Your ebay bargains...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by student_trap, Apr 12, 2006.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Hi guys,

I was just looking around ebay, and it seems that, especially with mac stuff, ebay is a bit of a rip off, with highly bloated prices.

This got me wondering what your best ebay bargain was?

Also, do you like to use the 'buy it now' option, or do you enjoy the excitement of the auction?

I have only used ebay once, which was to buy some vinyl. It cost me about £10 and i thought that it was a great buy. I used the 'buy it now' option...i'm not much of a gambling man!

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I got a pretty good deal on some RAM (512MB) for my PB it was only ~$AU 80. I'm currently looking for an external hard drive. I don't use ebay that often but it can definitely be cheaper.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I bought a Shaun the Sheep backpack; it looks like this one, but w/out the fun little flower.

[​IMG]

It was advertised as new but when I received it, it was a mess! So I contacted the seller and s/he shipped me out a new one w/ its tag still attached and told me to keep them both! Yay! :D

4. fairy lights macrumors newbie

hmmmm too many bargains for me to name one in particular... but I got a rele nice pair of brand new shoes for about £15, and a full nun outfit for about £7... bargainous no?

5. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Bought my iPod Mini when it came out for £179. Sold it on eBay 18 months later for £170 + £25 shipping to Australia so PROFIT of £16 :D

Then sold my 512mb ram out my Mini when upgraded to 1gb. New 1gb from Crucial cost me £61 and sold my 512mb for £52 + £4 shipping so it only cost me £7 overall :D

eBay defo has its advantages!

EDIT: Oh and before you say it, all my items including them have been started at No Reserve as I just wanted rid and was happy with what I got. Just happened to get more than I thought!

6. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

Hmmm, a curious purchase?

In seriousness though, it seems like ebay is quite the seller's market.

Any comments on whether you like to gamble or just make a quick purchase?

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I've done quite a lot of buying and selling on eBay, but I must say that bargains there for buyers are few and far between; you really have to know what you are looking for, set a limit on what you are willing to pay, and STICK TO IT! I have gotten trapped in the 'bidding frenzy' when I was new to eBay, and paid too much. Now I usually use BIN or don't bid until the last 2 hours and strictly obey my limit. I'm generally too impatient to bid on something days in advance and watch it go up. I have also sold quite a lot of stuff on eBay, and most have sold for more than I thought they were worth. Occasionally I will have something that ends up selling too cheap, but it all comes out in the wash.

8. fitinferno macrumors 6502

The buy-it-now option tends to lead to the best bargain. There are a lot of people who are just looking to unload something quickly, so they'll price it low enough to do exactly that. So if you're lucky to be purusing ebay at the right time...you get a steal! :)

I've gotten a lot of ebay bargains...best one I can think of right now is my guitar. I got it off ebay (I know, I know...play before buying, but I knew it'd sound just fine) for about 120 pounds less than the in-store price :eek:

9. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

without hijacking my own thread (can you actually do that :confused: ) what guitar did you buy?

10. fitinferno macrumors 6502

It is your thread...you can do what you please w/it :) The guitar was an art & lutherie solid top...I LOVE it! At the time it was going for about £220 in any store I went to and I picked it up for £100.

11. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

sounds good to me, was indeed bargainous! I doubt I could buy an instrument off of ebay though!

Back to the thread:

Post your ebay bargains...

12. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I got a iMac G3 400MHz/128MB/15GB for $80 shipped.

I think it's a bargain, at least. :eek:

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't do much shopping on eBay. But my best bargain was a new phone charger for $6 shipped, when Cingular wanted $30 for the same thing. This wasn't an offbrand either. Motorola OEM, brand new, identical to my old charger (which I broke).

14. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

You charged £25 for shipping? :eek:

15. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Bought a dual 1ghz quicksilver with a super drive, zip drive, 80gig HD, 512MB RAM, etc. for $300. They had mistyped the name of the auction, and I guess no one thought to look for a "quicksliver" on eBay. Used it for a while, then ended up selling it on these boards to a guy from Canada for about a grand. That basically payed for my Mac Mini and my shiny monitor (I upgraded from a CRT to an LCD when I changed computers).

16. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Who else just went on eBay and typed in quicksliver?

*raises hand*
    :)

17. fitinferno macrumors 6502

I was tempted to...:p

18. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Originally listed it at £10 international shipping but the person who bought it wanted it like now so asked me to ship UPS Express and came out at £25 so I didn't argue :rolleyes:

19. mac14 macrumors newbie

hi
    i got a bargain and powermac g4 quicksliver 733mhz 512 ram, power supply superdrive everything, only for 36 pounds

20. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Strictly apple stuff? If not - I scored a Waterman LeMan 100 Opera fountain pen, brand new - box and all the papers! It arrived as described. Perfect!!

[​IMG]

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Man, I always get ripped on eBay. It's an addiction though. :eek:

I did score a 2G Nano for $45 w/free shipping a few months ago, though. I think that was a good deal.:eek:

I ALWAYS use Buy It Now. I used auctions for a few months, but they always frustrated the hell out of me, and I don't need the extra stress. :p

22. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Although I can't say I use eBay all that often, my best purchase (and last purchase) was about six years ago when I got a great used clarinet for about $400. It was a steal and in great condition.

23. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

With care and caution - and a willingness to dispute a charge, ebay is ok.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I bought a battery for my PSP-2000 and a case for 6 UMD's off eBay, think I paid £25 in total. Anyways the battery wasn't as described (said new but had damage to it), he never replied so I filed a complaint. He was shut down a few days later. Must have been selling dodgy stuff. Anyways - got my money back for everything and still have my items.

But I've been ripped off for an equal amount to so its all balanced. Karma and that :D

25. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Getting my first iMac for around 1100 dollars.... when new ones were 1800+

Oh wait, I am going to do that again soon!