Your favorite anime(s)

Discussion in 'Community' started by phreakout13, Aug 16, 2004.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    I was wondering what some of the MacRumors' peoples favorite animes are. I used to post on anime boards but some of the people were snots, although some were very nice. anyways... I was just wondering. I like a lot of the ones they put on Adult Swim like:
    Cowboy Bebop
    FLCL (I have the DVDs)
    Wolf's Rain
    Lupin III
    Also, I am a very big fan of Hayao Miyazaki's films (except for Nausicaa which I haven't seen) and Tohru Fujisawa's GTO

I'd love to hear what anyone else likes :)
  2. Brettla macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2004
    I own Cowboy Bebop, and Initial D, Onegai Teacher
    and also watch Case Closed, Big O, Last Exile, Trigun and Excel Saga
  3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
  4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    *cough* The Shell ;)

Anyways, here's what I've watched:
    Cowboy Bebop (I watched this a while ago off of BT, now I got the DVDs from netflix :D)
    Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Season 1 was great, and I'm in the process of watching season 2
    RaHXephon - Similar to Evangelion, but different too...
    Read or Die The TV - Excellent, and ties in with the OVA/Movie quite a bit in the second half. I actually haven't watched the last two episodes yet, as my copy is messed up :mad:
    Full Metal Panic - It's got mechs, fighting, and awkward high school moments, good stuff
    Full Metal Panic Fumoffu - Same as above, minus most of the fighting, replacing it with even more awkward high school moments. funny stuff
    Last Exile - HOLY CRAP this is good! the mechanical design is rather similar to this webcomic
    Onegai Teacher/Twins - There's really hardly any relation between these. But still good (and plenty of eye-candy :D)
    Oruchuban Ebichu - just plain funny. Think Hamtaro, but more: violence, nudity, and sex.
    FLCL: Crazy. Just plain crazy.
    Hellsing: Gory, a tad freaky. I took a looong break in the middle of watching it, so I think I need to watch it again to understand it.
    Love Hina: Stays very very very close to the manga. But I don't know if I finished it yet, as the last episode I have is a clip show :confused:
    Gunslinger Girl: Haven't watched the last ep of this one yet either. I should get around to it...

Unwatched/In Progress:
    Tenjou Tenge: It has fighting, hot girls, more fighting, and then the hot girls fight.
    Samurai Champloo: Really really cool. Great music too.
    Chrno Crusade: A tad kiddy-ish, but it has demons, gunfights, and a hot nun :D
    Najica Blitz Tatics: once I figure out how to get the damned episodes to play, I'll tell you.
    Dominion - same with this one. I managed to find the first ep somewhere else though, looked pretty good.

Ghost In The Shell - Required watching!
    Akira - This too!
    Armitage III (the third, not 3) - and this
    Read or Die - Honestly, I don't remember much of it :(
    Battle Angel Alita (well, that's what the name should be anyway) - frankly, it's poo. read the manga instead.
    Cowboy Bebop - every bit as good as the series, and a bit better. Shinichiro Watanabe is THE MAN
    Chrono Trigger OVA - It's, uh, weird. and short.
    Acquired but not watched:
    RahXephon OVA - I hear it's a slightly different (and obviously shorter) telling of the series.
    Probably some more.
  5. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
  6. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Apr 26, 2003
    Wakayama, Japan
    Love Hina
    Ranma 1/2
    Tenchi Muyo
    Bubble Gum Crisis
  7. jiker macrumors member

Apr 12, 2002
    My friends and I have an anime night every thursday where we watch 3-4 episodes of a series (or a movie). This is what we've seen so far:

Evangelion + the 2 movies
    Escaflowne + the movie
    Cowboy Bebop + the movie
    Great Teacher Onizuka
    Kenshin (took us a year to finish!)
    Jubei Chan
    Now and Then, Here and There
    Ghost in the Shell
    Ninja Scroll
    Princess Mononoke
    Urusei Yatsura (currently watching)

Can't think of any others at the moment. I think I'm forgetting a few..
  8. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    DVD's i have..

Studio Ghibli collected (sans Spirited away)
    Sprited Away
    Initial D (seas 1-3)
    Crying Freeman
    Cowboy Bebop (& Movie)
    Demon City Shinkoku
    Gall Force
    Ghost in the Shell
    Full Metal Panic
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Samurai X Movie & OVAs
    Last Exile
    Neon Genesis Evangelion (movie too)
    Ninja Scroll
    Project A-Ko
    Bubblegum Crisis
    Ranma 1/2 (Season 1-4, couple movies)
    Robotech (3 seasons)
    Macross Plus
    Roujin Z
    Sakura Wars
    She, The Ultimate Weapon
    Tokyo Godfathers
    The Venus Wars
    Wolf's Rain
    Witch Hunter Robin
    Wrath of the Ninja
    Vampire Hunter D
    Blood: The Last Vampire

i know there's more older stuff in closet i haven't cataloged yet.
  9. iAlan macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2002
    I live in Tokyo and dislike anime....

