Your favorite DVDs

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dignan, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

Keeping with my film-majority postings...What dvds do you like?

And im talking dvds, not movies...

Mallrats dvd- best commentary EVER!

Lawrence of arabia is a great dvd...good transfer, good package...

I just got the out of sight dvd, good behind the scenes, etc.

Anything criterion collection is good, Rushmore is great, and I assume royal tenenbaums will be as well (I have it pre ordered)

Also, the Die Hard discs are surprisingly good...Cut footage, but the best is an "editing workshop" where you edit a scene, and compare to the actual footage. Sweet huh?

-D
    Also, I should just mention godfather, because its godfather

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

good call.

the rushmore one is great definitely.

that would rule if they did a bottle rocket criterion one.

i have the birds dvd rented right now so i think i'll check out the extras on that. should be good...

4. Dignan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dignan

Howabout this...

Who wants to sign a petition for a FRICKIN SPECIAL EDITION DVD of OFFICE SPACE!!!!!!!!

Whats with the crappy dvd? I want more.

I also want a criterion of bottlerocket, including the first 15 minute black and white 16mm short...but thats like those bums in the forums wanting G5s...Not gonna happen for a long while

-D

Did you see how I included something about a mac in this post? There may be hope for me yet.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'll sign for both of em.

heck, if they give me the footage i'll make the dang things! ha.

ahhh... right. wes gives me a call "heard you were interested in putting out the bottle rocket expanded dvd...."

dare to dream.

6. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

----------------------------------------

Hi, my name is Steve. I come from a rough area. I used to be addicted to crack but now I am off it and trying to stay clean. That is why I am selling magazine subscriptions.

----------------------------------------
    The above was actually in my paste buffer when I read the thread....spooky...

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Uhhhh

What about GLADIATOR!!!

That is awesome on DVD. Fighting scenes are awesome.

Ronin is good, matrix is too.

GLADIATOR IS THE BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!

I have watched it maybe 40 times, and i know every damn part of it.

Its cool, because I visited Rome, and thats exactly the way it would have been. All the Senate buildings and the Forum (not this one) are all partly there, but you can only IMAGINE the way it was.

Collaseum is awesome too. DId you know that had ship battles there?

8. Dignan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dignan

I heard that bottlerocket special dvd has been in the works for looong time, but they want the 16mm short, but that has legal issues that come with it...Oh well.

I like the transfer of crouching tiger...very cool. Some good extras as well. A.I. and Cast Away are two dvds with tons of extra features that are pretty cool....Cast Away had good things about the filmmaking proccess on an island in the middle of no where...very interesting. Ive gotten quite a few dvds in the past week...which are as follows

Rudy special edition
    Monty Python and Holy Grail Special edition
    The graduate anniversary edition
    Out of Sight Collectors edition

All are very cool...

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hmm. legal issues. weird. making money off a student film or something?

ahh, somehow i haven't seen the crouching tiger one... will have to check it out. there's a special edition out or no?

yeah, cast away was great. how they did all the research and all the day shooting changed to night... amazing.

10. mr.w macrumors regular

I think shrek is one of the best DVD's out there. It has a lot of little kids stuff on it (games, riddles, more cartoons) I just think it was put together really nicely. It's a damn funny movie too, with some amazing 3d graphics.

11. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

You guys shouldn't forget T2: Ultimate Edition. That was a great buy.

Another one I truly liked was the Goonies. Maybe it's because it's my favorite movie of all time but who cares?

All of the Kevin Smith DVD's were good, too. I heard there's gonna be a super super edition of Clerks. I want that one for sure.

The Crouching Tiger DVD from Hong Kong was a little bit better than the one for America, it came with two music videos.

The Superbit DVD's are lame unless if you got a rockin' entertainment center.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else at this moment

12. nicely macrumors member

Mr. Show

I also have Tenenbaums preordered at Amazon. I just picked up HBO's Mr. Show with Bob and David seasons 1 and 2 DVD set. It's so funny. I can't wait for seasons 3 and 4. Bob Odenkirk and David Cross are going to be on Conan tonight. Check it out.

13. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Hehe I know this sounds stupid but... Snow White Special Edition DVD. The second DVD in there is all about the making-of-Snow White and it is great. It shows all about how the filters worked, how they made the revised version look like the original with computers, deleted scenes, everything. It is pretty much a must see for animators.

Off topic, doesn't the witch in Snow White and the cat in Alice in Wonderland scare you? I don't know why but they freak me out every time I see them, even if they don't look scary.. weird.

irmongoose

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

is john canemaker on that? i was pretty sure he does commentary or interviews or something on there.... recognize the name?

15. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yeah I think so. I don't have the DVD with me now so I can't check it, but I am pretty sure that guy was one of the guys who were interviewed.

irmongoose

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, i thought so. that's cool.

he was my teacher last semester... and the head of some department at my school. it was weird. the monday after chuck jones died, we had class, and we had a little tribute to him. then that night the teacher (canemaker) was on some news show being interviewed about chuck jones and said "today in my class... i was telling the students. blah blah blah"..

kinda funny. if i can't be on tv, it's fun to be kinda referred to on tv. ha

17. Dignan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dignan

Crouching tiger is a good disc, one of my favorite movies as well.

And man, I hate people that cant enjoy the movie because people "fly" in it.

"They are flying around! its so dumb! Thats so not realistic!!!"

And yet people have no problems with a movie about a guy bitten by a radioactive spider that gains superpowers, after which defeating supervillians and rejecting the only girl who he has ever loved who happens to be kirsten dunst, making over 100 million opening weekend....

Gotta love it.

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you didn't mention the terrible writing, bad casting, or bad acting (probably due mainly to the writing).

so dig, any good movies come out lately you'd recommend or are looking forward to? i just got my email notice saying brotherhood of the wolf is available for pre-order... the dvd seems scarce though, blah... and it doesn't come out til oct 1.... hmmm. that movie is visually. amazing.

19. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Heh. That's pretty cool! He was teaching animation at your school?

irmongoose

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, he used to be the head of the animation dept, but has since moved up in the ranks. he has taught the class most semesters for a while i guess, though someone is taking over for him next year i think. he will probably still teach other things sometimes i'm sure...

cool thing about it was, as bad as my drawing is, my animation skills are decent (timing, etc) and so to hear him say that my animations were good, funny, etc. is great. just great to have a top animation scholar give a boost of confidence. that said, he's just a really nice laid back guy. and i got a b+. not bad. but what the??? this if film school! ha

21. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Yo Dig, this is a good one! As for me...

Bob Dylan: Don't Look Back is GREAT. D.A. Pennebaker interviews about freating what we now know as the docudrama, live bonus treacks from Dylan in concert circa '68-'69. it's outstanding!

I'll agree with Lawrence of Arabia, as the whole package is REALLY well done. fabulous transfer. Ben Hur is a well done DVD as well.

ANYTHING Criterion. I love the Samauri Trilogy, Gimme Shelter, Rushmore, Last Temptation of Christ, and, oddly enough, The Rock. All of the DVDs in the collection are wonderful, though. Can't wait for Tenenbaums!

Tron: 20th Anniversary Edition is really well done. Beautiful transfer, TONS of special features and interviews.

The Last Waltz Special Edition that just came out is HUGE!!! Besides being the greatest concert movie ever made, the transfer (both audio and video) is immaculate and the commentary tracks are really solid.

That's what I'm diggin' on lately. Thanks again for the PIMP thread! :D

22. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Fight Club was a great DVD... and mad propst to fox in general because they put out entire seasons of their shows on dvd (simpsons/xFiles)

ahhh.. thats where all my money goes :)

C-

23. Dignan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dignan

Yes! Fight club, good disc, as well as the rock criterion...

The movies I am getting into recently are definately "The Graduate" (Saw it for the first time a few weeks ago. Now I realize that Rushmore isnt that original at all. A shame.) And "Out of Sight" is actually a good disc, good behind the scenes with interesting interviews, about a half hour of deleted scenes...But here is my favorite...something like "spotlight on music", so I figured it was david holmes talking about his scoring (david holmes kicks ass!) but guess what it was? Just the scenes in the movie that feature his music...how freaky is that? Oh yeah, it also has soderbergh and screenwriter commentary, but I havent watched it yet.

Good movies coming out? I dunno, I am always behind on newer flicks...I assume black hawk down is good (havent seen it), but I guess the big stuff coming out is like, Lord of the rings hoopla (there are gonna be 3 variants of the movie on dvd...what a ripoff!!!)

If you dont have "DOGMA" on dvd, its definately a good one, one of the most packed dvds out there...something like 3 hours of cut stuff, absolutely insane. Ill browse amazon a little and see if there are any coming out soon that I would check out...

24. Dignan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dignan

Oh yeah, surprisingly, I liked the dvd commentary for "There's something about mary", which consists of the faraley brothers pointing out the people they know who were extras the entire movie. "Yes thats bob right there, bob owned a mercedes dealership in baltimore. Great guy. Great guy." (the whole movie they do that)

I liked Oceans 11 commentary by pitt, damon, and andy garcia. Pitt is hilarious. Damon is funny and has some good things to say. Everything andy garcia says is pointless.

25. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter