Your experience with craigslist

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TexasMac, Nov 9, 2005.

1. TexasMac macrumors member

I was wondering if anyone has had experience selling or buying something on craigslist.org.

I am close to Dallas, so we may not be as tech savvy as the folks elsewhere like the bay area. Is it a popular thing outside of the major tech friendly cities?

2. Cinch macrumors 6502

classified ad

I sold furniture through Craigslist before. You tend to get tech savvy people on Craigslist, thus the demographic is better than say a local newspaper audience. I like the local feel to it, but it really depends on what you sell/buy. I like the idea that you can ask to see the stuff that you are interested in before you commit.

Although the personnals on Craigslist is a bit out there if you know what I mean.

one opinion, I hope you get more feedback

Cinch

3. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I sold my powerbook on Chicago's craigslist, and bought my mini as well. Both were super fast cash transactions.

I love it.

4. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I've sold a couple things via Craigslist and have had no issues although I did hand deliver the items.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i love it!

found my....
    1. apartment: in ground pool, garage, etc. in NW DC
    2. wine rack: self explanatory, holds my wine
    3. futon: everyone needs a futon
    4. girlfriend: yeah... this is slightly embarassing... but it's been the best relationship i've ever been in! 9monthes and counting

6. TexasMac thread starter macrumors member

I haven't ever looked at craigslist before this week. I am planning on trying to sell a computer on there.

From the replies it sounds like you can find just about anything on there.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I found my apartment on Craigslist as well as furniture and a couple freelance jobs.

Lethal

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I put a viola case on there once.

about a week later, I was hit by some email. It sounded convincing enough... until they asked for my bank account # to transfer in the funds.

idiots.

wanted me to mail a 10-pound case internationally, too.

/mmmm, spammers
    //Mmmmm, spammers who make me think I'll get money from a case
    ///I hate you, spammer
    ////but I love Craigslist!

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I just bought a microphone from someone on Craigslist. I like it because it's localized, so you can meet your buyer/seller in person and know that your transaction is safer.

10. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

In Miami and New York it was my first source for housing and jobs. Very good site.

11. SharksFan22 macrumors regular

SharksFan22

I've bought and sold a lot of concert and sports tickets on craigslist with no problem. Highly recommended. Much faster and cheaper than eBay!

12. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I have bought and sold on Craigslist and had great results. The stuff I was selling was specifically for local pickup/cash only sale so it was pretty easy to weed out the scammers....oh yeah!

13. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I get all my web design work from Craig's List and I've done probably over 40 designs from there since the summer. It's very effective, but I've never sold/purchased anything from there.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Any suggestions on how to protect yourself when selling high dollar items locally through craiglist?

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Meet the buyer and don't take checks? :)

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

My uncle sold his boat recently, and I know it was posted on craigslist, but I'm not sure if the buyer saw it on craigslist.

17. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

My sister found her apartment via Craigslist, and my cousin bought his iBook from there as well. They both say that its great because its localized and safe.

irmongoose

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

But even meeting the buyer locally and "publicly" any tips (other than getting cash for the item)? I just don't want to get mugged in the parking lot.

19. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....have someone with you, a very large person (but have them stand off as to not intimidate the buyer - they probably have the same concerns you do)....oh yeah!

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Maybe I could get iGary to join me on the "buy" then.

I understand the concerns on both sides. Just like when I bought an eMac from a local here on MR. I think he was just as nervous as I and my ex was.
    :D

You gave me a thought. Maybe meeting at my bank to inspect the goods and exchanging the money might provide us both a "margin: of "safety".

21. MacVibes macrumors newbie

love on the list

My friend found his wife there, they got married this summer, they are still together...:)

22. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

I have loved CL since its inception when it was still listfoundation.org.
    I've been a personal friend of Craig for 10+ years (before he started the list! met him at a LISA/Usenix conference way back when). He's a great, really sweet guy.

Have mostly used the Silicon Valley/SF/Bay Area site, and bought and sold dozens of items including computers and cars. Never had ANY problems with anyone.

I've also found apts, subletted my own apt. and found roommates numerous times; gone on dates, found babysitters, etc. It is awesome and totally works.
    Common sense is really enough to stay safe -- cash only transactions, and for larger items (cars, etc.) write up an informal sales contract.

23. TexasMac thread starter macrumors member

Well, I posted my computer on craigslist last night and have gotten two responses so far. One is from a Canadian email address. I'm in the Dallas area so that just screams scam to me. The other is a guy wanting to set up a payment plan. I'm leaning towards no, even if he wants it for his church.

Thanks to everyone for their responses and feed back. You guys have been a big help.