Was never a fan, have to put up with them on a daily basis in Japan. I guess the whole Yugi/Pokemon thing was a bit of overkill for me and put me off on the whole genre (although I did like Animatrix).

I heard that Evangelion willbe made into a live action movie, that could be good if done correctly.
  10. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

May 1, 2003
    Berserk is the best series ever, NOT the US dubbed version. If you watch any anime, do yourself a favor and only watch it with original audio and english subutitles, (or if you know Japanese no subs) if is a WAY better experience.

Edit: This guy is selling the complete series, all 25 episodes on 5 disks for the buy it now price of 2.95! Someone should pick this up, great deal!
  11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    The only anime I've watched thus far and really really liked is Serial Experiments: Lain. Good good stuff. Plus lots of Apple references to boot!

Although I guess I have to give it up a little for Ranma 1/2 (which I used to like but don't care for much anymore) since that's where SilentPanda comes from... the grandfather could turn into a Panda and would always communicate with written signs (I guess Panda's can't speak Japanese) hence the SilentPanda.
  12. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    Anime DVD's I own:

Princess Mononoke
    Sprited Away
    Gundum Wing The Movie: Endless Waltz
    Macross Plus Vol. 1 & 2
    Ah My Goddess
    Transformers The Movie ;)
  13. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    I'm not a huge anime guy, but appreciate well done one's when I see them. I own the recent standards like Princess Monoke (which I like more and more each time I see it), spirited away (which I thought was a bit voerrated, but interesting). I bought the cowboy bebop movie after seeing it though i had never watched the series. The cowboy bebop movie might have the best sound mixing on a DVD of any I've seen yet. They absolutely nailed the surround sound. I'm starting to watch the series now (thanks netflix) and its good, but the movie I like more. Of course there is Akira (can you tell I'm not all that schooled in some of the more obscure stuff). I thought Kiki's delivery service was a really cute, well done movie. As far as shows, I have a thing for dragon ball z, particularly the Cell Saga. I really liked Outlaw star, particularly the first volume. Never liked evangelion that much from what I saw. I didn't think Gundam Wing was all it was cracked up to be. I saw that movie metropolis which was good, but the animation style just didn't do anything for me. I thought Ninja scrolls was pretty bad. When I get through the other stuff on my netflix que, I might check out some of the other stuff that's out there.
  14. Wash!! macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    here, there, who knows
    Here are my

Full metal panic- Madox-01
    Ghost in the shell
    Macros- Do you remember love
    Vampire hunter D
    Astroboy (the original)
    Black magic- M-66
  15. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    LOL, damn typist, i should fire him. I usually watch it in japanese with english/engrish subtitles, the american voiceovers usually dont get the tones quite right.

That guy is selling outta China.. i've had bad experiences with HK and Chinese sellers, the bootlegs are horrible, and most of the time it takes like a month for it arrive. If it's a bad disc, you're basically screwed, cause it's like $10+ to send it back, AND they make you pay for the shipping back to you again.

edit: I have Serial Lain too, but i couldn't get into it, i think i got through the first DVD and part of the second, but it really couldn't hold my attention. And that whole "Navi" thing does have alot of apple-like references.
  16. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    Final Fantasy Unlimited
    Spirted Away
    Pricess Monoki(can't spell)
    Goast In the Shell
    Vampire Huner D
    Arimatage (this first one)
    Tortro (Orignal Japanese VHS)
    Kiki Delivery Service (Oringal Japanese VHS)

Card Captors (would buy but theres like 30 discs)
    Berserker (will buy)
    A couple of lupin the 3rds
    Castle in the sky

I'm sure there are others ...
  17. millar876 macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2004
    Peterhead, Scotland UK
    good anime

You all have good points about your anime faves, However i dont seem to be seing enough praise of Dragonball Z. Cowboy-beebop and Big O are good but in MY oppinion the wrighters and animators dont seem to have the same passion and intencity towards their work, that Akira Toriyama puts into his work. NOW Beafore you all go blasting the dragonball series im going to point out a few things; 1. The american/english version of dragonball was dumbed/toned down by Sencors as "cartoons are for kids" (in a patronising whiney tone) so i dont rate that version of Dragonball - however the books (aimed at 14+) are a LOT better and have a more adult oriented humor, the same goes for DBZ. 2- Akira only intended for DBZ to go to the end of the Frieza Saga, ending in a climactic batle between good and evil (the final battle between Goku and frieza is mirrored in the fight between Neo and Smith in Matrix3) this in my opinion is where DBZ should have stopped, or at least they should have missed out the cell saga and went streight to Majin Boo. 3. DRAGONBALL GT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HAPPEN. there are TOO many flaws in the opening saga and the final saga. more to the point it waas just S**te because Akira toriyama wanted nothing to do with it, so it was made anyway. 4. The best way to enjoy ANY anime is to watch it UNCUT in Manderin or Japaneese with NO subtitles (and i'm a white guy who dose not speak a word of it)
  18. millar876 macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2004
    Peterhead, Scotland UK
    sorry 4 my rant

sorry for my above rant, tough day at the ofice. I'm just 2 darn passionate about my DBZ. anyone else feel the same? Anyone Like Gundam Wing and Gundam Wing - Endless Waltz, and Zouds - Gothic Century (the wone with Bang Fleigheight, fiona and the organoid Zeek)
  19. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    I've seen Animatrix and enjoyed it, I try to watch Gundam Seed, but it's only on Sat nights at 10:30. I also like Speed Racer, and STARBLAZERS!!!!!

