Your favourite email client?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by generik, Jul 29, 2006.

1. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    I kinda like Apple mail and its spotlight integration, but more and more I am getting tired of its slow performance, so I'd like to hear more from the fanbase about other options.

What's your favourite email client?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I use Mail but I have to keep restarting it each day or so because it simply stops finding new emails. I've tried every trick in the book to get it working but nothing's worked. It's the same on both of my Macs. :(

On my Dell, I use Outlook Express. Office's Outlook 2003 is too ugly, clunky and slow for me.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    *runs and hides* In a lot of ways, Outlook. :eek: But I generally like
  4. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    i tried entourage but for some reason it doesnt find my incoming mail. so i just stick with the mail app
  5. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    I still use Claris Em@iler.

Works well for my needs.
  6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    I use Mail ever since I got my mac, works for me.
  7. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2003
    Eudora, no contest.

I've got >42,000 emails, from just now back to 1991, in a dozen mailboxes and I can search them very quickly based on email body, To, From, CC, Subject, or any other header, or attachment name, or date range, or label, or any of several other search parameters or any combination of them, and the results can exist as a permanent window like as OS X "smart folder".

I get spam-bombed all the time (I'm stubborn and don't want to keep changing my email address, so mine have been "out there" for a long long time) but I have a FORMIDABLE array of filters (about 4600 lines' worth) and somewhere between 99.75 and 99.8 % of my spam is caught, labeled, and trashed, and the rest of my email is nicely sorted, assigned to an appropriate account ("personality"), and may beep normally, give a special alert beep, or not beep at all depending on various parameters.

EDIT: Oh, and also, you never see people come in here and post "Eek, my Eudora mailbox got corrupted, Eudora won't open it, I've got a bunch of important emails in there I need access to, whatever shall I do?". The Eudora email file format is plain text and can be scavenged and/or edited with BBEdit or TextWrangler very nicely. I once had a massive hard drive directory-structure snafu (HFS Catalog file hosed under MacOS 9.0.4) and the folder containing my Eudora folder and its mailboxes just turned up missing. Did a text-string scavenge-and-recover and got zillions and zillions of text fragments and was able to pipe them into Filemaker Pro, sort them, and export them with delimiters as a Eudora mailbox file and then mass-move them to their proper Eudora mailboxes easily enough.

EDIT FOR TYPO: 99.8% originally entered as 88.8%
  8. HugMnster macrumors member

Mar 31, 2006
    Tyler, Tx
  9. xPismo macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    #9 for me. I don't see the performance problems, but then again I don't have nearly as much email as I had before. I'm down to 4 addresses with ~20 emails a day each.

Have you checked out the add-ons for the mail app to fix many of the hangups? The ones I use are in my sig.
  10. trebor31 macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2006
    Mac Mail
    No question.
    Never had a single issue with it.
  11. moonislune macrumors regular

Sep 11, 2005
    Mozilla Thunderbird

I've been using Thunderbird for a while now and love it. I previously used Outlook (mulitple versions up to 2003) and Apple Mail. As I dual boot Windows and OS X on my mini, I can use thunderbird in both Mac and Win using the same files and directories (via fat 32). Pretty slick and free. The search is fast and like Eudora.
  12. moot macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2004
    in the great Asian wonderland
    Mail - but for some reason it keeps taking accounts offline. This is frustarting when I am waiting for a mail and I forget to make sure all my acconts are online.
  13. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Jan 19, 2003
    In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Don't tell me you run that in classic? I thought Claris emailer was the best emailer back in the OS 7 - 9 days. Now I think most email software it just bloated, and there hasn't been any real mail interface improvements since the 90s.
  14. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    Yep, still run it in Classic on my PB15.

I like it's simple interface, ease of use and simplicity. Also like that it is ASCII only.

I tried Mail, but didn't like it. I tried Entourage as well. For right now I am happy using Em@iler.
  15. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
  16. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2005
    San Jose, CA
  17. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    I've played around with some other clients, but always return to Mail. I absolutely HATE Thunderbird for Mac. Feels really incomplete to me.
  18. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    I rather like Mail. Used to use Outlook and Outlook Express on windows before, would alternate every 6 months or so...used thunderbird for a while there too but it kept having huge problems so i gave up.

In fairness to Outlook, its about the best product microsoft has ever made.

that doesn't mean much though.
  19. macaddicted macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    Down on Copperline...
    I've tried, at various times recently, Entourage, Thunderbird and Mail. While Mail may not be the greatest out there I have come to like the junk mail filter, especially the ability to drag apparent junk emails to the junk folder and open them without them calling to the internet.