Your favorite DS games

Discussion in 'Games' started by zelmo, Dec 20, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I just picked myself up a little Xmas gift. this week, ToysRUs has the red DS Mario Kart edition, Ultimate Spiderman, and choice of two Intec DS accessory kits all for $149, and it was too good to refuse. I also picked up Castlevania DS.

I don't like RPG's or card-type games, and I've got a PSP with a couple of great racing games (Burnout, Wipeout). I'm looking for ideas for a few additional games to pick up in the near future. I'm thinking about WarioWare.

I know people like Animal Crossing and Advance Wars, but I don't know anything about these games. Suggestions?
  2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    How's Ultimate Spider-Man? The console version rocked, but was short. I haven't played the handheld version, but I know the DS version of Spider-Man 2 sucked big-time.

While Mario & Luigi 2 is an RPG, it's much different than any other RPG, and I'd recommend trying it. Very, very fun game, and it's all about reacting during battles and timing (jumping to avoid attacks, rapid button combos, etc).

I haven't played Animal Crossing. Advance Wars is a turn based strategy game. Think Age of Empires crossed with Chess, with tanks and soldiers. Very good and addictive game, but it can get HARD.

The Mario Kart Edition DS comes with Mario Kart, right? If not, buy Mario Kart.

If you haven't beat the original Mario 64, go and buy the DS version. Heck, even if you have the original, if you see the DS version used or in a discount bin somewhere, pick it up. The 36 minigames and modified levels and new characters are worth it.
  3. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    A lot of people on these forums would highly recommend Wario Ware. Even though there's not a ton of substance to it, it is a lot of fun and takes advantage of the touch screen. It's also good to pick up if you just have a minute or two to play.

That gives me an idea... I sure hope Nintendo releases a version of Smash Bros for the DS. Online with gameplay somewhere between the N64 and the Cube! That would totally rock!:eek:

Edit: Oh... apparently a lot of people want it and have already thought about it :eek: Guess who's a little slow on the draw today....
  4. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Haven't played Spiderman yet, or any of the other games. While this is a present I bought for myself, my wife snapped it up as soon as I walked in the door yesterday and said she's wrapping it...which basically tells me she didn't get me anything this cool herself.:rolleyes:

Yes, Mario Kart comes with the red DS.

I never played Mario 64 other than in passing at my nephew's house, and would have picked it up had they had a copy in stock. Should have mentioned it in my prior post, but it's such a no-brainer...

Advance Wars doesn't quite sound like my cup o'.

The Mario 'n' Luigi thing might work. I looked at the box, but wasn't sure it was for me. I'm more of a hit and run gamer, rarely have more than an hour at a time to play, so I like games that can play in shorter bursts.
  5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Wario Ware is the only game that I can play no matter what, but Mario Kart is pretty good, too
  6. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    It's Not Fair :( You get the groovy Hot Rod Red NDS Mario Kart package in the US. We just get the silver model with our Mario Kart Bundle. Oh well the game rocks anyway. Try it online, its great :D
  7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    If you've never played Mario 64, go buy it this instant. While the controls aren't as good lacking the joystick from the N64, it's still one of the best platformers of all time and a must play.

Mario & Luigi 2, well, the game is quite long (I'm past 12 hours so far). The game is very, very funny though. Lots of weird time travel moments, slapstick, and jokes. There is even l33tsp34k. But it's very fun.

If you don't like Age of Empires or Chess, then Advance Wars probably isn't for you. I'd highly recommend it though, it's a good game.
  8. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    You can't go wrong with Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Advance Wars, and Castlevania :).

To add to the list Sonic rush is pretty kick-arse as well. I've never been a fan of the Sonic franchise but I love this one.

Also Mario 64. I played it to death of my N64 but with the new characters, stars, bonus games etc I think it's well worth revisiting on the DS. I still get a kick out of playing it on the train - something I never would have imagined I'd be doing just a few years ago.

I haven't got it but everyone I know who has got Kirby says great things about it. Purely touch-screen controlled and apparently quite fun.

And I'll put my hand up for Warioware. It was one of the first games I picked up and found it suprisingly cool. The extensive use of the touch screen and internal microphone to control the game is great. It's also a top laugh and is accessible by anyone.
  9. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    My take on DS games

I got my US import DS back in Feb. gotta say i've had more fun on this machine than any other. Maybe its just that I have more money these days but I'm playing what I personally consider to be the best games of the moment. What I love...

Nanostray= killer vertical scrolling shooter. Rock solid and German-made.

Mario DS= Epic platformer. there is no other 3D platformer that can compare.

Advance Wars= most addictive game I've played. maybe not as much as Tetris but I was hooked on this for months. Campaign got too hard for me though so I now only play multiplayer :) after unlocking all (I think?) the new units.

Mario Kart and Bomberman= utterly fantastic multiplayer games.

thats all I can think of now. The DS really has a fantastic range of games. all made better with a brand new Mario game, Four Swords, online Metroid and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl games hitting us soon.

As people keep saying... WarioWare, Sonic, Tony Hawk, Castlevania are all amazing games.
  10. NerdBoy macrumors member

Oct 25, 2005
    Why do you need to know?
    MKDS is the way 2 go!

Mario Kart DS! So totally awesome!!! Wi-Fi play is so cool!
  11. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    OK, I already have Mario Kart, Castlevania, and Ultimate Spiderman.

I'll pick up WarioWare and Super Mario for sure. Thanks for the tips. Anything else? Anyone here try Electroplankton?
  12. technocoy macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

mario kart, nanostray, metroid pinball, animal crossing, super mario 64 DS.

GET EM!!!!!!