Your favorite Final Fantasy game...

Discussion in 'Community' started by dave1234, Dec 21, 2003.

1. dave1234 macrumors regular

Feb 1, 2003
    Playing games alot, of course I have played Final Fantasy VII, then when VIII came out of course I played it. I enjoyed both of those games, I enjoyed them to their fullest. Today I purchased Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy Chronichles, and Final Fantasy Anthology.
    I played Final Fantasy X, but I stopped (Bllitz Ball).
    Just wondering what everyones favorite Final Fantasy game was.

I'm still conflicted, I can't decide if mine is VII, or VIII. I won't decide until I have played through all of th eones I purchased today, it may sound like it will take a long time, but I'm on Christmas Vacation, so...I have time.
  2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

Jul 16, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    If you count Final Fantasy Tactics, that would win hands down. Final Fantasy Tactics was the best game ever.

If you don't, then I would go for Final Fantasy VIII. I loved that card game and I thought the cheesy love story was what was missing from Final Fantasy VIII. Also, I liked the idea of the Guardian Forces and how they worked.

3. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I would say 8 as well. I don't own a PlayStation, so I've only played 7 and 8 back when I had a PC. If I can find the PSX versions somewhere, for cheap, then I might pick them up and run them in VGS. It's a shame FF9 doesn't run in VGS (due to the copy protection).
  4. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    Gorgeous, WA
    VII wins, VIII blows. "Better" graphics, but I could not stand the main character and didn't care for the story. Same with IX (except the main character was OK, just not compelling) and X (whiny little bitch boy as main character doesn't do it for me).

"II" and "III" are both better than the last three installments in the series. Tactics games excluded.

I've pretty much given up on the FF franchise. It won me over with II, then I played VII years later and was hooked as though on I went back and played I and III, when VIII came out...utter disgust and disappointment. Then IX...meh, OK, but not great. X, well, screw you you little blond whiner, screw you Squaresoft for rudely eliminating the classic opening music as if you're "too good for that now" and don't ever expect me to play another one of the FF games except tactics. And maybe CC.

They totally let me down.

And if they ever have the brains to make a sequel to Vagrant Story, if they screw that up I will have to kill them all. That game was awesome.
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Nothing will ever touch FFVII. I think any FF gamer will tell you that. I don't know much about FF Chronicles or Anthology....what are they?

FF VIII was too linear -- you couldn't walk around like you did in number VII. In fact, you had to go where they told you to go, and you didn't really have much choice. I didn't feel like exploring the world as I did in number VII. In fact, no FF game has come close to making me feel as though I could and should know the entire world like the back of my hand. The story was good, though.

FF IX: Better than VIII, but too cartoonish. I thought I was playing a Nintendo game. It DID make me want to explore its world a bit more, much like in FF VII. The story was decent, but not as good as in FF VIII.

FF X: I'm playing it right now. I like it, but like in FF VIII, the story is too linear. All you do is go from one predetermined place to another, much like in VIII --- too linear.

FF X-2: My bro is playing it right now. The story is supposedly worse than FF X, but its more fun to play. The graphics are great, and its cool that you get to freely go to all the towns and places you went to in FF X, plus a few more places. I'll start playing X-2 next.

FF VII still owns.
  6. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    I got 2 copies of FF X (im not sure if thats the name, its the 2nd latest version for PS2) for free from square soft about 4 months before it was released. They said I couldn't sell it on ebay or anything. I bet some FF nut would pay $$ to have the game before anyone. :p

I didn't like the game. I felt like I would push the attack button and it would do the rest. The movies in the game were way too long for my taste. I can see how people would like the game a lot though.