Your boss ... outstanding or not?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Deepdale, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Rate your boss ...

10 -- No real flaws to speak of and the love affair with him or her is still in effect.

1 -- if you could toss them out the window with nobody ever knowing, you'd gladly give it a shot.

Mine is an acquired taste. The only problem is my taste buds are still functioning ... thus, a grade of 3.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Never had one. I, on the other hand, am a brilliant boss...

3. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Way to go, Skunk. We'll await the testimonials attesting to your greatness. :)

4. dcv macrumors G3

I don't really have a "boss" at the moment as I'm contracting and working from home.

However, i'd like to take this opportunity to rate a previous boss (of several years ago) a big fat ZERO or even an off-the-scale negative number for being an absolute arsehole.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

My boss = prob. an eight

Would be a six or seven on ability alone but sheer charm, his relentlessly good nature and laid-backness gives him an eight. He's also very good at letting me have my way without taking the glory for himself...

Would fancy him if he wasn't my manager... :eek:

6. yenko macrumors 6502a

I rate myself as a "10". No, wait....A "Perfect 10". :D :D :D

7. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

An excellent rating coupled with high praise. You are very fortunate. My boss is inept, lacks any real feel for the job and is utterly devoid of the requisite people skills needed for effective interaction with his fellow managers and employees. I now realize that my initial rating was inflated.

Out with a 3 ... in with a 2.

8. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I give my boss a 7, mainly because she is very friendly and understanding of my education.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, I currently have a job and am self-employed, so I have two answers.

Regular job: I'll give the guy an 8. He's a pretty great guy and might've made 9, except he doesn't like Macs very much.

Self-employment: Also an 8. I'm leaving myself room for improvement...but at least this guy likes Macs!

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I'd give myself an 8. (Self employed.)

I spend way too much time online. :p

I'd give my last boss a 3.

The one before that a 7.

11. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I reckon my boss is a 6, would have been an 8 but he tends to change his mind and expects you to already understood what he wants, so all the work you have done is pretty useless... uugh

When going out though he's probably a 9, top bloke great to get on with but in work he can be a tyrant :)

12. mpw Guest

hmmm.... Is my boss OK to work for? I'll give him a 8½
    He would've got a 10 but if he were perfect he'd have never hired me and certainly would'nt have given me my last pay rise!

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My boss is a dick. If I could go lower than 1, I could, but for now, 1.

14. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I'd give mine 8 to 9. She's encouraging but critical; a high-achiever and someone I look up to. At the same time, we can all tell her to f-off if we don't agree. Well, in some circumstances. And arguing with her is great fun! Not a sniff of an affair thank you, old enough to be my mother and really the thought... erm no.

15. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I would give my boss an 8.5. He is smart and makes good decisions almost all the time. Sometimes we get into a fight about what a patient needs but that happens rarely.

He also has a really really really really really nice Porsche too.

16. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Don't hold it in ... tell us what you really think of him.

17. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    It's been a declining scale that started out at 5 and is around the 2.1 mark .... I reckon it will only be a matter of months HR get involved.

However, I know for a fact that the boss of my subordinate is a faultess god-like being.

18. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

9+

he oversees the work i do with the saying, "if you screw up, it's my responsibility- but if you do well, you get the credit"

can't ask for much more than that. it's an excellent working environment, i'm learning a lot, and will be sad to leave. (the plan is to switch jobs in january/feb)

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

He obviously isn't a politician...

20. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

My boss gets an 8.5. He never yells at anyone, and he backs us 110%. The problems I have is he can't tell anyone no, which means we sometime have to do last minute rush stuff.

Example: Person: Tech boss, we need sound video equipment set up in 1 hour. Can your department do it?

My BOSS: No Problem!

Rest of us: We already have 2 set ups to do this afternoon. You know, for people who followed PROPER PROCEDURE to use the equipment? Unlike the person you just talked to?

BOSS: I just go buy more equipement and cover it myself. You people cover the rest of the setups, so everybody is happy.

Rest of us. You have meetings scheduled the rest of the day.

Boss. I'll make it! Don't worry. Roger1, just get the equipment set up, and I'll run it.

Roger1 (to himself) We don't have the equipment yet.

But things generally work out ok, so I'm pretty happy working there. But once he retires, who knows?

I used to have a boss that might have rated a "1" on a good day. I used to tell people, that if he keeled over from a heart attack, I wouldn't bother giving him CPR.

21. skyton macrumors 6502

mine gets a 3
    hes a good guy but cant bear to tell anyone off
    so therefore cant manage people for toffee

22. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Mine gets a 9.

Hes a f***ing awesome guy, and has a great sense of humor, and is great at making sure his workers are happy and well taken care of, and also very good at managing the store.

He's in the running and about to win Manager of the Year.

23. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

My boss at the hospital i give a -10000 she ****ing sucks at life. Thou i hug her for some odd reason.

But yes back to her sucking, she slept her way to the position (fact) and she hates everyone below her and she hates me especially because she can't fire me. I got hired by director of pathology because i volunteered for 4 years for him. So the lab manager isn't the happiest being on earth about me, and barely gives me any hours (going to go apply to borders soon).

But i LOVE most of my coworkers, taking one out to the movies and dinner tomorrow night after i come home from red sox game.

24. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

as far as performance and competence i respect mine highly -- But we butt heads a lot

she's very uptight and by the book, i'm very controversial and not jarred easily by high stress situations

we have some good talks collaborate well

all in all 8+

25. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

10 - fantastic guy, great sense on humour and knows his stuff which as materials consultants is very important, really explains things well to me, i feel very lucky to be here, oh and he hates accountants which gives him extra points in my book :)