Your CD/DVD storage solution....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by miTunes75, Sep 23, 2006.

1. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

OK Ya'll. My cd/dvd collection is growing month-by-month. I had "binders" for awhile - didn't like the fact that I had to store the jewel cases elsewhere. I did the "one-touch" push button drawer cd holder...same thing... didn't like having to store jewel cases elsewhere. So, now, the cds and dvds are on the top shelf in the closet. I hate that. I have a collection that I'd like to display. I went to Circuit City today looking for a possible solution. They didn't have anything there that caught my eye. Plus...the things that they did have leaves your possessions out in the open. I have a 4 year old, 2 year old and 1 year old. Not a good idea to have something like that. heh....

What do you guys do for your solution?

Thanks for the advice.

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

get a nice bookshelf that matches the decor in your family room/media room. you can get one with doors, if you please.

my parents have this in their office and they keep electronics and their cables/cords underneath (hidden behind the doors) while displaying books and other stuff on the shelves.

there are probably endless possibilities here.

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

storage-r-us

cd's... ripped and uploaded to mp3tunes. then sold all the cd's to buy beer. sweet!

dvd's... 500gb raid 1 array in the basement. 1.5 year old and 3 year old here. WAY cheaper than damaged dvd's at the end of the day, and after ripping, a click away. sweet!

waiting for iTV....please, please, don't touch that, , please, please...

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I have a dozen or so of these, in various sizes for my CD's. Both compact, and usually free. :D

Some DVD cases I keep on a small bookshelf.

Attached Files:

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I use a combination of spindles & binders for data discs, Amaray cases for DVDs, and DiscSox (http://www.mmdesign.com/) for my Audio CDs.

I had a tall IKEA Billy shelf full of CDs that is now reduced to a 2x2x2 cubic foot cube of CDs. Unlike the spindles they can easily be retrieved individually and the sleeves are much nicer than the usual ones from CaseLogic or similar... (They hold all the booklets and artwork that comes with a typical Audio CD.

B

6. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow .... this website has been the most helpful! thank you so much for showing me this site. My wife and I did some browsing and have narrowed down to a couple of items to choose from that would match our decor and our likings.

I really appreciate it.

7. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Very nice. I'd love to do that but I have this weird thing about owning the CD/DVD...

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just picked this up from Wal-Mart for 12 bucks (college budget here :p)
    shelf.jpg
    (click for bigger)

The build quality is exactly what you'd expect for a $12 Wal-Mart media shelf :rolleyes: but it's better than my previous storage solution:

box.jpg

9. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

I'm a stickler for being organized... I suggest getting an entertainment centre type of thing... i once saw one that my aunt had - in the bottom of it there was a rotary type cd/dvd holder that worked like a ferris wheel - you turned it to access the ones you wanted to use. it must have held upwards of 4-500 items.

10. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

My favorite is from Ikea, but I couldn't find it on their website just now. It's like a tall bookcase, but less than a foot wide, and can store CDs and DVDs. Then one can just buy additional units and put them next to the others.

But, since you have kids, I'd just get a book case with a door. Either glass for viewability or wood so your kids don't break the glass.

But whereever you get your storage solution, make sure it stores the CDs and DVDs vertically. I have an older thing that puts the jewel cases over top of each other, where each case is horizontal, and all the cases get dusty and are a pain to clean.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like you are describing Ikea's Benno bookshelf companion to Billy. http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...Id=10101&storeId=12&langId=-1&productId=11414

I just got this one as part of a new wall unit and think it's better built than Benno, but also more expensive. http://www.plummers.com/?page=shop/...e73cee60d6e486af2e39ea&product_related_id=119

B

12. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Yes, that's exactly it, thank you! One can hold a bazillion CDs and/or DVDs, and the shelves are adjustable, so you're not limited to a specific number of CDs or DVDs.

13. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I like Mark's suggestion. You can always add to it and eventually make a wall of it. And it seems to be versitle which is good.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Heh, my wife is now suggesting since I listen to music only on my mac or ipod that I just need to rip everything losslessly and get rid of the cds and then there would not be a storage issue anymore.

I don't want to make a decision I think I will regret. I think I'll keep them. But, who knows??

14. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

If you did do that, I'd still keep them boxed in storage for a while.