Your advice please, external DVD burner, is La CIE ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by igmolinav, Apr 17, 2006.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2005

I wanted to ask you for your advice as I am about to buy an external DVD burner for my laptop. With regard to that I have the following questions:

1) I look for a DVD burner with the following characteristics: I want it to be fast, double layer. I am not so excited about the lightscribe thing, but if compared to the price of other DVD burners then I´ll get it.
    What would be your top choice/recommendation for someone like myself who wants to buy an external DVD burner for a Mac ??

2) I saw many La CIE DVD external burners in the following links.
    Why or why not you would choose the brand & model that you have recommended me over the La CIE ??

Link 1:

Link 2:

Link 3:

3) Is it worth it buying an external DVD burner if I´ll be burning between 3-4 DVDs a week ???

Thank you very much,

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    I have the LaCie DL external DVD burner and I love it
    It is less moody with the various brands of DVD media than other burners.
    If you have one brand of media you constantly use its not a problem but I go between 6-7 brands and DVD-R or DVD+R formats...but does not like fujifilm 16X DVD-R discs...
    a friend of mine swears by the Pioneer drives , they work well, but moody with no-name brand media, still works but a slow speed
    the NEC drives are pretty good too.

The LaCie Drive is the best, and you pay for that.
    I have yet to have a badly burned disc from it.

Edit: Plextor drives are good too , I was going to get one but the LaCie one came out that week...
  3. cuts macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2006
    i don't like la cie...

personally, i've had bad experience with la cie. paid $190au for a dl dvd drive, and it crapped out after just 14 months, having very little use in that time. at the most i burnt 10 dvd's with it. when i spoke to la cie customer "support", thier response was that the drive was broken. like i didn't already know that. a lot of people have had good luck with la cie, but way more people have had bad luck with them. go with the odds and invest in another brand.