your cell phone and your mac...

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Feb 28, 2003.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Used to sync the phones contacts file over the infra-red, but I got an iPod so I don't now.

Might get a bluetooth phone if it runs Vcards, might not, it's not a priority.

3. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I would be more likely to sync my Mac with a PDA, than with my cellphone. I don't have access to a bluetooth phone with my current cellur service.

4. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I haven't tried this, but there are drivers to use my Kyocera cell phone as a modem with my Mac. You need a USB cable, which costs $40 or more for the Kyocera (why I haven't tried it), and it uses cell minutes but does not charge you extra, at least with Verizon Wireless service.

Haven't tried syncing, though... I doubt the Kyocera can do it.:rolleyes:

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

let me ask you something in reference to this post...

so you can use your cell phone as a modem because of the driver you have....

now if you have a laptop and you wanted to get online wireless anywhere (within service range) you can because of this? you said it uses up minutes with verizon... but say you did on free mintes after 9?.... would that work?

do you see what im getting at? where am i wrong?

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

7. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'm going to start looking at a new cell phone plan in June (WHEN MY CINGULAR CONTRACT RUNS OUT!!) excuse me.... one of my big interests is finding one that I can sync with my Powerbook via bluetooth, as well use for wireless webaccess. Anyone know of a provider that offers minimal high speed access (100kish?) or more? It'd be great if I could stand in our storage unit, and post ebay auctions without paying for a line in or electricity. :)

Wow, 6502.. what does that mean?

8. X-Baz macrumors member

The other day, I found myself wandering around with my phone, a palm and a digital camera in my pocket - each on its own is tiny, but together, they didn't half ruin the lines on my jacket!

i know for a fact that my phone does enough PIM stuff for me to replace the palm, but I need to sync it with both my mac at home (which it won't do) and my pc at work.

so i want a new phone (p800, at the very least a t68i). i use that as comms and portable storage. i sync/backup onto macs and pcs, and use ical/addressbook/outlook and whatever else as data-entry tools. simple.