Your backup habits?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lieb39, Mar 7, 2007.

1. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Hello everyone,

I need to establish a backup system for my Macbook.. only thing is that I have a 100GB External drive by my internal drive is 120GB, so a direct 1:1 isn't an option. I have Superduper! URL so I've got the software - I just need to figure out what to backup & how often.

Suggestions? What's everyones backup system here?

Cheers,

lieb39

2. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

The 100 GB Drive should be fine as long as you have less than 100 GB on your Macbook.

My backup habits? What habits. :eek: Once Time Machine gets here, I'll surely back up, though.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I backup my home folder once a week on Sundays at 3pm. It's set as an event in iCal so I don't have to trust myself to remember ;) I tend to keep things pretty organized around my computer, so backing up my home folder catches most everything: Music, Documents, Pictures, etc.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

You just need to back up your Users folder...so there should be plenty of space on your external drive for that. I have a DVD backup of my important files in another location, but use an external drive for day-to-day backup.

6. lieb39 thread starter macrumors 6502

lieb39

Fair enough - and FYI - My 120GB is pretty full sometimes.. thinking of updating because of Parallels / Mac OS is a constant battle.. haha.

7. Angrist macrumors 6502

Only if thats where you keep all your data.

I'm personally horrible about backing things up, I SHOULD be able to simply round-robin my important things from one machine to another, but actually getting around to doing that ... doesn't happen. Maybe with TimeMachine I can just schedule it.

Ideally you should back up your data to two separate locations, so that in the event of a fire or flood you're still good. I've been told that if you put a drive in the refrigerator it's withstand a fire ... but I've never had first hand confirmation of this.

8. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

i do once a month using superduper! but, i don't have smart update, so it's a big deal for me. you might want to do around every 2-3 weeks, but it's enirely up to you

9. bgd macrumors regular

Weekly I back up my 'Data' directory to a flash drive and iSync. Periodically (when I remember) I copy everything to an external drive.

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I backup once a week, but i rotate between my two external drives, using superduper's smart update

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i clone my powerbooks HD with super duper every week or two, depending if i got new important data (mostly my pictures).

in addition i burn my iphoto library and my important data to cd/dvd every 3 month and store them at work.

soon i will buy another HD and make a second clone of my powerbook every month just in case the first HD breaks. later on this HD will be my HD for Leopards "Time Machine".

12. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

13. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I use iBackup, a really good bit of free software. I then backup to an external drive - just my photos, preferences, documents, emails etc. All easily selectable from iBackup.

14. MacAnkka macrumors regular

I don't backup my computer. Sure, it might be a good idea to do so, but I donät have the money to buy a drive dedicated to backuping (as a matter of fact, I don't have the money to buy a new HD at all, even though I'm desperately running out of space)