your college life

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Mar 10, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Eh....small college town. Gets kinda boring at times because you can only waste so many hours of your life at Wal-Mart.

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

wanna know the truth?

i hated it...i was away from my girlfriend and i had too little time to indulge in my music (i played guitar)

i was forced to go to school because nobody in the immediate family had a bachelor's degree and they put their hope in me, especially since i did fairly well on standardized tests

i didn't like the fact that it was hard to make friends and that everyone i saw at school were people i didn't grow up with

while the school was in a rather safe town, it was definitely a downgrade from the town i grew up in

but that was 23 years ago and now when i visit my old college and the surrounding town, i have nothing but great memories of the experience...it was a chance to leave home at 18, to strech the boundaries and learn new things in the classroom and out of it...it reminds me of people who were in the military and hated it but when they are older they have happy stories about their time in the service

4. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I always wondered what it would be like to go to campus out-of-state (if that's what your story implied). Considering that I live in MD, I'm only a 30min ride down the highway from home.

I see alot of people from my high school at College Park. Some have changed alot, others are more or less the same. Me? I really have no idea. I know that with BBS's like this + surrounding myself with students that are almost always smarter than me has expanded my horizons.

I went from being the top 5%, to literally "middle of the pack" here. Its very humbling. I'm a slacker, by the standards of my competing peers in my class. Yeah, pretty unbelievable.

But how's life? I dunno, depends on what you do, who you talk to, what you like doing (interest groups), etc. I still haven't had the opportunity to have a gf, but you know what, I'm not going to make that my "ultimate goal". If it comes, then yeah I'll see how it goes. << Maybe I'm unique in my view?

*Ah, now I know what I wanted to say. If you go to a football college (Miami/FSU), be prepared to embrace the hoopla with the team as well. I mean, that's a reason you go there right? In my case, I went to a basketball school. If you are a fan, a true fan, you will spend alot of time at games (and probably on the team board too).

As a UMD student, you feel the glee after big wins, but on days of big losses (like today), it REALLY hits you in the gut, especially if you are a hardcore fan. If you go to a non-sports school though, I guess maybe you welcome an environment without those "distractions". Again, depends on what you like dude.

5. keithpetey macrumors member

i go to school in the morning, i go to work after that. i write a thousand essays and do the same **** the next day. party friday or saturday night, not both otherwise ill be completely exausted for the next week. i have zero time to myself so things like buying bed sheets is incredibly complicated because i have no time to search for something i like. right now i have about a thousand things to do like set up doc appointments, apply to another university, write another damn essay, make that two, buy bedsheets, do my taxes, wash my clothes.

6. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

No complaints, really. I mean, I went across country to go to college. I'm originally from the Bay Area but ended up in Virginia for college, which isn't half the state CA is. I've traveled a lot in my life and let me tell you--there is no better place in the world than the Bay Area. It's hard to beat San Francisco, Berkeley, or, hell, even Oakland.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    home is in manila, went to college in england. nottingham is very different from home, its such a small city it gets kinda boring, wish i was in london.

work is a lot tougher than high school ever was. get to meet different people, some cool, some not so cool

other than that its pretty good

8. angelneo macrumors 68000

<rant>I hate my college. 80% of the students there are living their own perfect little world. An atrocious amount of students need to grow up.</rant>

I may be wrong but it is just my rant

9. bellychris macrumors member

college life is great. I go to Ramapo College of New Jersey. Its a small school so you really get to know alot of people. As long as you meet new people its a really fun experience.The parties are small here but they are ussually alot of fun.

10. job macrumors 68040

job

Ding!

Sounds a lot like my university. It's a small, lib-arts school in the middle of Ohio.

Outside of the classroom, it feels like High School all over again, and that is definitely not a good thing.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have some bad news...work is a lot like that too. Crappy little games people like to play. Although at work it is easier to stay out of.

College for me is decent. Different because I am older and such. But for me it is 40 hours a week of work 15 hours of on-campus instruction and about 40 hours a week of homework. Whether that is writing a paper or 3, working on the homework, reading the two books per class, or just trying to figure out what my lecture notes said from the day before....I spend every waking moment going to school and going to work. What little joy I have, I try my best to make the best of it. All in all college will end one day and I will look back and know it was all worth it.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Lots of alcohol very little work, hence I'm doing a multimedia degree again.

13. job macrumors 68040

job

Grad school?

