Your favorite Christmas scene?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Probably every board at one time or another has done the "What's your favorite Christmas movie/special?" thread. So I'll ask something a little different: what's your favorite scene?

I've got a few:

• In "A Charlie Brown Christmas", Charlie Brown and Linus are walking through the Christmas tree lot, almost all of which are made of aluminum. (Linus even bangs on one, and it makes a hollow ring.) That's when they spot that scraggly little twig, prompting Linus to ask the immortal question: "Gee...do they still make wooden Christmas trees?" :D

• I suppose there's all sorts of moments in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", but I like the one where "all that was left was a crumb that was even too small for a mouse"...and we see the Grinch steal even that crumb, leaving a quizzical mouse looking at the audience.

• And, of course, in the same show, the whole "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch" song is just a hoot.

• But my very favorite -- and the one that inspired this topic -- is in the 1970 musical "Scrooge". In a scene that was totally made up for the movie (yet works like gangbusters), the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come leads Scrooge to his place of business, outside of which Scrooge sees a cheering throng made up entirely of people who owe him money.

Scrooge is delighted, assuming that at some point in the future, people have actually come to appreciate him. As he watches the crowd, what he doesn't see behind his back is several undertakers carrying out his dead body in a black coffin!

Scrooge continues to be oblivious as one man dances on top of Scrooge's coffin, leading the crowd in song:

Thank you very much!
      Thank you very much!
      That's the nicest thing that anyone's ever done for me!
      It may sound double-Dutch
      But my delight is such
      I feel as if a losing war's been won for me!
      And if I had a flag I'd 'and me flag out
      To add a sort of final victory touch.
      But since I left me flag at 'ome
      I'll simply have to say
      Thank you very, very, very much!
      Thank you very, very, very much!

It's a wonderfully ironic scene in that Scrooge hasn't a clue that they're celebrating the fact that he's dead. :D And on top of that, the song is very catchy.

2. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

my favorite christmas scene is me switching on the TV and not having to put up with a single christmas commercial.

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

in Christmas Vacation, when the cat chews on the light string under the chair!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :D :p :D

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

or the jacket, hammer, and the squirril! :D :D :D man i love that movie

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Years and years ago, back when I was a young kid, I saw this Christmas movie where the Freggles, the Muppets and everyone from Sesame Street unappointedly came together in a big house somewhere out in the snow. It was, and probably still is, the coolest Christmas movie I've ever seen.

One problem, though: I want to see it again this Christmas, but I've forgotten what it's called. Does anyone out here know?

6. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Ah, the wonders of IMDB.

Apparently, however, you can't get the complete original.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Several other scenes in "A Charlie Brown Christmas" come to mind as well: Snoopy mimicking Lucy behind her back, when she's chewing out the other kids for goofing off during Christmas Pageant rehearsal; Linus reciting the passages from Luke, to remind the kids of the true meaning of Christmas.

Too many scenes from "Christmas Vacation" to pick just one. But if I were to try to pick one, it would surely be one of the scenes with Randy Quaid (i.e. Cousin Eddie). ;)

Bengt77 (and any other Muppets fans), there's also the "The Muppet Christmas Carol". It's not perfect (it's hard for me to enjoy a lot of the Muppets stuff made after Jim Henson's death) but there are still several funny lines (e.g. Rizzo the Rat: "This is scary stuff! Shouldn't we be worried about the kids in the audience?", Gonzo: "Oh, no, this is culture!").

8. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    One scene I like is from Love Actually. Where the girl is like "I got a part in the nativity scene." And her mom says "Oh? What part?" Then the girl responds, "I'm the lobster! First lobster!"

9. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

It's a set of comics, actually...
    and #3

so entertaining.... in an evil sort of way, of course...

10. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I'm with Thomas - its all about the Grinch. I laugh so hard every year, even now - especially when he slithers across the floor like a snake.

This makes me realize I haven't caught The Grinch this year yet....

11. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

When it ends and life can go back to normal.

Bah Humbug!!

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I had completely forgotten that one while I was trying to remember my favorite all time Christmas scene.

I have just recently finished watching my DVD of "A Christmas Story", so the leg lamp and the pink bunny suit were fresh on my mind. (I know a lot of people on this board hate that movie but those scenes are still classic).

Hands down the best Christmas scene ever is in "A Muppet Family Christmas." I have the DVD and a version taped off of Nickelodeon 8-9 years ago with some of the deleted scenes (need to move that to DVD ASAP).

The scene is a rendition of Mel Torme's Christmas Song sung as a duet between Big Bird and the Swedish Chef. It is by far one of the most hilarious moments I have ever witnessed, ranks right up there with Beaker singing "Feelings" on the original Muppet Show (Diana Ross was the guest star).

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

For some reason I can't remember "A Muppet Family Christmas", but it sounds like I need to be on the lookout for it. Thanks for the recommendation. ;)

14. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Gosh, why didn't I think of doing a search on IMDb? Can't believe I visit that site every once in a while yet when I'm trying really hard to remember a film title I really enjoyed being a kid, I seem to have forgot about IMDb...

Anyways... thank you, thank you, thank you! :p

Dang, I'm just going to have to buy it this Christmas; I'm looking forward watching it again after all those years already!

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Though not blatantly christmas-y, I pretty much enjoy most of the scenes in "A wonderful Life" after Clarence (the angel 2nd class) makes his appearance. Of particular note, is the scene where clarence reveals he is an angel, the guy's expression when hesistating to spit is priceless. Also, the whole section where Stewart runs through town at the end, is excellent.