Your arm of your life!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Leo Hubbard, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

http://zdnet.com.com/2102-1103_2-5319869.html?tag=printthis

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Yay! Now the authorities can ALWAYS know where you are! What a great tool for a power hungry corrupt government! :rolleyes:

3. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Suddenly I realized, something about this sounds vaguely like how the Nazis treated the Jews in WWII.

It's one thing to talk about putting RFIDs on merchandise to help with inventory counting, and even in your family pet so that if Spot runs away they humane society will be able to get him back home. But NOT in humans. Period.

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Today we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the information purification!!
    You know where I am going with this;)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Whoa, 11-millimetres = 1.1 cm.......that's quite a big chip to shove into the fat of a tricep. If you don't have a lot of fat there, it may look a bit weird. :confused:

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    You should hear some of the things that right wing christian groups say about such things. Its the Mark of the Beast. I agree with Heinlein when he said that when the government started handing out numbers to people its time to leave the planet

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its a passive RF tag, and as such, no easy way to turn it off. What you need to do is make one that you can, so it gives you the security that makes this less worrisome.

Although, I know you could wear something to block the signal if you needed to.....

D

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yikes... come on what is next ? a chip in your body instead of a passport?

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

at first it makes identity theft seem a lot more difficult - however, if you could copy the info and put it on someone else and they used it in a situation that didn't require photo id, it will be easier to get away with.

I think something along the lines of what was in Minority Report would work better. You already have a unique identifier in your retinal pattern. Or even from Gattica (hate using movies as reference) where they do a quick genetic test on a blood prick.

D

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

There was a movie about this a while back...I think it's called the Chamber, which is basically a high security underground prision. All the prisioners we forced to swallow these metal bearings for identification and for violation purposes. ... I seriously doubt we'll see that becoming popular anytime soon.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i guess we all have watched such a movie at least once ;)

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Too bad that movie was entirely about getting around that system :D