"We are off, to outer space...."

Edit: Oh, my current favorites (although they don't really qualify as anime)are Megas XLR, Teen Titans, and the new Justice league. I also like Batman Beyond, Batman, Superman, you get the drift.
  20. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    I love dragonball z, as i posted above. however, I really think the show was at its most interesting in the Cell Saga. The Frieza Saga was Ok, but the production quality is just not as good. And I think they did a lot more with the characters in the Cell saga (Vegita is much more complex, Gohan is actually fleshed out, etc). On the other hand, I thought the Majin Boo Saga was pretty weak. It had a few great moments, but it just seemed like the show should have ended after Cell. Cell was a great character because he harkened back to the beginnings of the story line, it was tied to what dragon ball was origonally. Majin Boo just seemed to me like they said "hey its still popular, lets do some more", so they created a whole different universe and found ways to undo things that were supposed to be irrevokable.

I'll agree with you about Dragon Ball GT. That's an atrocity from what I've seen.

I wonder if the live action version of DBZ will ever actually happen. I heard about it a long time ago.

And funny thing about dragon ball is that its the only anime I prefer voiced in English. I know its missing a lot from the original language, but I just think the voices fit better. Its the only one I feel like that about of all I've seen.(cowboy bebop isn't bad in English, but its better with subtitles). I'm no expert, those are just my opinions.
  21. millar876 macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2004
    Peterhead, Scotland UK
    good points

Akira tried to make DBZ about Gohan in the Cell, and Bibidi sagas and the general dbz watching public were for none of it. However i agree that the voices fit better in the english Dub, I mean they could have at least made goku's voice change as he got older in the origional version. hovever I disagree about ending after cell, It COULD have ended there, but akira left it open ended awaiting fan reaction, which was MORE GOKU, MORE super saiyans, more of a chalange!. Majin Buu was created as an extention of the cell type bad guy (i.e. absorbsion=more power) but the ultimate evolution of that. I liked the whole Buu-end sagas because of the twists, people dying then coming back then the dead returning to fight Evil-Buu who then becomes Super-Buu then the fusions (Vageto/gogeta depending on cut/uncut/movies/series/fusion dance or Kai earings)then the trip inside Buu where they find Fat-Buu, remove him from Super-Buu thinking he would be weaker but instead unleashing Kid-Buu (the origional Buu who Supreme Kai feared) and then the final episode. G E E N I O U S ! ! !
  22. millar876 macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2004
    Peterhead, Scotland UK
    On the Animatrix

Dose anyone else think i-Robot could very easily fit into the storyline of the second rennesance and that the series 4 robots in i-Robot looked like the workers/B-966-ER (the robot in the trial)? Just somthing for your minds to Mull over!
  23. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    My favorite anime is Gundam. My top favorite Gundam shows/movies have to be Gundam Wing, Gundam Wing the movie: Endless Waltz, and Gundam Seed. I also like Dragonball GT and Kenshin.
  24. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    Star Blazers was my first anime ever, in first grade. The whole idea of a cartoon having a story spanning more than one episode, and being able to progressively learn about the characters, turned me into a fan for life.

Teen Titans is awesome. :D A definite slant to the younger side of the teen audience, but fun and intelligently done, with just the right bits of anime influence without slavish imitation.
  25. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    You know, I never got to see the final episode of the buu saga. cartoon network started the series over and then changed the times before it got there. I'll have to rent it. I still didn't like it as much, it was good, just not as good as the Cell saga I though. I always thought Gohan in the Cell Saga was the most compelling character of the series. When he just explodes and kicks Cells butt, its the best sequence I think of any of the DBZ's. I've always just loved watching the scene where he finally lets in to his emotions and just explodes with a power that no one could fathom before. And the whole fatherhood thing with Goku and Vegeta (important for the series going back to Bardock and vegita's father).

I see your point about the Buu Saga. The twists could be fun. It just didn't speak to me though. I was kind of annoyed at how all of a sudden everyone is just as strong as gohan was when he defeated cell, just because I loved how getting to that point really meant something for him in that saga (and for Goku). In the buu saga it just kind of seemed like they worked out a bit mroe and got there, as if it was just a matter of time instead of the unfathomable power it seemed at first.

I dunno. you obviously know more about the series then I do. I just know what I like and that's the Cell saga.