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

(I'm doing this as i think of stuff so it might sound weird)

I go to school in Milton MA. I love college life, I like the ablity to do things without my parents bothering me. You can't party too much because you will fall behind and you can't catch up. There is partying but since i go to a small school its not that bad. The only downside is the weekends are kinda boring. Alot of kids live in Mass so they go home on the weekends. Luckly most of my friends are from outta state. The school i go to is in the middle of no where, you need to have a car, if you have a car its great because 5 mins your in town.
    There is alcohol on the dry side of campus, they say their strict but there really not. Since i live in one of the biggest dorms on campus, i get fire alarms about once a week :eek: which stinks because you can't go back in for about an hr. (People are dumb)
    Since its a small school everyone knows eachother. Its like high school. Everyone knows eachother business.
    for everyone high school student reading this, you would think that the childish crap stops at college, your wrong....i think its gets worse. (IE pulling fire alarms) theirs is no point in pulling a fire alarm at 2:00 and then again at 5:30 AM, its not like your getting out of class, your just losing despret sleep.
    I find that my sleep is weird i go to bed late (haha its 3:10 AM) and wake up very late and on the weekends "fogettaabout" (wow its late)...on that note, i'm off to bed... ZZZZZZZZZ :cool:

15. bartelby macrumors Core

When I was in halls there was a group of guys who burnt their toast, at 6am, at least once a week setting off the fire alarms !!
    Thing is every kitchen was supplied with a toaster, how do you burn toast in a toaster?
    I got the feeling that these guy's mothers had hand fed them until they left for college.
    On that subject, I remember one girl who could even bake a potato. She asked and we said 'Cut a slit in it and put it in the oven for about an hour and a half...
    ...An hour and a half later she took out a raw mud covered potato!!

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I am loving college so far. I went to school in my hometown. My parents house is about a 10 minute drive from but I live in my fraternity now. Sports is always fun, being in the SEC there is always a good football, basketball or baseball game to go to. Bars in town aren't very strict on rules so we go drink every now and then. I am just starting to get into classes that have to do with my major and enjoying them very much. I think the next 3 years will be the time of my life.

jon

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Went to college 750 miles from my home town.
    #3 College in the US.
    Loved it.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

It amazes me what has happened to UMD. When I went to high school. UMD was the college of last chance. I now have a nephew attending there who got 1400 on his SAT's. :eek:

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i was 2 1/4 hours away but in the same state (california), but i was attending school in the southern part of the state and i left home behind in the northern part of the state

on the east coast, i guess you can drive 2 1/4 hours and get two states away...for some students, going back home 140 miles each weekend is no big deal but i didn't have a car for my freshman year so my girlfriend and i drifted apart and she eventually met someone and got married

many years later, i found myself in the same town as my old girlfriend from high school and we were both divorced...so 14 years after i first met her in 1982, we got engaged...i know where you all think this story is going to lead, but we didn't get married back in 1996 and i later met someone else and got married a year later...she married the man she sometimes lived with on and off throughout the 90s and they have a daughter who is now in high school

20. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

21. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

I am 39 and am just getting started on a bachelors degree. I have gone to college off and on since high school (mostly off :p). I have recently become interested in math and I am leaning towards that as a major. Its a challenge being an older student. It seems like I have to work harder than the younger students to get the same material. One of the young whippersnappers in my trigonometry class plays Tetris on his Ti-83 calculator all through the lectures and still manages to pull hi 90's on his tests. bah!

bill

22. iGary Guest

iGary

35, still working on finishing my communications design degree at University of Baltimore.

Let's just say my earlier attempts at college were, um more party than studying. :rolleyes:

23. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I attend a small, competitive liberal arts college (on a trimester schedule!) in a pretty nasty city in upstate new york, about 200 miles from home. I usually enjoy school, where I'm in my 3rd year as a Biology/Studio Art double major. It's a work hard, party hard kind of school, although the school is trying to squelch the latter part of that phrase. Parties here can still be pretty wild, but nothing like what they used to be, even since my freshman year (the first year in a long time we didn't make playboy's top 10 party schools list). This term was a very difficult one for me, I had some personal crap to deal with, and my courseload was very intense (why organic chemistry was only offered at 8:20 am, I will never know, but it should be illegal). Finals are next week, then its spring break and some much needed R&R.

24. brap macrumors 68000

25. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Yeah I know. I saw many of my high school friends getting rejected (3.7+ Unweighted GPA), 1400+. Then again, I had a solid bunch of extracurricular activities, along with some strong recommendations. They say that the numbers are starting to regress, but 2002 was a tough year.