Your download usage.

Discussion in 'Community' started by DeSnousa, Apr 24, 2005.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Just wonder how much you guys download in a month on average. Im curious because I switched to a unlimited plan. Ive done 10gb and now ive been slown down :mad:. Australia needs better plans and pricing.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well I always go through my 16 gigs but that's more out of choice than necessity. I suppose, if I wanted to I could get by on about 3 gigs or so.

Couldn't agree with you more about the quality of Aussie broadband though. I can't wait 'til Internode gives me my ADSL2+. Two months time and I should be on 12Mb/s. :D Might have to upgrade the gigs/month then too.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I finally got an email message from my internet provider telling me I'm over my limit. I was downloading a lot of TV shows, such as Dr. Who, and the final season of Enterprise so I wasn't surprised I got the email.

My connection is still active but I'll be limiting my usage to a more reasonable level, I guess. ;)

April Usage for this year.
    [​IMG]

Anyone go over their limits?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

:eek: Have you thought of seeing someone about that habit? ;)

I get charged way too much if I go over. Unlike the rest of Australia, I get financially capped rather than just getting our speed throttled. :(

5. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I've got a 30gig cap on my 2mb connection, but I don't keep track of my downloads at all. The most I'll download is probably a gig a day, and that's only if a site like ign / gamespot has a lot of new high res video content, and I usually only check every 2/3 days.

Other than that, I can't see my browsing etc using up much, and I can't really think of a legal way to get anywhere close to this cap.

6. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

My i ask what company that is with. I thought the max consumer speed currently in Australia was 1.5mb/s.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Internode, perhaps the best ISP in Australia. They've gone behind Telstra's back to give us ADSL2+ (which is something like 24Mb/s, not 12Mb/s like I first said). :D

http://www.internode.on.net/

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I'm not being charged for going over. Well, not that I know of. And dl speeds remain at 1.5 Mbits.

9. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Lacero thats mad, like i said my speed gets throttled to 64kb/s after 10gig. Currently im dl malcom in the middle and its only down 20mb in a time that ive lost count of :eek:

Luckly i only have to deal with the speed for 5 days :eek:

Going on about the crappy net in Australia i orginally began of with the 400mb plan, the first day i did 200mb where i realised i better slow down. So after carefull monitoring i got a $200 bill. So i switched to the plan which is a modest $70 a month for a limit that would cost $1500 a month with the old plan. :eek:

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird, so what's the point of giving you a limit then? Surely they enforce it a little bit. Otherwise, I declare your ISP The Most Generous ISP In The World. :p

11. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Lol and I was worried Telus was gonna call me when I did 20gb's in march. hehe. :eek:

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Does anyone know of a application (or widget perhaps) that can track your usage? My provider is putting caps on but at the moment, I have no idea whether I'm likely to exceed them or not; and I'd like to know before I get roped into a new contract with them.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I used MenuMeters for a few weeks until I realised that my ISP (tiscali) sent out emails at 75% usage and 90%. This was enough to keep me informed...

The problem with these utilities is remembering to reset them each month. And of course, since you're Tigger-catching this week, it may not work at all. Possible claws for concern... :)

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There is no way for me to tell my total download/upload. But I do have Bandwidth Monitor on my "server" downstairs, which does the bulk of any big downloads. I think one month I did 60GB down :eek: I'll check it later on and post a screenie :D

Just as well Blueyonder don't cap you, 4MB down, uncapped....joy :D

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My ISP's website has a link to different apps that people have written to keep track of their account details. Some of them are really quite intricate, which is really pretty useful. However, I'm not sure if you'll be able to use any of them with other ISP. Someone who's good at programming or whatever might be able to modify one though. It's really not my area of expertise at all and I've got no idea whether it's possible/legal but I'll give you a link anyway:

http://adsl.internode.on.net/usage-meters/index.htm

:) Good luck.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Now I know where that never-ending supply of Keira pix comes from. :p

17. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

that program's really handy. how do you get it to display the totals like how much in a month? it says ive done 200mb up and 1.7gb down, but ive done about that (only backwards) this morning and it's only 3:00 here :confused:

18. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am not sure I have a limit..

I download about a gig or 2 of video a month at home, and any software packages I need for Linux I download at work. We have lots of bandwidth at the office for my laptop to use when it is Idle and I am out working. :)

19. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

iinet dsl currently allow speed to go to the limit for your line, a possible 8Mbit/s / 1Mbit/s. i'm getting 6481 down 768 up. internode and adam are now running adsl2. iinet is still trialing adsl2. users are reporting speeds over 18Mbit/s.

i have a 20gb cap. i haven't cracked 8gb for a month yet.

20. angelneo macrumors 68000

I am on an unlimited download/upload quota, so I basically download without any worry of exceeding my limit. I'm not too sure about how much I downloaded per month but I think I can place it at about 4 Gig per month?

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Officially I'm supposed to have a 10 GB cap before getting slowed down to 192 kb/s, but so far I've done 15 GB without it slowing down. A couple of months ago I got to around 80 GB. I don't think my account is configured properly because the usage meter looks like this: :D

Attached Files:

22. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Here's my current usage.

Attached Files:

23. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    being at uni i donwload a lot more; however acess to certain thins is limited. back home i normally go through about 20 gb a month

24. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Holy crap dude, that's some serious downloading! :eek:

25. Nspace macrumors regular

I did 148 GB of transfer this month so far. 114 the month before.

My stupid isp just put a bandwidth limit in place, we will see how long I stay with them after that.