Your AP scores

Discussion in 'Community' started by P-Worm, Jul 15, 2003.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I got my AP scores back and couldn't be happier. In Chemestry I got a 4, on the Calculus BC I got a 5, on the Physics C Mech + E&M I got a 5x5. What did you guys get on these. If you took the test, you've earned the bragging rights.

P-Worm

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

did you call or did you get it in the mail? I"m hopign mine come soon :)

3. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I got them in the mail yesterday, so yours should be coming soon. I understand you tooke the Calculus also? How do you think you did?

P-Worm

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what is an ap score?

is it like the sat test?

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha! Showing your age there jef.....

I didn't take AP tests either, just SAT, but they're basically set up to get you college credit/skip the intro classes (I think ;) )

D

6. iGav macrumors G3

I never finished or passed my BTEC National Diploma In Graphic Design, (College Qualification) :eek: :eek: :eek:

So in essence I got into University to do my BA (Hons) Degree in Design with nothing but GCSE's (High School Qualifications)... even child prodigy's can't get away with that!!

heh-heh-heh!!

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hey, that's cool...and it makes sense

my first two years of college were little more than a rehash of high school...of course, it was a little harder, but not really that much

i say make college a three year deal, with one year of general ed review and the following two years as the upper division study of the major

but, on the other hand, require all master's degrees to have a thesis...actually the only major master's degree that does not require it is the mba degree and that explains why they are a dime a dozen...if one had to actually write a life's work to earn that master's degree, then maybe the degree would be worth something more

also with this recession and rising college costs, fewer people will be able to afford college so the state should funnel some of their education monies into one and two year trade schools

the trades have paid more than the professions in most cases in recessionary times so that would be a good idea, too

i think i solved the education issues for the day in ten minutes:p

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

like mr a said, i am showing my age

what is a btec? or gcse?

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

at the time i took ap tests my high school (catholic) only had 3 ap classes... maybe 4

i took 3

english (5)
    calculus ab (4)
    physics (3)

i hate physics

now, i'm an artiste who doesn't know his integers from his derivatives.

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

5 for me (1 Junior year, 4 Senior year):

Calculus - 3
    US History - 3
    US Government - 3 or 4
    French - 4
    English - 4

So there...:p

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Showing my age? I just turned 23 and I STILL don't know what you're all talking about. I'm Canadian (yay!!).

GCSE............that's from the British school system. You take 3 years of courses from when you're 13-16 to get a diploma, but you take 2 years of courses from 17-18 if you intend on going to University. These are called your " 'A' levels".

I'm sure it's different in the US. :(

AP?? All I know is the SAT.

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

AP stands for Advanced Placement.

It gives you the opportunity to take harder classes (think Honors) and then take an exam for college credit. Usually a 3 is the baseline for receiving credit, although some universities require 4s.

So, with my collection of 3s and 4s, I had almost 30 units (1 year) of undergraduate college credit taken care of. :D

13. MarksEvilTwin macrumors regular

14. iGav macrumors G3

it's an English thing...

G.C.S.E's (General Certificate Secondary Education) are the qualifications you gain here in Secondary School/High School when you're 16.

These allow you (depending on results) to go to College and study a specific course, such as Graphic Design or go on to A Levels.

BTEC (Business Training and Education Council) was the qualification I would have earned at College, had I been bothered to finish it, generally BTEC's are a more 'Technical' Qualification, for Design, engineering etc etc, takes 2 years.

Once you get either A Levels, BTEC or some other form of further education qualification, you can then apply for Degree courses at University.

So essentially I got into University to do a degree with little more than my High School qualifications!! (even though I obviously had the 2 years design experience from my BTEC that I never finished!!)

15. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what's that? he he

i am learning a lot here

hey, your avatar is the proper g5 while mine is a motorola g5;)

17. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

I snuck in with a three on the English Language test, so I was content with that, seeing as I didn't believe I'd even pass.

After my senior year I'll be taking the English Literature test, the Calculus AB test, the Spanish Language test, the German Language test, and/or the Chemistry test, depending on the scheduling of the exams.

Since English has never been my strong point, I should do better on the other tests.

18. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Wow, Spanish and German. I was always terrible with languages (Never took the English one ;) ), but last year I got a 3 in American History and a 5 on the Physics B.

To clear up the Euro thing, he mean European History. Never took that one either, Amercian was plenty hard for me.
    :eek:

P-Worm

19. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

When I took my APs, I got a 5 on US History and a 4 in Physics C Mech junior year, then senior year I got a 4 in english lit, a 5 in Bio and a 3 in Statistics (I knew AP stats was way to easy of a class...i got A's by sitting around in class playing tetris on my calculator)...so I started my college career with 4 credits (I'm on trimesters, so every class you take here is worth one credit, as were all my APs. I didn't get credit for stats, but i may take the placement test for it if i decide to take a stats course). Thats like a free trimester of college right there!

20. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Euro.....:)

Yeah, after the first week all the kids stopped calling it European History and just said Euro. It was easier.

21. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Here are my scores:

U.S. History - 5
    European History - 5
    U.S. Government - 4
    Comparative Government - 4
    English Literature - 4
    Microeconomics - 4
    Macroeconomics - 4
    Calculus AB - 3

I took classes for AP Chemistry and Art History but decided not to take the tests.

22. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

23. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

I'm taking French as well, but I won't be at an AP level (only three years) after my senior year. Besides, I've taken French completely on my own (next year will be my first year in a classroom) and I doubt my skill in French.

German is going to be tough, because my teachers, simply, have sucked. The first two years moved slowly enough, but last year saw the progress of only four chapters in a twelve chapter book. Therefore, I undertook aggressive studying of German outside the classroom (and inside, seeing as we were doing nothing), but I still do not see myself as proficient by any means.

Spanish is the one subject I feel comfortable in, thanks to an excellent teaching staff that allowed me to not only skip a year, but also take time after school to help bridge the gaps of the year I skipped.

EDIT: By the way, what's the extent of the Calculus AB test? I've been reading a calculus book to keep refreshed on the calculus subject all summer, and I've got another, more advanced book after that, this before going into the second year of AP study at my high school. I'd really like a score higher than a three, and was just curious.

24. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

The AB course isn't bad at all I'm sure (I took the BC). Just get the concepts doen and why you are supposed to care about it. Calculus isn't just about playing with numbers. ;)

P-Worm

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

To me AP means anatomy & physiology, that was my first impression. I don't think that it is showing Jef's age, he was going by his impression!