead pixels pass QC? We recently purchased a PowerMac G5 with the now discontinued Radeon XT 850 and the card is an utter disaster. Final Cut Studio freaks out when working with video on occassion and pixelates the entire screen. PowerMac G5 Single freezes, fan issues and overheating on the iMac G5, etc., etc. I can't imagine the QC getting better any time soon.

19. MacTruck thread starter macrumors 65816

MacTruck

For real. Check this out:

This Quad G5 Should never have left the factory!